Death after the transfer

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
My biggest mono, at 4 inches, died about 15 minutes after i put him in the new tank last night :( He was swimming oddly, then he lost all his energy and was dead very fast. The other smaller ones are perfectly fine and eating this morning. Any ideas on what happened?

**The airstone came out of the water in the plastic tub so i think they may have been without air for a couple of hours. You think this could have killed him?

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
Bennlfer;4217987; said:
My biggest mono, at 4 inches, died about 15 minutes after i put him in the new tank last night :( He was swimming oddly, then he lost all his energy and was dead very fast. The other smaller ones are perfectly fine and eating this morning. Any ideas on what happened?

**The airstone came out of the water in the plastic tub so i think they may have been without air for a couple of hours. You think this could have killed him?
Well i am just 7 months into pbass but even just slighly larger than fry seem to not only have trouble with transport and or transfer.Just suddenly die !!!! I have not had happen yet knock on wood but it does happen often.

marauders30

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
san diego
i dont know if its the air stone. it very well could be, but ive transported fish many times with no air stone for a couple of hours. they were not cichla though so maybe thats the difference. also, how big was the container? mine are usually big when i take them for long trips

High City Rida

C.R.E.A.M.
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
In the air and I ain't comin down!
If it all happened that fast it was more then the air stone. Did you take any readings? What is the temp? And how long has the tank been running? What size tank? Last what is you filltration? Would love to answer the question Yes this can happen and does. Sorry for your loss. But of course you have the others to look out for now.

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
High City Rida;4218045; said:
If it all happened that fast it was more then the air stone. Did you take any readings? What is the temp? And how long has the tank been running? What size tank? Last what is you filltration? Would love to answer the question Yes this can happen and does. Sorry for your loss. But of course you have the others to look out for now.
The levels were in check: ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20. The temp was about 86. The bucket they were in was an 18 gallon plastic tub. No filtration for the few hours they were in there but i kept the heat on. The tank they were in has been running for a few months now and the new tank i got was cleaned like new but i am using my established filters on it. They went from a 20 gallon long to a 30 gallon. The filtration in the 30 gallon now is an AC70 and an AC30.

I<3fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Sounds like they weren't properly acclimated to the new tank, did you use the drip method? And going from a 20 gallon to a 30 gallon is basically a useless upgrade, going to let you know. I hope you have a 180+ already set up.

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
The 30 has lights and the taller height makes it so my filters dont stir up the sand.. Dont say anything unless you know the situation please.

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
I<3fish;4218682; said:
Sounds like they weren't properly acclimated to the new tank
I used the same water they were in in the bucket and the water temp was constant. They were put back into the same water, just new tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store