White Oscar fin tips?

Conor1148

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2010
US
my oscars tail fin tip has turned a little white, idk what this is.

i know hes in a tank thats a little small, but ill have his new one soon.

tank a look at the pictures and see what you guys think, sorry for the crappy camera. (the camera makes the water look yellow? )

P6095497.JPG

P6095500.JPG

Conor1148

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2010
US
in the first picture, he has a little spot behind his eye. this is a little bit of damage from hitting a piece of driftwood. i kinda spooked him on accident and he went right into it :(

but he's healed very well though!

Reptilesfishbirdsmammals

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Arizona
well idk man its a beautiful oscar but other than that i dont know if that would be normal for it or not i mean it could just be growing maybe..idk but good luck finding out

Conor1148

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2010
US
thanks guys. it doesnt look like the tail is frayed or anything (for lack of better term).

if it is rotting, what do i do? ive had enough of pet stores telling me the wrong kind of medications to use :irked:

edit- is it ok if its slightly transparent?

jizon82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
outside
i think its normal to look like that. i have owned oscars before and that's how mine would look when they were growing. not sure about medications for fin rot. the only stuff i do for treating fish is mela and primafix with aquarium salt, works great for me.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Other than his eye being way too big and his caudal peduncle being grossly scrawny from stunting, I don't see anything ailing this fish that you can treat without a bigger tank.

His growth margin ought to be a lot thicker than that, too. The clear area at the edge of the fins indicates new growth. His is too thin. He is not going to live a very good life. Expect chronic ailments and a life of incurable and recurring diseases. Way to ruin an Oscar.

Here's a healthy margin:
At four inches long, the body should look like this.

Conor1148

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2010
US
Sorry that my 3 inch petsmart rescue doesnt look just like yours?

Ill make sure to go give him a stern talking to about his eye being to big too. :nilly:

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Conor1148;4200167; said:
Sorry that my 3 inch petsmart rescue doesnt look just like yours?

Ill make sure to go give him a stern talking to about his eye being to big too. :nilly:
he wasnt saying it was your oscars fault, he was saying its your fault for keeping it in too small a tank, how long have you had it? as he is right that oscar is sadly already being stunted and needs to be in a larger tank asap, you can start to help it by doing larger, more frequent water changes until you can get the larger tank set-up and yes that white edging on the fins is normal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store