PIRANHA DYING HELP

vaipulu

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
Missouri
!st I Broke every single rule to keeping fish today. My room mate bought a Violet Dragon goby for his 120 gal fish tank. ( WHERE I HAPPEN TO BE KEEPING 6 RBP) while they are baby's they were nipping at his fish ( why the big dragon goby and not the danios we used to cycle the tank I have no idea) in a panic he demanded I remove my RBP

Here is where I know I royally screwed up

1. I threw them into a 20 gal tank, That I had to set up on the spot, yea so the tank hasn't even started new tank syndrome.

2 They bit the bag I had them in on the way up stairs... by the time I got to my 20 gal almost no water was left in bag. So I dumped them, no acclimation

3. I just treated the water and planned on mixing the conditioner while they were acclimating... so while it the chemical was added and the filter was running... it had only been circulating for about 15 min.

Now my RBP are just laying on the aqurium floor, while up right they are bearly moving and just sitting on the floor. What can I do.

Do your best to contain comments on my stupidity... although I deserve it.

What Can I do to save my fish.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
vaipulu;4143068; said:
!st I Broke every single rule to keeping fish today. My room mate bought a Violet Dragon goby for his 120 gal fish tank. ( WHERE I HAPPEN TO BE KEEPING 6 RBP) while they are baby's they were nipping at his fish ( why the big dragon goby and not the danios we used to cycle the tank I have no idea) in a panic he demanded I remove my RBP

Here is where I know I royally screwed up

1. I threw them into a 20 gal tank, That I had to set up on the spot, yea so the tank hasn't even started new tank syndrome.

2 They bit the bag I had them in on the way up stairs... by the time I got to my 20 gal almost no water was left in bag. So I dumped them, no acclimation

3. I just treated the water and planned on mixing the conditioner while they were acclimating... so while it the chemical was added and the filter was running... it had only been circulating for about 15 min.

Now my RBP are just laying on the aqurium floor, while up right they are bearly moving and just sitting on the floor. What can I do.

Do your best to contain comments on my stupidity... although I deserve it.

What Can I do to save my fish.
Do you have another tank already set up? You could use the aged water and the filter media from that tank to quickly cycle your new tank (or skip it all together)

Another idea would've been to have put a divider in the 120 seperating the reds and the Goby. I know you had to do all this in a hurry so this is all in hindsight. I think at this point you're just going to have to ride it out

vaipulu

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
Missouri
ballinouttacntrol;4143092; said:
Do you have another tank already set up? You could use the aged water and the filter media from that tank to quickly cycle your new tank (or skip it all together)

t
Brilliant... adding water from other tank, and filters from other tank ASAP

Thank you.

chasingtime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2006
ny
if they are babies go to walmart and get a floating breeder holder and put them back in the 120 quick. keep us posted please...

vaipulu

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
Missouri
chasingtime;4143150; said:
if they are babies go to walmart and get a floating breeder holder and put them back in the 120 quick. keep us posted please...
Asked if I could use a separator and room mate will hear nothing of the sort...

however I have a 55 gal with my gar... Im not sure if I should risk netting them again and stressing them out even farther.

update in about 15 min

chasingtime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2006
ny
vaipulu;4143170; said:
Asked if I could use a separator and room mate will hear nothing of the sort...

however I have a 55 gal with my gar... Im not sure if I should risk netting them again and stressing them out even farther.

update in about 15 min
a floating breeder is about the size of a bowl of cereal and just floats at the top. can be removed by just lifting it out. not sure i like your room mate very much...

vaipulu

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
Missouri
room mate appears happy that piranha are not doing well... if I didn't like fish I would Windex his tank.

5 of the 6 RBP are schooling together and and are swimming around looking healthy (YESSSSS) Another thing I didn't take into account is that my heater probably didn't have enough time to warm everything up... However the water Is getting back to a reasonable temp and I'm starting to see that "spark" of life in 5 of them....#6 however is not so spiffy... and is still laying on floor (right side up) and is breathing but is not joining the school. Thank you all for the help, any ideas on saving #6

I know that 5 out 6 is good odds but I would like to save them all.

chasingtime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2006
ny
lights off and leave them to relax. some surface agitation for oxygen...

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
piranhas are little toughies im sure they go through a much more dramatic pH swing and temp swing every year in the amazon as soon as the rainy season hits( think it dosen't gradualy start raining during the rainy season one day it will be dry and the next it pours)

i'd put money on that # 6 will pull together in a bit just be patient.

On a side note: Adding aged water from another tank will do NOTHING to help your cycle the bacteria that we want do not live in the water column they live only on surfaces. Adding a filter from another tank will help tremendously though.

vaipulu

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
Missouri
Turned off the light and covered the tank in a towel to make it dark in there... before I did 5 were doing well and #6 was just lying there but breathing. Ill see what happens tomorrow. Thanks for the help ill update in the morning... Im hoping the cycleing will be ok... 6 fish 20 gal doesn't sound well but we will see

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store