Pleco Down

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
One of my fab 5 odd looking baby pleco's has been not eating or moving much for 48 hrs now. He'll stick to the side, but seems tired and weak. I have 2 others from the same tank at my lfs and they're fine. They all are pretty small. I hope he comes around. I added air, there's stress quantity salt already and heated it up a couple degrees. He moves a litte, but hasn't been eating.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Check for sunken stomach. Offer them fresh veggies, they will likely take to those better.

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
OK, I'll feed my fish a cucumber , what is "sunken stomach", signs, diagnosis, treatment? Cucumbers, OK. I'll leave the jokes alone on this one. HAH! OK, that's it, I'm done

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Cucumber will work. But, try kiwi fruit slices. The cat will get more nourishment from the kiwi and kiwi has the added benefit of sinking on its' own. Sliced raw potato (sinks also) will help bulk the pleco up, too.

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
OK, we have a winner, I have potatoes! No cukes, zukes or kiwi's, I gave em a carrot! He won't touch it. Little bleep. Stomach looks ummm normal, like normal as any pleco can be. He won't unfold his top fins either. But he's moving around more....thanks guys;)

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Sounds like he is just a little stressed out. Give him some time with the lights out and he will be gone, you will never see him again... haha. Main thing to worry about with plecos that small is sunken stomach, but if he doesn't have signs of that then all should be well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store