Pleco strange behavior

OSCARLOVER

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2006
Omaha, Ne.
I currently have 2 common plecos. One is 9" and the other is 16". I noticed that my big one is getting more aggressive. He used to be really docile. I see him chasing the small one around and on occassion the big one will chase my oscars around. My oscars wont let him suck on them, the O's always bite and it scares the big pleco away. Is this normal behavior when plecos get big and live in a community tank? I feed them lots of vegies.
Another thing. When I am feeding my oscars their Hakari large pellets the big pleco will go to the top and get ahold of a pellet. He will swim completly vertical and motionless while this pellet rolls around around in his mouth. Im not sure if he is doing this for entertainment or because he likes it. Considering the pellets are intended for oscars/cichlids, would this affect my pleco health?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
your pleco is perfectly healthy. sometimes they will come to the surface and do that because they are quite hungry, and need/want more food, so you could try feeding him more, but sometimes they just get a taste for stuff. ive only had commons do it personally, but it is really cool because you can handfeed them and stroke thier belly, without getting your hand wet lol. the aggression things happens. its bigger, it wants a territory, it will bully the small one. esp. if male. if its too bad, you'll have to move them apart...

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
If you are feeding exclusively on veggies that is your problem. As plecos get larger they become more aggressive, and need more protein in their diets. Start offering some kind of high protein food such as beefheart or bloodworms. I had a big one that would dive bomb tankmates and suck them... cold. If you don't supply the protein, they will find it.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
if it is attempting to suck any fish its a bad sign. its after the slime coat, and eventually will kill the fish. if they get a taste, your doomed...

OSCARLOVER

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2006
Omaha, Ne.
I really dont think the big pleco is tring to suck the slime coat off. Its more of a territorial thing it looks more than anything. I keep a close eye on them all the time. Who knows what goes on when im sleeping. It only seems to happen like 1-2 times a week. I do plan on taking the pleco out and putting it in a tank of its own and feed it like crazy:D . If I dont get a tank for it I will end up putting in a outdoor pond. I feel confident enough to build one plus I have done my share of reasearch. I really appreciate all the help and info.
Also would it be safe for the big pleco to eat chicken liver. Maybe cut a few small pieces and rinse it off before putting it in so it doesnt cloud the water as bad. Just a thaught. He sure does love the cucumbers and orange slices. THanks again guys!:thumbsup:

dark stranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
wyoming
my 4 inch common pleco does that too he'll swim after my four and a half inch jack dempsy
:grinyes:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
if its only once or twice a week (obv your not watching 24/7) it shouldnt be too bad, but it might get worse as they get bigger... wash the liver well, im sure it'll enjoy it

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
my common plec spends most of his time on a piece of rootwood. He will suck on the glass sometimes. So far no aggession towards other fish. Good luck with him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store