Baby Cichla Care

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
Hey guys.

Can you give me so tips for healthy baby cichla, they are small, like 8 cm or so, i have a 2.5' growut, before they go into a 6', then further etc. What should i be feeding, what maintainance routine, should I invest in a external filter (2 internals atm), thanks for help guys.

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
Eric A;4213806; said:
Hey guys.

Can you give me so tips for healthy baby cichla, they are small, like 8 cm or so, i have a 2.5' growut, before they go into a 6', then further etc. What should i be feeding, what maintainance routine, should I invest in a external filter (2 internals atm), thanks for help guys.
Temps should be 86 to 89 they just do better hikari for dry feed some freeze also tilapia fillet choppin mouth size pieces dried shrimp always good for color.If you are feeding live gut fill the live with Hikari gold.Maintinance at small fry stage once a week 35% water change .Fitration as much as your willing to spend!!!!they love water movement even ad power heads just for movement.My 180 gallon has 1400 gals per hour and i bet they would not mind more.

High City Rida

C.R.E.A.M.
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
In the air and I ain't comin down!
HULON;4213998; said:
Temps should be 86 to 89 they just do better hikari for dry feed some freeze also tilapia fillet choppin mouth size pieces dried shrimp always good for color.If you are feeding live gut fill the live with Hikari gold.Maintinance at small fry stage once a week 35% water change .Fitration as much as your willing to spend!!!!they love water movement even ad power heads just for movement.My 180 gallon has 1400 gals per hour and i bet they would not mind more.
Great advice!

I would also throw in there as far as food in concearned blood worms and if you can get a hold of any some live black worms. At that size I would just try to find Rosies Reds smaller then the Cichla itself, that would work best until they put on more size.

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
Well, now i'm thinking that, even though a 2 foot is smaller, it would be better, cos it's a tank on it's own, with no tankmates. I have a internal filter rated for 200 litre tank lined up, so no biggy there, will be barebottom, so live blackworms no problem.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Agree with High City and Hulon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store