375 gallon stocking advice

KingDread

Feeder Fish
Jun 13, 2010
Indiana
Hello. First time poster here, but have been browsing through many of the topics on this forum over the past several days. Definitely the best fish forum I have visited! :)

Anyways, by the beginning of next year or possibly sooner, I might be able to get my hands on a 375 gallon tank (dimensions are 96"x36"x25"). Cichla have definitely caught my eye, but first I was wondering if any of you would have any advice on how to stock it? I know these fish get huge, and I figured once they have reached 20" or so, I would probably be limited on how many I could fit. My initial plan was to attempt to stock it with 12 various pbass (excluding the real big guys like tems), and as they grow weed them out to my favorite 5-6 for my final stock. How many full grown pbass do you think could fit without being too crowded in a tank of this size?

I am also very curious to see some pics of your setups with full grown pbass or at least close to full grown. I've seen many beautiful setups on this site, but it's hard to tell if they were full grown or not. I'd like to be able to get a grasp of how much room is available in big tanks once these guys get huge.

Thanks a lot!

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
there is a thread on here called the Adult cichla thread check it out !!!! Probly 6 to 8 full grown cichla .I have not got to that point yet on having 6 to 8 full grown bass but i can tell you you have to be dedicated on water changes big time as these guys EAT AND POOP ALOT!!As long as your good with that than everything is good!!!!

KingDread

Feeder Fish
Jun 13, 2010
Indiana
Yeah, I've read a lot on how these guys are real messy, but keeping up with water changes and feeding will not be problem as I am self employed and have a lot of free time.

Also, I saw that adult cichla thread, but not very many full tank shots that showcases how much room is available. However, there are some real beasts in that thread!

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
KingDread;4210361; said:
Yeah, I've read a lot on how these guys are real messy, but keeping up with water changes and feeding will not be problem as I am self employed and have a lot of free time.

Also, I saw that adult cichla thread, but not very many full tank shots that showcases how much room is available. However, there are some real beasts in that thread!
Ok if you want full tank shots look on Jcardona's threads one of the nicest tanks on here it was!!!!! Also his was a 405 gal close to what you got.He had olot of Orino witch are one of my favs i have five of them now!!!!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sounds like you have plenty of time to read up and research the different species of cichla before you actually get your tank.That way you can decide which ones appeal to you the most and concentrate on those only.You may have trouble unloading the ones that you no longer want to keep once they get to adult size.

KingDread

Feeder Fish
Jun 13, 2010
Indiana
Hah yeah. I've seen feeding vids of these guys on youtube, and I think I'll have to save up a bit more money to get me a nice wetsuit. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store