Feeding while on vacation

PB2010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
McKinney, TX
I am going to be leaving town for about a week. Is it safe to put in a bunch of feeders while gone and let them fend for themselves? If not what would you recommend?

Diamond01ar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
How large are your bass? And for one you should try and stay away from feeders in general. Secondly, if you were to do that they most likely will over eat to death, or just eat all the food on the first day. They probably would not even notice one of those weekend feeder tablets. Your best bet is to find someone you trust and train them on feeeding so they can care for them while your away. Plus that way there is someone to check on your house too!

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
if they are 5-6" plus then I would just fast them for a week. Especially if you have them off of live then this could prove detrimental to that.

Diamond01ar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Nothing is wrong nutritionally with gups as long as you quarintine and feed a variety along with. As they grow they require more feeders and can end up being costly. Also when they are on live food it is much harder to get them to eat dried or frozen. The sooner you get them off live the more foods they will accept. Just my opinion.

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
My Ocell went for over 4 weeks without eating, don't sweat it..........

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
what are they currently eating?

High City Rida

C.R.E.A.M.
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
In the air and I ain't comin down!
I see nothing wrong with starving them out for a week. I also agree with you could always find a friend to help you out.

IMO and from peronal experience as I always do I leave feeders in with my Bass all the time while there under 8''. But I have another tank where starving them out is apart of the way I am raising this group of Cichla.

What ever you choose they sho0uld be fine.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
If you can't fine anyone to feed your fish, let it go until you come back from vacation. Feed them plenty up until the day you leave. Fatten 'em up and they will be OK. It's not the best thing to do, but a week is not bad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store