need help on foods

dark stranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
wyoming
i'm wondering which foods are the best for my pleco
i'm kinda limited to what wal-mart has because the only petsmart is in Billings Montana which is like three hours away but i'm going up there in a couple of weeks so i can get diffrent stuff then but for now all wal-mart has is hikari and wardley algae discs and tetra foods right now i've got 2 convicts 1 jack dempsy and the pleco so he's getting tetracichlid and freeze dried blood worms i did have some kind of freeze dried shrimp mixed in he really liked those
i'm kinda wondering which will make him grow more
so i'm open to suggestions

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
All you need is a grocery store and the internet. Algae wafers, spirulina sticks, veggie sticks, grocery store zucchini, frozen peas, frozen green beans, kiwi slices/wedges, potato slices, etc are all good fare for your pleco. And, don't forget to offer the occassional animal proteins in earthworm sticks, frozen bloodworms, black worms, chopped earthworms, etc to round out the cat's diet.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The Hikari is better than wardley. Even better than that for plecos will be to offer a wide variety of fresh veggies. I use zucchini primarily but also offer potato, cucumber, sweet potato, and carrots, regularly. Also I feed frozen bloodworms and beefheart. Depending on what kind of pleco you have, it may also need wood in its diet.

dark stranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
wyoming
thanks guys:grinyes:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
fresh foods are best. it depends on your pleco too. what sp. helps to determine whether it is omniovorous or carnivorous or just a veggie, but either way, balanced diet is best. all of the above are good, i tend to stay away from algae wafers

dark stranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
wyoming
it's a common pleco about 4 inch's i tried mango slices but he wouldn't eat them my jd liked them i'll try some vegetable and se if he will eat them:grinyes:

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Cut a zuchinni into slices boil it in a little water 2 min with a crushed garlic clove.Freeze the"coins" and thaw one out every few days.My plecs go nuts for that.I also boil a little fresh spinach once a week for them.

dark stranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
wyoming
thanks guys:grinyes:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
you can feed "commons" anything really veggie wise. frozen shelled peas, broccolli, lettuce, potato, cucumber, zucchini, carrot and maybe suede. do try feed some protein like bloodworms or prawn aswell. the colours will be better, and he'll be healthier for it.

dark stranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
wyoming
thanks i'll try some zucchini and some other veggies:grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store