Why are my Pbass so scared?

Mauiboi

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2010
Hawaii
Just bought 2 pbass. Both are 4 inches. Been in my tank for 3 days now and all they do is hide. How can i train them to not be so scared? Thanks.

crager44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Boston MA
As they grow, they get over it as well. Mine used to freak whenever I did a water change. Now they attack the siphon! No fear at all. They are 10" now

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
jevan7;4228425; said:
try keeping them in an area where there is moderate foot traffic theyll get used to it..
Add to this. Plus Hawaiian, your bass are still new. Give them time to get use to you. If tank permits for it, add more bass. Also, tank mates?

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
You have to remember in there mind your the big predator that comes up to the tank and them being babys still and not use to you they hide so they dont get eaten. When they figure out your not going to eat them they'll be all out and about.

polish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2008
Ne, IN
www.tankterrors.com
They will adjust. I grew 2 out a while back, as babies they were skittish. Once they were 6" plus they knew I meant food and would swim back and forth waiting anytime I walked by.

apriliarider15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Utah
I've always used dithers in my grow out tanks which seems to calm them down. For juvi fish under 4-5" giant danios are what I use and later on they also what nutritious meals for your Cichla. Above 4-5" would all be up to you but you can use tinfoil barbs, bala sharks, large clown loachs, or any large shoaling fish that is too big to be eaten. Once your fish get to about 7-8" you no longer need dithers but I would recommend more than just two Cichla to create some competition between them which is going to be more fun for you feeding them and will also help them to get on a variety of foods.

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
Get some dithers like severums...my 1 inch orinos were out of hiding the first day I got them, and they are not scared of me any more. Just make sure they are approx. the same size as each other.:D

Coues

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2010
New Jersey
Stop walking around the tank naked :grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store