PDA

View Full Version : What's the most grusome death one of your fish has suffered?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

bendohhh
05-13-2011, 7:26 AM
i had an arowana jump ship not long ago, when i got in he was all dry and crispy. sad times :(

jeyy88
05-16-2011, 11:02 PM
had a rainbow shark jump out of the tank and get eaten by our cat- he musta been hungry

had a brand new (had it like less than a day)arowana that we spent like $100 on (I know not an expensive one, but the first fish over like 20 bucks we've bought) and we think our oscar ripped its stomach out and it was too weak to swim and it got stuck in the filter damaging it further- fish store didnt replace it or give us our money back- such a waste of money!

J.Lake
05-16-2011, 11:49 PM
had a rainbow shark jump out of the tank and get eaten by our cat- he musta been hungry

had a brand new (had it like less than a day)arowana that we spent like $100 on (I know not an expensive one, but the first fish over like 20 bucks we've bought) and we think our oscar ripped its stomach out and it was too weak to swim and it got stuck in the filter damaging it further- fish store didnt replace it or give us our money back- such a waste of money!

oscars will do that

jeyy88
05-17-2011, 12:26 AM
oscars will do that

ya lol lesson learned, next aro is going in its own tank (by itself) until it can hold its own

01134MRE
05-18-2011, 12:30 AM
My juvi EBJD got ich and an internal parasite that made his stomach expand like a balloon and got extremely dark for about 3 days then popped and lay at the bottom of the tank with an open stomach trying to breath for half an hour. It was terrible and all the time I couldn't find the net.

My gourami had a stomach parasite. I thought he was just fat until I realized he was puffing up too much and his stomach was ripped open and he could barely move.

Bottomfeeder
05-31-2011, 4:18 PM

That blows. But as someone who has lost his fair share of fish to filter accidents, I can tell you it most likely wasn't the Oscar. When a fish gets stuck in a filter, the body cavity gets ripped out before anything else, almost every time. He probably got stuck in there and just got sucked clean by the filter :( sorry for your loss.

elindra
06-01-2011, 8:02 AM
Has to be my 2 ft Fire eel
It escaped from my tank, slithered under a plastic on the floor which I left there because I just emptied feeders into the tank.

Didn't know he was under and I squished him to death by stepping on him >.<" His his innards spilt out >.<"

Spiritofthesoul
06-01-2011, 9:58 AM
Hmm, where is the dude who chopped his fish's head off and ate it?

jvai
06-02-2011, 4:53 AM
Whole tank Died from neglect, buddy was house watching for a month. Came home water level was too low to be filtered, my filters were just sucking air. Bad smell hit me, all my fish were dead.

Daveys- Mayans cichlids
Gokusons- Festae ( crashed my new car driving to maryland for that fish)
My Gar were the worst i raised them from babys, they were older than my kid. I walked away from the hobby for a while after that.

muffywrx
06-02-2011, 5:25 AM
Whole tank Died from neglect, buddy was house watching for a month. Came home water level was too low to be filtered, my filters were just sucking air. Bad smell hit me, all my fish were dead.

Daveys- Mayans cichlids
Gokusons- Festae ( crashed my new car driving to maryland for that fish)
My Gar were the worst i raised them from babys, they were older than my kid. I walked away from the hobby for a while after that.

this is sad :(

jvai
06-03-2011, 3:22 PM
this is sad :(

Alas Im back now, and time to start a new. Thank you for your sympathy.

Roux14
06-14-2011, 4:54 AM
I had a similar experience with people tank sitting. Went to Italy for 3 weeks and left my tank in the care of my dumbass roomate. I came home to find both tanks green (both filters were unplugged and lights had been on for days) and half full. I lost a Carpintis Texas, Green Phantom Pleco, 2 Thread finned Acaras and a Leopard Cactus Pleco.

paculover
06-14-2011, 10:15 PM
i wuld have to say my own fish.....i use to have a red tail catfish and ate my 9 inch albino tin foil barb, half his body was gone and my 13 inch pacu ate my pangasius catfish who jumped out.

fishcop14
06-14-2011, 10:57 PM
ONE OF MY GUPPYS GOT HIS HEAD STUCK IN THE FILTER AND GOT HIS BRAIN SUCKED OUT THROUGH HIS NOSE! IM SERIOUS!!!!

pktlb
06-30-2011, 9:23 PM
my flowerhorn ate both of my tea cup stingrays and almost ate my motoro
all my stingrays were double my flowerhorns size....

darwinvsjesus
06-30-2011, 10:42 PM
I have two from work. And I can't decide which is more gruesome.

1. While doing a gravel vac on an Oranda tank [We drain a few, then start filling so the hose follows, to save time], the strainer slipped off while I was swapping the hose, and in literally 15 seconds the poor little goldfish was stuck to the very gravel vac where the tubing meets the actual plastic cylinder, and by the time I noticed and darted back to stop the siphon...there was a very loud pop, the hose filled with orange, and I still stopped the siphon. He fell out, sank to the bottom. His intestines and other various insides were spilling out [not just exposed], and his eye had burst. Worst part? When I went to scoop him out for a quick euthanasia, he tried to swim away. His intestine got stuck on a plastic decoration and was literally, and entirely pulled out. So not only did I have to remove the fish, I had to scoop out his innards from the tank. A four year old witnessed the whole thing. wompwomp. Even though it was an accident I felt so guilty about the fish, that I spent half of my break in meditation apologizing to the fish.

2. I pulled a 'dead' Salvini with both eyes missing while the other fish were still chewing at the sockets. When I removed this fish, it flopped and gasped. Again, still alive. He was prompty euthanized. But that was actually pretty shocking. Never underestimate the sheer brutality of a Salvini.

malcolm1
06-30-2011, 10:47 PM
trapped between stones

Cichlidcentral
07-03-2011, 3:56 AM
I have multiple...
1. I was about eight, my first aggressive fish to my edition, bubblegum parrots. I was so excited I forgot that my balloon tetras were screwed. Woke up to all my balloon tetras bellies ripped open and their bodies stuck tithe filter.
2.a few years later I lost my prized bubblegum in a house fire... They survived for a couple of hours after the firefighters retrieved them...
3. New tank new fish, ich outbreak killed my silver arowana, tiger bichir, Senegal bichir, two acei cichlids, on albino pleco ( which I actually revived, he lives to this day I call him lucky), also two black convicts, and lastly my three electric yellows. All I had left was lucky and and half a convict...

Calihawk
07-04-2011, 11:21 PM
trapped between stones

127 hours...Fish version, lol

I went to SoCal for the weekend, when I got back my Kamfa Flowerhorn female was gone! Found her hiding in decor Castle, she's all WHITE. Probably got stuck or just hiding but the castle door exposed her side where other fishes ate at it. Big hole eaten out

Exodon Man
07-07-2011, 2:53 PM
I had a blind cave tetra get sucked into a filter intake. I found what was left of him in the bottom of the canister; cut to peices.

louis76
07-08-2011, 11:53 PM
I lost a 12" Albino Catfish when my 250W Marineland Stealth Pro heater malfunctioned and literally cooked its whole right side; the whole right side was a pinkish color and lost its right Pectoral Fin. It was laying on the bottom gasping hard unable to swim properly. I netted it out of the tank and placed it in a bucket with a water/clove oil solution. :cry:

The heater almost killed of the rest of my stock and contaminated the tank, along with two canister filter. Cost me hundreds of dollars worth of filter media and substrate, not including the hours of work put to decontaminating all the equipment and then resetting the tank. :irked:

Worst experience ever!!! :angryfire

elvispacman
07-09-2011, 2:21 AM
i had this 3 inch catfish(yellow catfish i think) and iwas cleaning his tank.im dumping the water out of the tank and it jumped into the grass,im loking for it but since its brown and so small it doest stand out then 10 minutes i see a little ant trail so i follow it,which led me to the little guy.i take him and put him in water and make sure theres no ants on him. so i put him in the tank with the oscar in it thinking if i keep my eye on it he wont get eaten. i go to fill a container with water and i s ee the catfish is gone and the oscar is gobbling something, i chase it around with my hand until it finally spits hte catfish out. The Catfish was alive even though its little guts were out and its tail was twisted back and could only move his head. and he eventually passed away.never doing that agian

Bxdr
07-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Death Story: I had 3 Oscars (4-6 inches) and 2 Jack Dempsey (6-7 inches and another 3 inches) ...Left college apartment and asked room mates to feed fish but I guess they forgot, 4 day weekend so I came back on the fifth day and the only thing left on one of the Oscars was the skull

Survival Story: (The Bigger Jack Dempsey mentioned above) I know I know, the next part sound bad but I kept the Jack Dempsey in a 3 Gallon tank until he was 5 inches , and transferred to a 2.5 gallon fish bowl. Hence this story , he is prone to jumping out of the fish tanks. First time he jumped out and stayed out for a while he was about 3 inches, when I found him all his exterior fins were dried up. I tossed him back in his tiny tank and he laid on the floor for a good two days but miraculously survived! Thank heavens. The second time he jumped out I think he was on the larger side of 4.5 inches. He managed to flop himself towards the sliding door which is about 12 feet away at 4 am in the morning...so it was barely lit out. My girlfriend all the while watching this "thing" on the floor moving around as if it was a mouse in her thoughts. So she didn't dare go by it. So the Jack Dempsey was flopping around from around 10 pm to 6 am because when sunrise finally came she realized it was a fish! Her exact words were " This mouse is so weird , it just sat there like it's staring at me....It only moved like once in a while"

Funny Story: I finally got myself a 55 gallon tank after 6 months with the Jack Dempsey which killed every single other fish that I got along with him and later on....So he's very happy in that but still very shy when full. Funny part was when I first tossed him in. He was so confused that his fish tank changed but he was not accustomed to it. He swam in circles for about a minute before he figured out the tank was big enough for him. Strangest & funniest thing ever! I wish I video taped the first release into the bigger tank

Spencerfish98
07-16-2011, 11:05 AM
I had a pleco that got sick. He was about 2' long. I didn't realize he was sick until it was too late. My 3 tetras, molly, and a Red Tailed Shark ate him alive

Cloudk
07-16-2011, 1:01 PM
A few weeks ago my largest pleco decided to munch the skin off of my medium pleco. He was mostly white, but I could see slight color changes where his stripes used to be. Tried to save him, but he died the next day :(
When he was a kid, my husband had a turtle who bit the head and tail off of a little pleco. Then later on, someone took the turtle out of the pond, left him in the road, and well. The guy said he thought it was a rock. Who drives over a5in long rock?! THEN when my grandma was little, someone stole her baby turtle, blasted him w/ a powerful hose, she found him and his guts were coming out of his mouth, and his eyes were popped out. So, to put him out of his misery, she had to squish him w/ a big rock.

still
07-16-2011, 6:06 PM
One of my fish got swim bladder disorder then got her eyes ripped out by a bigger fish

Hemsk
07-17-2011, 12:26 PM
i lost one of my small pleuros two days ago... his bigger friends ripped his head of :nilly:

Person
07-22-2011, 7:50 PM
I had a zebra danio who got his fin stuck in the filter and died.

I also saw this dead fish (one of those ones with the puffy eyes) with his eye exploded/popped at a pet store.

Huladad
07-22-2011, 8:16 PM
One of my lemon damsels got sick and my Clown Trigger decided to make a meal out of him... Ate him tail first, I came home for lunch and looked it the tank and wondered why the damsel was in that one spot, turned the light on and saw half a fish still alive... The trigger kept coming over and taking a bite. Poor thing, I pulled it out and put it in a zip lock bag and pretty much squeezed it to death... I didn't really want it to suffer anymore and didn't really know what to do... Sad part was the trigger was so sadistic that he decided to keep his meal fresh by keeping it alive....

Jake2032
07-22-2011, 8:19 PM
aw that suckss

knifegill
07-22-2011, 8:31 PM
Big chinese algae eater ate his little albino face off.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/IMGP4329-1.jpg

Was minding his own business when

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/IMGP4624.jpg

did

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/IMGP4336.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/IMGP4335.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/IMGP4334.jpg

:( :cry:

pbass510
07-22-2011, 8:38 PM
It was like a year ago when i kept a flowerhorn i had it with my 2 pacus which was twice its size the flowerhorn was like 2inch the pacus were only like 4inches but they tagged teamed the flowerhorn and ate its tail then tried to eat its head so they got rid of the evidence

issh
07-23-2011, 7:17 AM
Big chinese algae eater ate his little albino face off.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/IMGP4329-1.jpg

Was minding his own business when

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/IMGP4624.jpg

did

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/IMGP4336.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/IMGP4335.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/IMGP4334.jpg

:( :cry:

Ouch!

Here's one of mine similar to yours

Zebra Danios head bitten off by (suspected) Angelfish

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k494/isshdee/DSC08549.jpg

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k494/isshdee/DSC08550.jpg

terreldactyl
07-24-2011, 12:57 PM
My baby whale was recently injured by my senegal bichir(4 inches). One day the whale (also about 4 inches) was swimming erratically and i noticed a gash on both sides of his stomach made by the bichirs teeth. He must have really planned on eating him. I quickly seperated the baby whale from the tank but died soon after.

I_got_no_idea
07-24-2011, 1:16 PM
fishing story instead of fishkeeping story. I was fishing for flounder and crab and my uncle threw them together and i found that a couple of the crab was slowly clawing the flounder. First tail then bag then body and body then finally the cut. The flounder was still breathing by then but then the red rock crab had finished him off by clawing his face...

manpon44
07-24-2011, 4:06 PM
my channel cat jumped to his about 4 months ago
p.s i have a rock on the lid now

plecostic
07-25-2011, 3:04 AM
Just lost ALL of my fish (well most of them), only a few left, cause unknown, it was brutal, within seconds dropping like flies. Right after a water change too, can't figure out what went wrong. The water parameters were near perfect, I think maybe some suntan lotion may have been on my arm from before even though I washed it good prior to sticking it in. This has never happen to me, it was a routine water change. May have to break everthing down and clean everything really good. Bye Bye beneficial bacteria.

duggan
07-26-2011, 8:09 AM
Silver gar got sucked into the circulation pump and decapitated him... but his mouth was still moving as if gasping for air as his head floated around the tank

marzanthony
07-28-2011, 10:16 PM
had a 13 inch BGK and a 5 in TSN and 4 inch pbass in a 50 gallon and my TSN locked on the tail of my BGK and then my pbass grabed onto the head and well they played tug of war with it and ripped it in half :(

King Amazon Mane
08-01-2011, 11:04 PM
My Baby Momma:banher: thought I was cheating on her one night that I went to the club:D, because her sister called her giving her false information:D. So she got a gallon of bleach and dumped it in my piranha tank:(! oh man the poor fellas were shredding apart and having a slow death so crazy as they were decaying they were trying to eat each other SMH!!!

King Amazon Mane
08-01-2011, 11:07 PM
:ROFL:
fishing story instead of fishkeeping story. I was fishing for flounder and crab and my uncle threw them together and i found that a couple of the crab was slowly clawing the flounder. First tail then bag then body and body then finally the cut. The flounder was still breathing by then but then the red rock crab had finished him off by clawing his face...

King Amazon Mane
08-01-2011, 11:12 PM
HAHAAHAHHAHA your Cookie Monster quote got me ROLLIN MAA'FAKA U Killing ME!!!:ROFL:

keithb93
08-07-2011, 10:29 PM
When I was about 8 or 9 years old I had a 10gallon with a crayfish, fire eel, goldfish and black moors, needless to say it didnt turn out well!!

and one time I was on the river fishing and used a large triple hook thinking Id get a big fish, well a caught a 2 foot pike with two hooks coming out each eye and the other coming out from the chin:(

bigcatlover
08-08-2011, 2:25 PM
This was a TOTAL SUCK FEST! This weekend we had a ph crash in one of our grow out tanks. Unfortunately, we weren't home at the time so we didn't notice the fish acting funny. We come home to find some of our most expensive and hardest to get fish dead! The worst losses were our tig cat and our African tiger fish. SOOOOOO sad!!!!!

malawidave
08-09-2011, 5:44 AM
I had a conch shell in my tank, one pudgy little fish got his little fat ass stuck and died in it. THEN, another one swam up in there to eat his carcass, and got stuck and died too... I was looking for them fo 2 weeks until i decided to take everything out of the tank and dredge the sand looking for bodies... and when I pulled out the shell I about puked it smelled so bad... needless to say... I have no more shells in my tanks

blizzzard
08-09-2011, 8:17 PM
my clarious catfish is still alive but is one tough bugger he got shocked really bad by an electric catfish which was soon after removed and i thought he was going to die then he got maulled by my aligator gar that i just got rid of but he was ripped wide open and had teeth marks all over him he is now almost completly healed

MonsterPeacock
08-12-2011, 2:51 PM
I had a recent tank slaying...Here's my thread. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?432543-PH-Crash-in-a-growout-tank...RIP...I-ll-remember-you-little-guy-s..-Over-500&highlight=

sheajared
08-12-2011, 3:03 PM
i had a crab that survived a while with no legs... result of keeping him with my baby snapping turtle..

klx450r
08-12-2011, 6:15 PM
asax

ice blue
08-18-2011, 12:18 AM
I had a black spotted Raphael about 2 in long in a little 10g grow out tank. There was a little shell that he squeezed into and I had him out of water for 3 minutes hammering the shell till it shattered. He lived, but i had a pictus cat in my 30g with some mbuna that got ich, dropsy, gyrodactylus, Chillodinella,Trichodina, and true fungus. i put a full dose of ich cure in the tank then maracyn. The next day his whiskers fell off and he was slow enough for my blue crawfish to grab him and rip him open. (bones Everywhere!:yuck:)

CichlidScotty
08-18-2011, 7:09 AM
My Jack Dempsey had his Stomach Open 2 days after I added a Clown Knife to the tank

WTB
08-18-2011, 7:09 PM
My dad once had finally got his julidochromis ornatus (golden julies) to spawn, there had to be a few dozen. anyways, a few days later apparently the heater screwed and cooked everything in the tank.... never could find julies at the LFS again.

SmallMonster
08-29-2011, 6:31 AM
i had a crayfish which failed to have "arms" after molding. so it was rather defenceless while 1 opportunistic crayfish took all of its legs until it had none, and died subsequently. :/

Ancient_Fish_Master
08-30-2011, 5:31 PM
my gar chewed on one of my silver dollars... the silver dollar pretty muched popped.

Tropicalfish34
08-30-2011, 6:36 PM
My uncle was cleaning his driftwood and a yo yo loach was stuck in one of the holes and then until he finish his cleaning which always ended with boiling the driftwood poor thing was boiled to death.

probassfisher010
08-31-2011, 5:44 AM
I had a 10 inch elephant nose fish that I absolutely loved! As soon as I put a blood worm cube or my finger or anything into the tank he would come racing up and tickle my finger with his nose or he would eat blood worms etc. Sadly one day I came home and couldn't find him at all, turns out he jumped out the plug hole! he mad it though a 2x2 inch hole in the back of the tank! He was all dried up and stuck to my carpet :(

Recently I had a 75 gallon with just a big boy Oscar in it, I knew I should have switched to a titanium heater, but just procastinated on it. One morning I woke up to glass everywhere and a broken heater and a dead Oscar, electrified to death :(

alexanian
09-07-2011, 2:32 PM
Just like everyone here I had much mishaps. Most ppl though posted about their fish being eaten by other fish. Not very interesting it happens in wildlife so it can happen in ur aquarium too. Of course it happened to me as well. Instead I will tell about the most unusal ones
When I was a kid like 15 years ago I had a partially covered tank, so half was open and half had a glass cover over which was the lights. I don't remember which type of fish was it, but i think it was a gourami of some kind jumped out of the water and landed on the glass cover. The lights were above and we all know it emmits heat. So imagine that for a death, suffocating while being slowly roasted !!!
The other thing that happened was some years ago my dad bought hydrogen ( that chemical women use with hair dye ) and for some reason it was filled in a watr bottle. He placed it next to the TV. My mom see it thinks it's water takes it to drink but since it was warm she decides to add it to the fish tank to make up for evaporated water and go get another bottle of cold water for her. Of course she doesn't even know what she's donne. I come home from work a couple of hours after and see that smth is wrong with the fishes. Obviously they're dieing going sideways and flipping over!!! I quickly get a bucket of water and start removing the fishes. Most of them died needless to say, some right then and some later, but i was left with a blue acara, oscar and a upside down african catfish ( don't know whats the original name for that fish but it was swimming upside down). Anyways it took some real investigation going on to find out what has happened and why they were dieing, but when dad noticed the hydrogen bottle is gonne it all become clear :D

ECW
09-12-2011, 10:59 AM
I had a small flagtil prochilodous that I was growing out. During one of his water changes he got too close to the siphon hose and his head got stuck in the hose. I then proceded to try and shake him loose and his head completely detached from his body! The first thing I could think of doing was to retach the head quickly! Though after a few seconds I realized it was all over...

oehtam
09-16-2011, 6:00 AM
On a weekend when I had a leak and temporarily housed (with a divider) my 4" mento mbuna with my 13" Black Nasty (Nandopsis haitiensis). When I returned after two days (I was gone all weekend), the Black Nasty was at the bottom of the tank dying, descaled (and all white), fins eaten to root, and both eyes missing.

Ricky_tang
09-18-2011, 5:22 PM
My brother wanted to buy himself a fish (black fin shark/catfish) so it could live in my tank one week later all that was left was a fin my crayfish had gotten a hold of him and nibbled him to death

Squirtle919
09-21-2011, 3:50 AM
Well I don't feel so bad after reading some of these XD

When I first started keeping fish we would take them all out to change the water, One time the bucket grew legs and ran away, So we put the fish in a glass bowl with the 2 heaters, the heaters where maybe 10% in the bowl and 90% out, Hey mum why is the fish water bubbling :O Was pretty sad we had around 60 tetras belly flopping in a salad bowl!

Eclipse390
09-21-2011, 11:57 AM
My heater fried my Uaru pair last night. :irked:

Redneck Lunatic
09-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Feb. of 2011 my basement flooded, i had to rip up all the carpet in my aquarium room and replace drywall so i had to break down all my tanks. All my fish were put in storage totes the big ones. Well i got everything ready for them to go back into their tanks. I filled the 120 tank first and but the Arowanna, oscar, pacu, and TSN back in it. Filled the 29 gallon and put all my breeders back in it (29 is full of mollies, platies, guppies). My arowanna is acting strange he is stayin on the bottom the whole time, he wasnt showin any other signs though i thought he would pull through in a day or some. the next day the Arowanna in doin a headstand on the bottom dead, it was a said day..3 or 4 days later the Oscar dies as well he developed a problem with his swimbladder i guess he couldn't hold himself upright....all my other fish survived thought

dadpozz
09-28-2011, 4:57 PM
4 12" oscars consumed by 30" pacus. found 1 oscar on bottom of tank with just a head and still breathing

OOL51
09-29-2011, 7:33 AM
Came home yesterday arv to find my murray cod upside down on the bottom of the tank barely breathing, quicly grabbed a net and got him out only to find half of his face missing and body stiff as a board, choose to do the humane thing and euthanised it. Bloody vicious Magrove Jack

ScottAlan
09-30-2011, 7:23 PM
Worst I have seen is my baby catfiash picking up what looked to be columnaris and got a giant white spot all over his back. poor guy didnt move for 24 hours before he slowly died

CaRONG
10-02-2011, 5:52 AM
Not mine but my uncle had a little silver arowana which he just bought and it lived happily until one day the giant pacu crushed/scraped it against the side of a fish tank killing it according to him. His wife is still sceptical about whether this actually was the reason why the arowana died.

CaRONG
10-02-2011, 5:54 AM
Well I don't feel so bad after reading some of these XD

When I first started keeping fish we would take them all out to change the water, One time the bucket grew legs and ran away, So we put the fish in a glass bowl with the 2 heaters, the heaters where maybe 10% in the bowl and 90% out, Hey mum why is the fish water bubbling :O Was pretty sad we had around 60 tetras belly flopping in a salad bowl!

hehe have you ever seen a heater explode?

tanharold
10-02-2011, 6:12 AM
It may not be so bad to others but to me it is the worst.
My Aba Aba that I left to a maid because we went to LA for vacation. The maid has so much experience on soft fishes but she didnt took care of it. When I went home, I saw my fish floating. I asked her why and she replied, "Im scared of it." Its only 3 inches:irked:

chingonaz0
10-12-2011, 3:06 AM
I had a huge long tentic anemone for some reason after such a long time in its happy little spot it chose to move. I came some to find a tore up stuffed giant anemone in my intake. :eek:

joshs801
10-16-2011, 3:09 AM
buddy of mine gave me some cichlid sand for my tank and i didnt rinse out the sand before putting it into my tank and his cat had **** and pissed in the bucket that the sand was in and killed off a colony of red morolli tropheous 20x my heart sank :( and i had just bought that colony that day .............

bobtan
10-16-2011, 3:31 AM
buddy of mine gave me some cichlid sand for my tank and i didnt rinse out the sand before putting it into my tank and his cat had **** and pissed in the bucket that the sand was in and killed off a colony of red morolli tropheous 20x my heart sank :( and i had just bought that colony that day .............

Sorry for ur loss,Too bad the cat wasnt potty trained

5lilangels
10-16-2011, 4:29 AM
years ago dropping in 6 small black moors into my 7 yr old sisters tank so to her horror she could watch her fishy eat all the eyeballs. only took like a minute. I diidnt know what a jack dempsey was and could do until then!

redwolffish
04-23-2012, 8:00 PM
1/2 my story, 1/2 not. So my knight goby is at a friends house for vacation. I came back my friend said please take your fish back, he is attacking all of my fish. This is no ordinary tank, it is full of tropheus and other large African cichlids, some were 15 inches long. So I look in the tank, all of the cichlids fins are shredded. My goby was about 2 1/2 inches and had beat the crap of of fish many more times his size. I go home to get a bucket or something, get back in time to see my little goby take on a 9 inch Malawi eye biter. After ten minutes, the eye biter is missing scales, eyes and fins, and laying on ground deaden never did I ever leave him with anything territorial ever again. As long as it didn't intrude on his territory or hold it's ground, I could keep him with anything that wasn't bite sized.

Also moved tank upstairs, lost a ocillaris synodontis to a cat, poor thing had it's face eaten off. I put it back in the jar I kept it in, that's when I saw that it's face was gone.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork (http://www.getmonsterapp.com/) app

Jackyx
05-01-2012, 1:25 PM
The cat went for the face instead of the body that consist of the meat? Thats a cruel cat

Payarakeeper
05-01-2012, 1:33 PM
Malabaricus wolf fish and my alligator gar felt the need to play tug of war with one of my scomberiodes payara haha.. ripped to shreds and didnt even have a chance. intestines and all scattered along the tank for the plecos. Yum.

bottles
05-01-2012, 1:38 PM
During the olympics, they upped our chlorine/chloromine or whatever and didn't tell us fish keepers. My pleuro snakeheads face literally started melting off. His flesh was white and peeling, it was nasty. I gave him a few days to recover, but I ended up removing his head.

Camaronator
05-01-2012, 4:02 PM
Back in the day I had a 55 with an african clawed frog (real one not dwarf) and some black more goldfish. The frog was about the size of a quarter when i got it, over time it got larger and larger and eventually started attacking the goldfish, first one i saw had both its eyes ripped off and it was still kinda flopping around.

The frog is about 13 years old now and still going strong today

jadedreams
05-01-2012, 6:47 PM
Had a weird one the other week, found a cherry barb that had been eaten by a larger tetra. But the kicker was that the tail of the cherry was sticking out of the barb like it passed through without getting digested. Cherry and tetra both had both bought it, but it looked like the tetra had 2 tales when I found it - had to look several times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. And no I hadn't been drinking...

DQM5
05-01-2012, 7:06 PM
Hmm couple of my fish tried to bust a finding nemo but got caught in the filter and you know the rest.. :(

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork (http://www.getmonsterapp.com/) app

Bottomfeeder
05-01-2012, 7:55 PM
Had a weird one the other week, found a cherry barb that had been eaten by a larger tetra. But the kicker was that the tail of the cherry was sticking out of the barb like it passed through without getting digested. Cherry and tetra both had both bought it, but it looked like the tetra had 2 tales when I found it - had to look several times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. And no I hadn't been drinking...

That's a weird one. It happens sometimes when a fish eats a nearly same-sized fish headfirst that the tail sticks out of the mouth and the upper body is digested, but I've never heard of a fish passing part of the other fish undigested.
Someone on here a looong time ago, like before I joined, had some kind of Shovelnose Catfish get swallowed headfirst and then regurgitated, and the entire head area was digested and white-ish, while the midsection and tail area were completely intact.

fish042099
05-01-2012, 8:28 PM
I kept two red bellied piranha together, came in one day to find one of them floating on the top. His whole back had been eaten away, and his spine was sticking out of his back.

F1 VET
05-01-2012, 8:42 PM
I kept two red bellied piranha together, came in one day to find one of them floating on the top. His whole back had been eaten away, and his spine was sticking out of his back.

Yea 3 or more rbp is always suggested i have 5 and some times they try and kill eachother but atleast aggression is spread out!

Well recently my 7-8" lg crawfish jumped outta my 90gal in my room and somehow found a crack in my ac vent and fell 20-25' straight to the basement hvac system, still figuring how im going to get the carcus out!

#1 S. Vettel

fish042099
05-02-2012, 4:07 PM
Yea 3 or more rbp is always suggested i have 5 and some times they try and kill eachother but atleast aggression is spread out!

Well recently my 7-8" lg crawfish jumped outta my 90gal in my room and somehow found a crack in my ac vent and fell 20-25' straight to the basement hvac system, still figuring how im going to get the carcus out!

#1 S. Vettel
yeah i heard even #s of rbps i an accident waiting to happen, especially keeping 2. anyway that was back in '10 when i was a beginner. But I'm still learning

kissofcrimson
05-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Stupidly I kept a couple Goldfish with an Angelfish pair, temporarily until I could give them to a friend, since my other tank had busted. The ones that got attacked were the two Black Moors. The smaller one had no fins, none and both eyes were completley gone. He was still alive, swimming around and it was so creepy watching him. I put him out of his misery a few minutes after I found him. The other one had no fins either but had both eyes, though one was milky and bloody. I kept him alive and he actually pulled through even though that eye fell out. Still have him too ;)

The male Angelfish out of that pair also got beat up severely by the female and I thought he'd die. Lived for another year before she did him him. She was hateful. lol

Sent from my LGL55C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ramulac019
05-23-2012, 5:52 PM
My poly sen randomly decided to attempt eating my bgk. My gf had to witness the whole thing, the sen had him by the head and drug him across the tank twice before i was able to get them separated. Got the bgk in my qt tank but the poor guy died an hour later.

CichlidScotty
05-23-2012, 5:54 PM
My poly sen randomly decided to attempt eating my bgk. My gf had to witness the whole thing, the sen had him by the head and drug him across the tank twice before i was able to get them separated. Got the bgk in my qt tank but the poor guy died an hour later.

ouch! I'm still always watching my CK, he's 20" in my tank and I'm surprized he hasn't gone for the smallest goldfish that's 5"

MTBjake
05-23-2012, 6:05 PM
Just last night I got home from work late and saw a white fin sticking out from under a rock. Turns out it was my 6" male albino BN pleco. He was apparently cleaning the base of the rock, which is where my male Jag has been digging and the rock(about 20lbs) settled on him while he was under there. Squished pleco=no good.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork (http://www.getmonsterapp.com/) app

CichlidScotty
05-23-2012, 6:07 PM
[QUOTE=MTBjake;5788703]Just last night I got home from work late and saw a white fin sticking out from under a rock. Turns out it was my 6" male albino BN pleco. He was apparently cleaning the base of the rock, which is where my male Jag has been digging and the rock(about 20lbs) settled on him while he was under there. Squished pleco=no good.

I always got luck of finding Pleco's with the Stomachs torn to shreds or the skeleton remaining :l

twiisted
05-23-2012, 6:48 PM
My mums winter koi tank had a very poor sump, we lost a weather loach that we rescued and assumed it was in there, after about 10 minutes of stomach turning feel a bouts we just assumed it had jumped the tank and managed to reach the drain... We got an external filter a month after and ceased use of the sump which was left under the tank for about three months (procrastination's a b****) we were running out of tanks so decided that the old three part sump would make a good tank, mid cleaning of a three months stagnant brown faeces filled freezing cold (it's Scotland mid winter so were talking -0 c O.o ) gloop we see something writhing about in the filth... Long behold the loach, severely emaciated a d oxygen deprived, yet barely alive! We immediately shifted him back into the tank. A few days later and he was back to himself and plumping back up. The external filter isn't set up to move the surface properley so we have a grated fluval powerhead doing that, anyways he had basically managed to get stuck in it, then struggled and made it halfway through, so his tail was hanging out the bottom and his shredded and mangled face was peeking out the eyelet, needless to say we were pretty hacked off -.-

CichlidScotty
05-23-2012, 6:51 PM
My mums winter koi tank had a very poor sump, we lost a weather loach that we rescued and assumed it was in there, after about 10 minutes of stomach turning feel a bouts we just assumed it had jumped the tank and managed to reach the drain... We got an external filter a month after and ceased use of the sump which was left under the tank for about three months (procrastination's a b****) we were running out of tanks so decided that the old three part sump would make a good tank, mid cleaning of a three months stagnant brown faeces filled freezing cold (it's Scotland mid winter so were talking -0 c O.o ) gloop we see something writhing about in the filth... Long behold the loach, severely emaciated a d oxygen deprived, yet barely alive! We immediately shifted him back into the tank. A few days later and he was back to himself and plumping back up. The external filter isn't set up to move the surface properley so we have a grated fluval powerhead doing that, anyways he had basically managed to get stuck in it, then struggled and made it halfway through, so his tail was hanging out the bottom and his shredded and mangled face was peeking out the eyelet, needless to say we were pretty hacked off -.-

wow talk about luck! :D

twiisted
05-23-2012, 6:58 PM
Also had a vieja bifiscatium mate with a Midas/red devil, we managed to save the fry and reared the 200-ish ourselves, to about two inches, we didn't have anywhere for them they were taking up way too much and we were basically trying to give them away, but no takers, me and my dad came to a decision that the rhom wasn't getting a varied enough diet. we threw about 30-50 of them in, and slowly the numbers are diminishing, but everyday we arrive to gruesome, sadistic and somewhat brutal deaths, spines, skulls, half eaten fish continuing to live, none of the 13 have tails left and are missing chunks all over, there's even one swimming about with no face... I'm a sick person, but even that made my skin crawl :c

twiisted
05-23-2012, 7:01 PM
Honestly CichlidScotty, we were all amazed, I even phoned my dad to tell him this, we both agree that the water was inhospitable, that even a clarias cat would die in there, the water was even tested and everything was through the roof, ph was miles off too! :S

CichlidScotty
05-23-2012, 7:02 PM
Honestly CichlidScotty, we were all amazed, I even phoned my dad to tell him this, we both agree that the water was inhospitable, that even a clarias cat would die in there, the water was even tested and everything was through the roof, ph was miles off too! :S

well that would be put me in shock if he was still alive and there for that long

twiisted
05-23-2012, 7:08 PM
well that would be put me in shock if he was still alive and there for that long

Ha, it's just the fact that after all he went through.... He got killed trying to hide in a powerhead?! Think one of the koi must've knocked the grate/protector thingy -.-

Concaj1
05-25-2012, 12:25 PM
In my local fish store, A juvenile Marbled snake head (about 6-8 inch) Jumped out of its tank and before we could grab it the stores cat grabbed it and disappeared off into the car park!
Also I had a severum get stuck in an ornament and within seconds, my 12inch red belt had both eyes out, it died shortly after, 1st and last time she has shown any genuine agression towards her tankmates

Andrew1002
05-25-2012, 12:31 PM
One of my oscars I had 2 years ago went in with the turtles because he was defending himself. At first he was beating the crap out of all the turtles, then I go to do something because I felt he was okay. I come back and he's missing the full tail and it goes up to this white stuff inside him. It was so gruesome. He just wasn't fast enough for the turtles.

I'M ANDREW AND I'M A FISHAHOLIC
-Andrew

Pyramid_Party
05-25-2012, 1:09 PM

LMAO!!

puertoayacucho
05-26-2012, 3:34 AM
My juvi EBJD got ich and an internal parasite that made his stomach expand like a balloon and got extremely dark for about 3 days then popped and lay at the bottom of the tank with an open stomach trying to breath for half an hour. It was terrible and all the time I couldn't find the net.

I was about to tell the story of when during a water change, the water level reached a point where it leaked into a no-longer-watertight bulb sleeve which was just below the rim of my aquarium (I never filled it to this level, leaving the top 2 inches above the water line) and well, the lights in my entire home dimmed for a few seconds. All the fish were pretty much fried. But honestly... Matt724's story is collection material!

Erick Hunter
05-26-2012, 10:57 AM
i had a dwarf zebra moray that slid into the propeller inside the powerhead cage and got mangled. and anything i feed to my angler dies in a gruesome way. he traps them inside him alive for like 15 mins before they stop wiggling.

phill0046
07-10-2012, 7:03 PM
My bicher ate the stomach off of a big tetra. I had an oscar eat the side of another oscar, the one that got eaten was much smaller.

patrickjohnsgarcia
07-10-2012, 7:20 PM
i once had 3 small senegsl bichir eat a medium sized ranchu..poor fish trying to escape the bite of the sens but they kept on biting him till his stomach were ripped open...

Bohis
07-11-2012, 4:31 AM
1. I had a nice 3inch ornate bichir, very active and a beautiful pattern. I went to feed him one night and noticed he wasn't in his normal haunts, I figured he just found a new hiding spot and was waiting for lights out to come out, well two days go by and I decide something is wrong, I look behind his tank to find he was able to jump out of the tank and slowly became ornate jerky :C I was so sad because I could have saved him if i had only looked when i noticed he was missing.

2. I had a tank that was going perfectly fine, then one day i decided I anted to get something new for my fish to snack on. I went to my lfs and got some cheap Ghost shrimp and threw them in, The fish loved it and ate them all up. A few weeks later my girlfriend and I are watching the tank and she asks me "whats that coming out of that fishes butt?" I laughed and said "poop." Well i took a closer look and saw little red worms coming out of their butts. I found out it was callamanus worms and tried everything i could to cure the tank in the end all the fish died. :C

fish042099
07-12-2012, 9:51 AM
My bicher ate the stomach off of a big tetra. I had an oscar eat the side of another oscar, the one that got eaten was much smaller.

OMG my 1'' sunfish ate the stomach out of a tetra bigger than him! An its pronounced bichir not bicher

Cu455
07-13-2012, 7:00 PM
African rope fish got sucked into the filter.

ice blue
07-16-2012, 11:33 AM
African rope fish got sucked into the filter.

I know the feeling.

My blue crawfish grabbed my pictus cat and just ate him slowly

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

F1 VET
07-16-2012, 11:40 AM
My piranhas tried to kill a 7-8" LG red crawfish, he jumped out thru a gap landed on carpet where cat was taking chunks out and chased him to a open ac vent where the crawfish fell into the basement almost 25'. I was asleep when it occured, woke up to my roomate freaking out in basement

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

Johnnylightning
07-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Probably was the time I was at Walmart watching an Oscar trying to swim away with half his guts hanging out with about 15 other oscars eating him with two plecos stuck to him. It went on for about 15 minutes until he finally died. He was eaten alive piece by piece.

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub
07-16-2012, 12:14 PM
My GATF took the back third of my VATF clean off and ate it, and left the front two thirds to die a slow painful death. I found the poor guy and euthanized what was left. The sad part was that the GATF didn't hit any vital parts and the VATF was still perfectly alive and trying to swim.

weilichen
07-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Both of yr tiger fish are same sizes or?

DIDYSIS
07-16-2012, 1:37 PM
Suffocation from no air in the tank. Sad sad.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub
07-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Both of yr tiger fish are same sizes or?

The GATF is 7" and the VATF was 5".

fatboy8
07-18-2012, 6:11 PM
My tank started to look a little cloudy one day so I changed the water on it and everything was fine. Next day woke up and my channel cat had a minor case of cloudy eye. So I bought all the meds I could to heal it and they worked. A week later my carp and perches all have fin rot and cloudy eye and then the channel got it again. I did everything in my power to heal them but it didnt work everyday for around a week I pulled a different fish out dead. My water was fine nitrates pH and ammonia were all fine. No clue what happened to them.

Kayota
07-18-2012, 7:06 PM
I had my three blind cave tetras in my ten gallon tank and I skipped a week cleaning. The ammonia in the water caused one to die and one to try and jump out. I didn't see the one that jumped out and I assumed it had died and been eaten. Later that day I found it stuck in my hang on back filter... He was still alive but he died later that day.

everlastace
07-19-2012, 11:53 PM
I had a 6" purple spotted gudgeon in with 3 exadons, worked for a long time, then the exadons decided to bite the scales off the side of the gudgeon. He got weaker and weaker as they picked his scales off one by one. Died after only a couple days of me trying to figure out what was happening to him. I didn't actually see it happen until a couple hours before he died.

Sent from my LG-P509 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Adamrhh
07-20-2012, 12:27 AM
One of my Zebra danio got sucked up into my filter inlet like a jet motor

TNkeeper
07-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Had a small clown loach sucked up in my filter took hours for me to realize what happen

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bettas
07-28-2012, 2:59 AM
I once found half a rotting guppy. Then that half went too. Eww!

Cloudk
07-28-2012, 3:15 AM
Recently i had a 7in comet goldfish who had injured himself. Put him in hospital tank. Seemed to be getting better then one day he stopped eating, his belly bulged a little, the the next day he started having seizures and apparently bashed himself to death. I have no clue what exactly happened.:(

Ptrick125
07-30-2012, 2:26 AM
I tried to put a loach in my tank...and the cichlids didn't like it, they ate it to the backbone and I had to return it to petsmart... And I still got a refund!!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork (http://www.getmonsterapp.com/) app

jlnguyen74
07-30-2012, 8:20 AM
:irked:

Johnnylightning
07-30-2012, 9:00 AM
Spoke to someone at my local LFS who raises jewel cichlids well this pair raises the fry to about one inch then the father pulls a Freddie on all 150 in one night. They are in a 55 and had two successful batches then this. He said it looked like someone dropped a bomb into the tank.

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pdk2089
07-30-2012, 3:36 PM
probably the most gruesome death was when i was cleaning one of my tanks and scraping the algae off the glass. Had the cover off and my flagtail jumped straight out of the tank on to the floor. My young dog was watching me at the time and saw the fish jump out. Of course, he went after it and ran off with the fish but by the time i could catch him the fish was already torn in half. Guts and blood everywhere. Not fun to clean up.

Chris006
08-09-2012, 9:52 PM
underestimated hungry stingray went after....well you'll see.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bottomfeeder
08-14-2012, 8:46 AM
Two weeks ago I caught a Catfish that was really deformed. It had little holes or divots in its head and back, and it had red tumors growing on its face. I am not a squeamish one, but... I didnt touch it. I used a de-hooker to pop the hook out while holding it over the water. He was fat and lively, I have no idea what was wrong with it.

Zipperwurm
08-25-2012, 11:10 PM
i don't have any gruesome tales....yet, lol. but when i was younger i had a pet largemouth bass that caught some sort of disease where he grew this white film all over him, almost as if he were shedding...he died about a week later.

recently i bought a small arowana but for whatever reason i couldn't get him to eat anything. about a week later he went belly up on me...cause of death unknown, lol.

ColeFishing
08-26-2012, 12:19 AM
My channel catfish died if bad parasites.

jag14
08-27-2012, 3:39 PM
I had a group of black skirt tetras that I was using to cycle a 30 tank. Their neighbor was a 75 with a 14 inch jag hybrid. Got the bright idea one day, to throw a tetra in with the jag. Not a good idea, after chasing it around the tank, the jag bit the tetra in half and spit out the rest. I felt really bad about scaring the tetra to death like that.

CCSmith891
08-27-2012, 3:55 PM
When I was a kid I had a sleeper goby with the pineapple from spongebob. One day I looked in the tank and the pineapple house was sideways against the glass and the goby was pinned against the glass dead. I still have no clue how the pineapple fell over...

h0ckeyfreek20
08-27-2012, 4:37 PM
I was cleaning out my undergravel filter, I took the power head off and my Tiretrack eel decided to hide under the plate. When i reinstalled the 1200 gph powerhead he got sucked into strainer and I had no idea till the next day.. He basically got turned into an accordion with pieces of him partially sucked thru the strainer. Water in my entire tank was red/brown from blood

bassfisher91
09-10-2012, 7:43 PM
This isn't really gruesome but it was certainly unfortunate. Just recently I was trying to catch some random African cichlid babies out of my 300 gallon filled with clown loaches of all sizes as well as some red hook silver dollars and other fish. The tank is 30 inches tall and is about 6 feet off the ground so I need a ladder to reach in the tank. Anyways, I took the lid off of part of the tank to try to net the babies and one of my biggest clown loaches of about 7 inches gets freaked out and jumped out of the tank, flew over my head and landed on the floor after falling 7 feet through the air. I'm pretty sure it died on impact but I put it back in the tank anyways but it just looked like it was having a seizure before it finally stopped moving. That was a rough day.

CichlidScotty
09-11-2012, 12:36 AM
This isn't really gruesome but it was certainly unfortunate. Just recently I was trying to catch some random African cichlid babies out of my 300 gallon filled with clown loaches of all sizes as well as some red hook silver dollars and other fish. The tank is 30 inches tall and is about 6 feet off the ground so I need a ladder to reach in the tank. Anyways, I took the lid off of part of the tank to try to net the babies and one of my biggest clown loaches of about 7 inches gets freaked out and jumped out of the tank, flew over my head and landed on the floor after falling 7 feet through the air. I'm pretty sure it died on impact but I put it back in the tank anyways but it just looked like it was having a seizure before it finally stopped moving. That was a rough day.

got lucky if it did live, my piranha have nailed the glass-top pretty hard to

kevbc03
09-12-2012, 2:21 PM
my 3 year old cousin grabbed one of my betta fish and threw it against a wall. :(

Jacunaba
09-12-2012, 2:39 PM
One my pbass a few yars ago knocked off the inake of the fx5 and got stuck to it for hours id imagine. When i got home and removed the fish, he had already been hickied to death.

quasar
09-12-2012, 2:45 PM
My girlfriend bought me a koi goldfish when i first got my 30 gal grow out for my giant snakehead...needless to say after a month the snakehead figured out the goldfish is eatable and basically ate the bottom half and eventually a bit of the face when i saw this
The pic isnt fully clear but u get the just of it lol
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

arow08
09-12-2012, 3:05 PM
I was doing a water change and heard a splash and looked for my 6" silver aro and didn see it so I looked down and my dog devoured it except for the head:( told him that was the most expensive snack he will ever have lol

archers
09-12-2012, 3:32 PM
My sen and ropefish played tug of war with my farewells

Sent from my LT15a using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Atfownz
09-12-2012, 3:40 PM
One time, I caused the death of a 14" spotted gar. It jumped out of the tank through the tiniest crevice of the tank lid over 20 times and landed on my bed/stomach when sleeping. I got so pissed which happens in the middle of the night, pissed me off so bad, I tossed it outside. In the morning, I felt extremely stupid and wanted to do the same to myself... Well after that I got 11 VATFs! LOL

archers
09-12-2012, 4:52 PM
My sen and ropefish played tug of war with my farewells

Sent from my LT15a using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
farlowella*

CichlidScotty
09-13-2012, 12:46 AM
my 3 year old cousin grabbed one of my betta fish and threw it against a wall. :(

a 3yr old wouldn't even be able to reach the top of my tank and also my monsters would attack any smaller arm!!

Johnnybravo60025
09-13-2012, 8:17 AM
farlowella*

Actually in this case, I think calling it a farewell is appropriate.

Fish_Man_Dan
09-13-2012, 9:01 AM
I had a bumblebee cichlid disembowel a pictus cat, tear a redtail shark to pieces (the shark was in with the other cichlids for months with no problems) and rip the eyes out of a larger pictus all in one morning. The only survivor of his killing spree was the blind pictus, whom I've had for a couple years since in the same tank. Immediately got rid of the bumblebee and will never keep one in a cichlid community again.

home of Fugly the Oscar (ACA)

cyberhog05
09-15-2012, 7:30 PM
One time, I caused the death of a 14" spotted gar. It jumped out of the tank through the tiniest crevice of the tank lid over 20 times and landed on my bed/stomach when sleeping. I got so pissed which happens in the middle of the night, pissed me off so bad, I tossed it outside. In the morning, I felt extremely stupid and wanted to do the same to myself... Well after that I got 11 VATFs! LOL

So you killed a fish because you were to ignorant to make your tank secure?

Tiller11
09-15-2012, 7:34 PM
^^ +10000.... Dunce

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Atfownz
09-15-2012, 7:49 PM
So you killed a fish because you were to ignorant to make your tank secure?

I know it was my fault. Ignorance is bliss.

Wulfonce
11-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Not my fish but....

My dad had a large Oscar back in the 70's. He had the fish for many years and loved it very much. It developed a large bloody growth on its head. My dad decided it was time to end its suffering. He removed the fish by hand and laid it on the concrete floor. The fish trusted him and put up no fight in the process. My dad described to me, how the fish turned its eye to look at him, as if it knew what he was about to do. They locked eyes for a moment as if to say good bye for the last time. Then my dad picked up the hammer... :(

True story. My dad talks about that fish even today, about 30 years later. A lot of people think fish are stupid, but I've seen a good deal in the last 15 years that suggests there not.

Ian918
11-01-2012, 1:05 AM
i had a fahaka puffer eat the face and eyes off a 7 inch chinese alge eater so it looked like he had a bare skull and lived 3 days.

TheNewSeverum
11-24-2012, 2:51 PM
I worked at a Pet store. We had a 90G SA cichlid tank. We had this one Green Terror. My manager always fed live food against the will of me and another employee who knew better. This fish got the worst HITH I have ever seen in my life. Shortly after that it got this horrible fungus on both of its eyes. It was a $50 fish. I wanted to euthanize it so badly.. eventually it died... what a shame..

Theres always me and medication. I have wiped out several tanks with that stuff..

Nim Dibbley
11-24-2012, 3:31 PM
I finally have a story to add to this thread. I had previously had deaths but nothing too gruesome or unusual. i got a 9 inch or so endli bichir and after quarantine i added him to my main tank with other large bichirs between 6 and 14 inches so i assumed he would be ok. He was a lot skinnier than even the shortest one, but i figured he would add better growth in the main tank.

Next morning was a work day so i only have so much time to feed the fish and get to work in the morning. after feeding the fish i couldn't locate the new one anywhere. The tank has lids and i have yet to have anyone escape, but there is a slight gap between the lid and the brace so i looked all around the floor of the tank. all my bichirs are fat, but they didnt look any fatter than normal. after spending about 20 mins looking for him i had to finish getting ready for work and just hoped that somehow i overlooked him in the tank.

My tank is drilled and the drain pipe i have for my sump is 1.5 inches but there is a guard on it that goes almost up to the ceiling of the tank. I have previously had guppies and tiger barbs and even my catfish when he was a baby, but nothing more than 2 inches find their way to the sump. When these small fish had gotten in there they also managed to stay alive in the sump to be put back in the main tank when i found them. after each occurrence i made adjustments to the drain and since have only put larger fish in the tank so i didnt think this would be an issue again. It has also been over a year since this has happened...

when i got home from work i noticed a fishy smell in the house and knew that wasnt a good sign. somehow this 9 inch fish managed to get over the overflow guard and slide down the drain pipe. However, since he is a large fish he never made it all the way to the sump. there is a 90 pipe fitting right above the sump and sure enough i found him all crumpled at the 90. i dont know if he was already dead when he got in there, but he was seriously beat up looking and bent like he had a broken back.

i am not sure if it would have made a difference but i wish i would have found him that morning.

Datfish
11-24-2012, 8:59 PM
Well I had a peacock eel who got stuck in the filter and got himself shredded in half. Rather sad :(

wolf96
11-24-2012, 9:46 PM
I have had the worst luck with Bala Sharks: One got stuck in the intake and died, one I discovered dead at the bottom of the tank with the Gouramis eating him, and the last one decided to make a jump for freedom when I was cleaning the tank one day only to be caught before he hit the ground by my Golden Retriever that was in the room at the time....poor thing got chewed spit out and then swallowed.

Cichlaholics Anonymous
11-24-2012, 9:50 PM
Had 2 eels do a lady and the tramp spaghetti dinner with a smaller eel. Very gruesome and I felt bad because I thought the smaller eel wasn't that small

cyberhog05
12-05-2012, 4:51 AM
8" Oscar bit the throat out of my 10-12" arowana. No more Oscar!

Mantvis
12-05-2012, 5:21 AM
I left for the weekend and poor salvini... It was done by a male festae. They used to get along quote well, just flare each other a bit, nothing serious. Never expected this to happen. They both were pretty much equal size.

Poor guy was solidified, but still breathing.. I helped him to end his sufferings..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Daveeyj
12-05-2012, 6:16 AM
Thermostat broke in the heater, sent the water to 98degrees, boiled my driftwood catfish Alive :/

Deathinnumbers
12-05-2012, 6:26 AM
Terrortorial dispute in my red belly tank. Shoal was fed a huge filet prior to lol
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s666/Bigdumogre/AB237D6D-13A5-4A21-858D-699DCFDE6C9F-6629-00000C5559B792F0_zps3fc43aff.jpg

aprime11b
12-05-2012, 6:40 AM
Red bellies dont mess around. They always be leaving the head.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

discusgirl
12-05-2012, 1:18 PM
I had a discus that i had piety on he was small and I was sad I took him home and put him in my tank with my other 4 discus... and he died a few hours later.... I came home from work the next day to find 2 of my others died as well.. lesson is don't feel bad about a fish and take it home...

Slippery K
12-05-2012, 1:33 PM
Most brutal death in my tanks was a coral beauty angelfish that got biten in half by my fimbriated moray.

Sent from my GT-I5510M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

majorhavok
12-06-2012, 12:41 AM
During my battle with Ich, i killed my two smallest clown loaches with a heater/circulator pump. First one swam up the intake hose and to make sure it didn't happen again, i covered the intake hose with thin sponge filter mesh held on with a hose clamp. Unfortunately there wasn't enough flow, so I started cutting little holes and slits in the material to increase the turnover. He also got sucked up and I found him in the pump... I was so upset that i was trying so hard to help them but they kept dying, and in those two's case directly because of my mistakes.

Sarertnoc Kram
12-06-2012, 1:03 AM
Had 2 eels do a lady and the tramp spaghetti dinner with a smaller eel. Very gruesome and I felt bad because I thought the smaller eel wasn't that small

Haha fish are cruel

discusgirl
12-06-2012, 5:24 AM
I had an Oscar eat himself to death...The last time I got a treat of feeder fish.. I didn't know that they would or could kill themselves like that.. I felt so bad because it was my fault.

BONDO
12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
I was cleaning the prefilters and intake tube on my powerheads, i made the mistake of leaving it run, and one of my kuli loaches swam into it and got decapitaited. i was in the back room when it happened. all i heard was this loud buzzing noise, came out to find his body in the powerhead and his head floating around the tank. Now i always shut them off when cleaning.

dimmydoodle
12-07-2012, 6:26 PM
had a very large male JD 8 yrs old 10 ' for about 5 months super healthy and paired up with my jag, was waiting for amazing looking babies.. but i left town for a week, someone forgot how much to feed my fish, fed about 60 dollars worth of pellets flakes and sinking pellets in one week..thanks uncle...:irked: cleaned my tank, then notcied the next few days he developed pop eye and bloat. Qt'd him in a 50 gallon, 3 days into qt, he decided to blast thru my plexi lid and i woke up found the lid on the ground...and dempsey was nowehere to be found:S
20 minutes later..after still looking, he jumped over my tv, landed in the corner about 6 ft from my tank. poor guy couldnt take it anymore :(

skooby
12-07-2012, 6:38 PM
Well my dither bala shark just died my midas finally got him lol bala darted hit the glass got stunned and bam the midas goes for the eyes and sucked them out lol owell nevercared much for the shark though just a dither

Sent from my Ally using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Vanimal
12-07-2012, 6:52 PM
My Bichir got sucked into the overflow of my tank.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork (http://www.getmonsterapp.com/) app

Infuzion912
12-16-2012, 12:07 AM
My 2 year old daughter put a huge piece of pizza in the sump of my 240 gallon aquarium and within about 5 hours my aquarium went solid brown... After removing all peacock bass and oscars and doing a 100% water change and cleaning everything in the tank (5 hours later) everything still lived lesson learned on having a open top sump... Switched to closed sump system and child locks on stand!

spatula keeper
12-16-2012, 9:46 PM
I had a tank with 3 redtail catfish (my second batch) and 3 shovel nose catfish. To this day I am not sure what happened but the entire tank bottomed out and they all died. The median was changed the week before, the heater was working fine, they ate the night before. I wake up the next morning the water is foggy and they were all floating dead.

PwNz I R COLE
12-16-2012, 9:59 PM
When I bought 2 1 inch festae and thought they could co exist with a 4 inch mid devil woke up the next morning to find one of them missing it's face and had it's organs hanging out

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork (http://www.getmonsterapp.com/) app

littleharv93
12-28-2012, 7:44 PM
i have a story thats kinda good i had a pack of 6 parihnas (i know i spelled it wrong) and i fed them 20 feeder goldfish every other day and one of the bigger red bellys bit the head off the goldfish right after the eyeballs i thought it was the coolest things ever hahaha i was 12

mitch.silk
01-03-2013, 10:46 AM
i had a shubunkin get sucked onto a wakemaker and then swam around for a few days with a massive arch in his swim, seriously like almost 90 degrees. and the other fish where biting at his fins, but the trooper survived and is still swimming around,

i also had a siames algea eater get sucked into my gf's eheim canister and live in there for a few months... he's also still alive.

i know its meant to be dead stories but these where miraculous...

but i do have a nano aquarium and the diffuser had water in the line all the way to the one way valve, so i tried purging it, and i stupidly totally forgot about it after going to the toilet, and i suffocated all my peppered catfish and cherry shrimp... plants probably liked it tho haha

Notomys
01-13-2013, 4:47 PM
I had a group of four dojos one of my old set-ups, each of which came to very gruesome ends.

1) One died of some sort of hemorrhagic disease during QT - poor thing hung around for nearly a week before giving up the ghost.
2) One managed to get sucked into my filter impeller, and was bludgeoned to death.
3) This guy bloated up like crazy one day, before dying a few days later. I did a necropsy on this guy to see if I should be treating my remaining loaches for anything, and found that his ENTIRE digestive system was packed with sand :-/

The remaining loach lasted for several years ... until he managed to sneak out of the small gap between my cover and filter that I had 'been meaning to cover' for months. This happened in the middle of the night. Fortunately, he was quickly discovered -- unfortunately, it was by my cats. I could hear them being very excited about something, so I decided to let them into the bedroom, in the hopes that they'd settle down and go to sleep. I was rewarded with a half-dead-loach on my pillow :-/

I also had a "sorority" tank of female bettas for a while. I had gone on vacation over a long weekend, and found that one of the girls had been badly beaten up by her tankmates -- she was literally half of a fish, her entire tail and peduncle was gone. Surprisingly, she healed up very well and (separated from the others) for about another year and a half.

Lark
01-14-2013, 12:42 AM
In one of my tanks I used to keep half a dozen black kuhli loaches. One day I decided to remove some of the hollow decorations to wash them over an industrial sink set up in my 'fish supply' room. An industrial sink with a garbage disposal.

A garbage disposal that happened to be running when several loaches fell out from the underside of a decoration.

Sarertnoc Kram
04-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Oscar swam out of bag into garbage disposal/sink drain today I tried to get him out but he is way to big for the 4" opening plus the rubber thing that catches food and was sliming up when I would try to grab him and flailing around inside after a few minutes and him not moving I decided to flip the garbage disposal switch thinking it would chop him up so I could get the rest of him out and it only took off a few scales and I was able to yank him threw with BBQ tongs because he was all stiff :( I am here feeling horrible

ska_kid
04-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Oscar swam out of bag into garbage disposal/sink drain today I tried to get him out but he is way to big for the 4" opening plus the rubber thing that catches food and was sliming up when I would try to grab him and flailing around inside after a few minutes and him not moving I decided to flip the garbage disposal switch thinking it would chop him up so I could get the rest of him out and it only took off a few scales and I was able to yank him threw with BBQ tongs because he was all stiff :( I am here feeling horrible

Omg

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sarertnoc Kram
04-27-2013, 10:10 PM
In one of my tanks I used to keep half a dozen black kuhli loaches. One day I decided to remove some of the hollow decorations to wash them over an industrial sink set up in my 'fish supply' room. An industrial sink with a garbage disposal.

A garbage disposal that happened to be running when several loaches fell out from the underside of a decoration.

Ahhh:/

LO J
04-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Had a red devil rip the nose off a gar :/ needless to say I learned my lesson and started doing my homework/research on fish I wanted

Sea_Let_E
04-27-2013, 11:21 PM
i had a cichlid that was being a pain in the a$$ and he some how jumped out the tank and into the garbage disposal

kissofcrimson
04-28-2013, 2:51 AM
Lot of garbage disposal stories on this page.. terrible. I've lost loaches down the sink but never one with a garbage disposal.

Evz jardini
04-28-2013, 3:13 AM
My dwarf snakehead had both his eyes plucked out by one of the cichlids and his tail chomped off lived for a bit was horrible

My jardini arrow has bitten a few cichlids in half in past that's not nice either he's evil

And our flowerhorns hump exploded with a Tumor we tried to save him but had no chance was messy horrible and expensive

Fish ay who'd av em lol

Tiller11
04-28-2013, 4:01 AM
I had a eel and a plevo and during the jight the pleco knocjed the arom offy foltwr.soy eel swam steaoght itnto the propeller of my filter.... I woke up at 3 with a geinding soubd n i thought it was sanf at first so i put the arm back on.... Emp 300 or whatev.... And i stilll heard it so i looked in an thwre was my eel... I tried for 10 min to plick him out with twesers but could got him so i dended up flushin him vause he died in the filter cause i couldnt get him out intime.... Litterally cut the filter open with a dremmel cause he was so entangled and i was too late... Sad morning after that but i leared so thats something

Sent from my SPH-D710 usingMonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tiller11
04-28-2013, 4:02 AM
Sorry dor my spelling.... Ite my 21st b day... Forgive me

demetri1k
04-28-2013, 4:16 AM
Sorry dor my spelling.... Ite my 21st b day... Forgive me

Happy birthday!

Evz jardini
04-28-2013, 8:49 AM
Happy b day , presume you've had a few drinkys lol

BigFinn
04-28-2013, 9:46 AM
I had a hob filter suck up n shred a betta and a curious SAE

baji
04-28-2013, 9:53 AM
My baby iridescent shark jump out of the tank, i searched him for 2 days and found him dried and eaten half by ants...

MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ryan144
04-28-2013, 10:42 AM
My severum got ich in her sinuses. You could even see it through her skin. Unfortunately I wasn't able to save her and she ended up dying in about two days

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Libpete
04-28-2013, 2:38 PM
A small pleco had its head bitten of by one of my rbp's. Its revenge was getting lodged with its pointy fins in the piranhas mouth, cutting that skin inside. Piranha survived, obv pleco did not.

MyGiants
04-28-2013, 3:39 PM
I had one of my Widebar dollar ram into the bottom of the Powerhead in a panic. Crushed the top of his head down over one eye pushing that eye down out of the sucket into his cheek. He swam in circles for a day till he succumbed to his massive injury.

Pazzoman
04-28-2013, 9:35 PM
One of my cousin's korilla pumps back then had a broken cover. It eventually broke off in the tank leaving the fan constantly turning without a guard.....eventually one of the parrot cichlids thought it would be fun to taste the propeller.....Basically most off his face was chopped off.... then eaten by a catfish....

skyliner
04-29-2013, 12:28 PM
I had a super red arowana. I think it was about 40-45 cm. One day I asked my employee to move it from aquarium to the small pond. I noticed something wrong with the fish. Then I moved it to the bigger aquarium. And it swam upside down with a big belly. It died the next day.
Then I recalled back, I asked my employee to remove the power head because arowana could jump, but he didn't remove it. I guess it jumped, hit the power head, and the swim bladder was damaged. that's why it swam upside down. Damnnnn.....I will never ask someone to move my arowana. next time, I'll do it myself.

Sarertnoc Kram
04-29-2013, 12:51 PM
One of my cousin's korilla pumps back then had a broken cover. It eventually broke off in the tank leaving the fan constantly turning without a guard.....eventually one of the parrot cichlids thought it would be fun to taste the propeller.....Basically most off his face was chopped off.... then eaten by a catfish....

Carfish are brutal

sunley213
05-02-2013, 6:13 AM
One of my Geophagus Tapajos was getting picked on, it was beaten up really badly. I thought i would do him a favor and moved him to a smaller tank to recover his strength. I check on him the next morning only to find he was covered in assassin snails, they were eating him alive :( very grim.

Shaunb
06-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Introduced a new tiger oscar to my tank my pike cichlid took a disliking to him and beat him up bad. Tried to save him but was to late. Rip little guy.

lubz
06-05-2013, 7:02 AM
Snakehead jumping 7 floors out a Window. Worst part was he was still alive and wriggled around before being baked in the sun

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrew1002
06-05-2013, 7:34 AM
A long time ago (like 3 years ago or 2 years ago) I bought an oscar because the guy at petco said he would be fine with my three red eared sliders. I take him home all excited and I put him in the tank. I had a 15 gallon tank at the time. He was an albino red oscar and I just dropped like $18 on him. I turn around to see him swimming around and I thought awesome! I start to drop in a couple pellets to feed the turtles, then bam, out of nowhere I see the one turtle come behind him and take a huge chunk out of his head then another and another. I was so shocked and really mad as I started to like him. I really didnt know anything at the time about fish keeping or turtle keeping. But he had like 5 big holes in him, then he started swimming around the top of the tank and he was alive still and he looked like a crater. I watchedhim then get completely eaten and taken to the bottom of the tank and they killed and ate every single inch of him. The last part I saw was his head with the eyes still attached and I was really sad

bigpac
06-08-2013, 2:30 PM
I had 2 albino tin barbs and a jack Dempsey get there jaw ripped off and their eyes plucked out of their sockets and partly eatin from the other fish after my alia electric blue cichlid would get into brawls at night with them and the worst part is they were still alive when I found them dismembered floating there

cainsthepain
06-12-2013, 4:02 AM
A coollie loach accidently made it too my big aggressive tank probably in plants and then got eaten straight away

chopsteeks
06-14-2013, 2:14 PM
I had a beautiful male Eureka Jake. He was about 2.5", but he was possessed. Super super hyperdominant. In the 125 gallon tank, it also houses a 3" dwarf Jewel cichlid --- I refer to as the peace keeper in the tank. Why ?

Jewel cichlid eliminates any fish that disrupts peace & harmony (relatively speaking) in this mbuna tank as he had eliminated an Auratus, Hongi and Red Zebras.

Well one morning, the Eureka Jake's upper head was gone....could see the brains, one eye completely gone....he was still alive and swimming like normal (rest of the body was intact).

Had to euthanized him in ice cold water.

Have no idea how he was still swimming normally...or even alive...

bobVillanueva
07-03-2013, 7:28 AM
My old 3' aba aba bit a chunk of my old 2' ir shark/catfish. Blood and guts all over.

Dr.Gonzo4
07-03-2013, 2:17 PM
I had ordered an Ornate Bichir on Aquascape, said it would be 6 inches, came in at ten inches and it took him a couple days but he got my Senegal Bichir that was about 4 in, i walked in just in time to see his head poking out of the ornates mouth. If aquascape had been accurate with fish info, then it wouldnt have happened

armada
07-03-2013, 2:59 PM
A couple months ago I had the flu and took a decent amount of Nyquil to get to sleep. I woke up vaguely remembering sleep walking to the fish tank. I went over there and saw I'd tried pulling the filter off, knocking off the intake thing, leaving just the tube. As soon as I turned it off to see what made it's way up there, 5 very decimated fish came rolling out. It was only my guppy tank so the losses weren't severe, but I still don't know why I felt it necessary to attempt to remove the running filter off of my tank while asleep...

ETA: I almost forgot an incident I had when I first started keeping fish. It was a tank I had bought off of craigslist - 20 gallon, with an insane amount of jewel cichlids. Everything surprisingly went fine until one morning I woke up and the water was dark brown and every fish was dead. It ended up being that one of the jewels rammed the heater and broke it, which caused them all to boil to death. Worst part of it is I'd woken up in the middle of the night and noticed the water seemed kind of murky but didn't think to check it out/do anything about it.

Aw3s0m3
07-03-2013, 4:46 PM
Not a fish but I had an axoltl that got captured by a large crayfish and it ate the entire salamander tail first. When I saw it in the morning, all that was left of the axo was the front half of its head :(

noelsfishland
07-03-2013, 5:06 PM
my fire eel swam into my return bulkhead did not find him till a did a water change and could not understand why no water was comeing out then found tail sticking out

Armand
07-05-2013, 2:37 PM
I thought a pleco of a decent size could live with my two RB piranha, because well you know, Plecos have an "armour".... one day I just woke up to see that one of the P's had taken a big chunk out of half plecos head...Piranhas have very powerful jaws indeed...

shawe1
09-05-2013, 5:55 PM
I see an offer on some small twin banded loaches so I got 3 of them, I got them back and didn't realise how small they really were. Two of them swam around fine but one of them didn't seem right, he was either really scared or ill. Anyway I come back one day and the light was off but I could make out my chocolate cichlid acting a bit weird....when I looked closer he had the little loach in his mouth trying to swallow him. Eventually he spat him out because he couldn't swallow him hole and the loach had no face left and no tail, it was pretty grim. God knows what the other loaches thought they must have been petrified!

On a happier note the other two loaches are getting on well 5 months later

Adamson
09-08-2013, 4:27 PM
4 day camping trip, came back to a Senegal bichir nibbled to death by some baby caribe.

Mosredrum
09-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Not mine. But years ago when I worked at petco the manager had a platty jump out of the tank and land in her mouth.. gulp 'n gone.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pole
09-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Not mine. But years ago when I worked at petco the manager had a platty jump out of the tank and land in her mouth.. gulp 'n gone.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using MonsterAquariaNetwork Appthat's gonna be my sig when I work out how u get em.My most gruesome death was a betta ripped a shrimps heart out, let it die slowly, then ate its body

Danielcho
12-11-2013, 5:38 PM
One day my dad decides hes going to do a 100% water change because winter is here. I come home to find him changing 10k gallons worth of water with low 30 degree F water right out the hose when its snowing with no water conditioner. Had about 80 fish koi/goldfish and two carp die. The shock did kill off a decent amount but he added about two bottles of highly concentrated copper based algae killer thinking it was water conditioner which killed most of the reaming stock. Never thought someone could be so clueless continuing to shock/burn/kill the fish after telling him what hes doing is wrong, my dad is Hitler of the fish species.

festaedan
12-11-2013, 5:48 PM
I ordered a baby stingray a little while ago, she was origionaly going to grow out in my 120 with arowana, H.temporalus, and gruop of G.balzani. I've heard good things about tile and since it would be really easy to clean I went with tile for the substrate because the gravel would probably scratch the ray. The stingray came about 3" smaller than I thought so I put her in my 55 sand bottom tank until she was large enough for the 120. I thought the tile looked cool so I left it in there. I didn't do any research on the tile and I wasn't sure if it was fish safe. Little did I know I was about to find out. The paint on the tile had some chemical that went into the tank. It litterally made the skin on the fish melt off and their fins could no longer move. Then their eyes got cloudy and they started to look (and act) like zombies. The next morning the 18" aro and balzani where dead. The chocolate cichlid seemed fine and happy. The big girl is still alive today. When I flushed the aro he ended up clogging the toilet. I still haven't gotten over losing him.

MyGiants
12-11-2013, 5:49 PM
One of my Widebar dollars a year ago when it was around 5" in a panic as they can do he slammed up into a powerhead pushing his eye way down into his throat crushing the area around the eye socket. He lived for a day before succumbing to its injury.

Danielcho
12-11-2013, 5:57 PM
I ordered a baby stingray a little while ago, she was origionaly going to grow out in my 120 with arowana, H.temporalus, and gruop of G.balzani. I've heard good things about tile and since it would be really easy to clean I went with tile for the substrate because the gravel would probably scratch the ray. The stingray came about 3" smaller than I thought so I put her in my 55 sand bottom tank until she was large enough for the 120. I thought the tile looked cool so I left it in there. I didn't do any research on the tile and I wasn't sure if it was fish safe. Little did I know I was about to find out. The paint on the tile had some chemical that went into the tank. It litterally made the skin on the fish melt off and their fins could no longer move. Then their eyes got cloudy and they started to look (and act) like zombies. The next morning the 18" aro and balzani where dead. The chocolate cichlid seemed fine and happy. The big girl is still alive today. When I flushed the aro he ended up clogging the toilet. I still haven't gotten over losing him.

Clogged the toilet... Oh lord I would run out the house and start ripping my lawn out and begin biting bark off the trees.

juanmacipag
12-12-2013, 10:45 PM
It is always my first thing in the morning routine, check my tank - And on that Sunday morning to my surprise there is no one swimming, my heartbeat was so fast while walking closely to the tank and on the floor my cold hard "Gabriel" a 16in Silver Arowana. He jumped out of the tank, slammed on the floor and gasped for air till his last breathe and I wasn't there to help my Gabriel :( I will not forget that morning for I wept for him...To pay respect I buried him for he was first beloved Arowana.

pcpolo111
12-12-2013, 11:17 PM
I got 4 dozen cute little guppies and I put them in with my goonch, the next morning they were all gone. I was heart broken

flowerhornfishman
12-13-2013, 9:51 AM
my dad had a giant gourami before. he bought it from a friend at 5"long(i didnt actually remember) 3yrs later, he went on a trip. while he was on the trip he told me to change the water which i didnt know how to back then because i was still inexperienced on fishkeeping. after i changed it, about two days later, he was gasping for air at the top of the tank. i didnt know what to do. we took him out and his tummy is bloated. i test the water with anti-chlorine tester and my god, i didnt put enough anti-chlorine in it. a few hrs after tht he left us, which was one of the most greatest loss we've ever had, especially my dad. it made him quit the hobby until now. our gg died on the 29th of november 2009. gosh, i still remember the date. we knew tht if we bought a new gg, it wouldnt be the same as before. makes my dad feel sad everytime we watch some videos of him tht my dad took. RIP our beloved red tail gg.

shelbybmc
12-13-2013, 10:03 AM
One of my young Orinos got sucked down into my PVC overflow and got stuck in my filter sock for about 6 hours. After noticing my stock was short I found him and put him back in the tank. He had hardly any fins left and was blind. He lasted a sad two days before he was belly up stuck in between some drift wood :(.

JDcowboy12
12-13-2013, 11:46 AM
My cat fished out my needle nose gar. I chased her around the house until I finally got the fish back.

juanmacipag
12-14-2013, 6:57 PM
picture of Gabriel that morning 4years ago :(

BuffaloPolypteridae
12-14-2013, 8:39 PM
New gruesome death for me

My cat was locked in my room by my sister... said cat loves to paw at my tanks (other then the 70 w/ the big guys, the wolf flips and scares her away). BUT she loves to mess with my 10 gallon, which normally isn't an issue because I'm watching her.

Well it was an issue w/o anyone in the room, an African butterfly fish my buddy gave me that was already roughed up from a 5 inch bichir was in my 10 gallon while a bichir was being QT'd in my 30. Came home to half the butterfly fish on my floor, my cat ate it. Must have jumped out of fright and then was probably a very amusing toy and tasty snack for my cat, Nala. Of course the cat we name after a lion is the one that kills things and leaves a mess (has done it before w/ chipmunks and mice)

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

joel
12-14-2013, 8:48 PM
The strainer somehow got knocked off the fx5 and my 9" delhizi decided to go check it out. I woke up to a cloudy tank and a dead delhizi. It was hard to pull the remains from the tube.

Jennstin
12-15-2013, 9:14 PM
(1st story) One day after feeding the fish everything was going fine in the tank then about a couple hours later in the night heard thrashing while watching tv coming from the tank decided to go check it out noticed that one of the redtail catfish was deathrolling the motoro stingray and basically ripped all of his skin off and managed to snap his tail poor thing tried to save him as much as we could put him in a different tank but he unfortunately didnt survive.

(2nd story)Had a 15" silver arowana in a tank with two redtails along with two hybrids and a tiger and for a few nights kept hearing alot of splashing going on so decided to get up and take a look arowana managed to jump through a 3 quarter inch slot ontop of the tank and was on the floor the catfish were attacking him in the middle of the night. So we moved the catfish into a seperate tank and decided to fix the slot so he wouldnt jump out so one morning woke up and noticed the arrowana was dead on the floor :(.

zazadov
12-21-2013, 6:42 AM
hey guys im really sorry that i shouldnt be posting here but it seems that most of u guys must be involved in having a silver arowana. i really need help right now i have 11 inch long silver arowana in 85g fish tank his tank mates are ( golden severum red spotted severum) small frontosa, few tropheus and princess burundi. generally arowana is not disturbed by its being. as u can see in the video it has no scars no nothing. but still hes not swimming properly. his constantly shaking his head. heres the video plz help me out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-7JBa2RMSY

Danielcho
12-22-2013, 11:19 PM
hey guys im really sorry that i shouldnt be posting here but it seems that most of u guys must be involved in having a silver arowana. i really need help right now i have 11 inch long silver arowana in 85g fish tank his tank mates are ( golden severum red spotted severum) small frontosa, few tropheus and princess burundi. generally arowana is not disturbed by its being. as u can see in the video it has no scars no nothing. but still hes not swimming properly. his constantly shaking his head. heres the video plz help me out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-7JBa2RMSY

Looks like swim bladder. Very hard to cure, good luck try to move it into another cycled tank and drain out most the water so hes just coasting on the bottom. This will help him balance himself and hopfully he can heal. Just look up some cures for swim bladder.

krichardson
12-22-2013, 11:28 PM
May not be the worst compared to some of the deaths mentioned here but I have lost a few fish over the years due to them jumping out of the tank and dying on the floor...It must be pretty gruesome to flap around helplessly with the tank so close by and no way to get back to it.I've come home to almost completely dried out Arowana,a few cichlids,and even a large dat and I'm sorry I wasn't home in time to save them.

robroy
12-25-2013, 7:12 AM
I had a small Asian Sun Catfish in a grow out. Forgot the strainer on the intake was off on my Eheim liberty filter. Came home to find dozens of tiny bits of flesh all over the floor on the bottom of the tank. And no sign of a catfish :(

zazadov
12-25-2013, 7:04 PM
actually my first arowana died from jumping out from aquarium he got completely dry. :( it was a bad scene for my eyes
thanks for your help and support but it turned out that its a parasite. i tried to cure him with clear ( a flowerhorn drug which cures hex) and i thought its his last moments (im talking about arowana) so it might be a parasite and i gave it a shot. i got my syringe filled it up with the mixture got it in his throat and after an hour or so he was fine i could not believe my eyes. i was so happy. currently im still trying to cure my arowana with that drug and the reason why i believe that it was not a swimming lbadder problem was because my fish-tank water was perfectly fine since i got him. allways crystal clear with no exceptions. so why would it be bladder so u know. :) im kinda satisfied that clear kindly cured him. however he still does not accept my shrimps, :D maybe ill give it some time after 2 days or so i think he'll be fine :)

zazadov
12-25-2013, 7:20 PM
and according to my experience in fish keeping. there were many unpleasant moments. the worse death was when my catfish was trying to eat my fire eel. yep fire eel was 68 cm long when redtail catfish was about 52. so fire eel was too fat huge and stuff and i still cant figure out how redtail managed to attack him . the point is that redtail attacked him but he was only able to swallow the half of him the tail of the eel all that happened during the night when i woke up i saw a catfish trying to eat the eel and i could see his head and half body outside he was dead already and even colorless. some other habitats were trying to bite its head and eyes. it mustve been sever not only for watching but for fish itself :( i was literally depressed about that

juddb
01-29-2014, 12:16 AM
So far the worst death of mine was a 10 in oscar brutally killed by my dovii. Of course i didnt know much about dovii before getting him. I felt terrible. Now he lives with a pleco.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TheNewSeverum
01-30-2014, 12:39 PM
I have a few about HOB filters.

Had a marble hatchet fish when I was younger. I just finished doing a water change and I was refilling the filter up with the water from the tank. I scooped him up and threw him in the filter. Didn't even know it. I looked in the tank and saw he was gone, looked in the filter and there he was. Lucky for him I didn't turn the filter back on. So he lived, but he jumped out of the tank and became a crisp. Stupid fish.

Intake tube fell off my Aquaclear 110. How that happened I don't know. Sucked my large platinum angel up there. I pulled her out but she was messed up bad. I euthanized her.

Intake tube fell off my Penguin 350. Probably by my large tinfoil. White skirt tetra got sucked up in there. I noticed it went missing but I assumed the barb ate it. I was cleaning out the filter because the flow was slow. Surely enough, there that fish (or what was left of it) was. Wrapped around the propeller inside the filter. I couldn't even begin to imagine that kind of death.. I hope he went fast..

Lets see, what else..

Jade goby jumped out of his holding tank. Became a crisp. Boy was I livid on that one.

Electric blue crayfish molted. Was ripped to pieces by a swarm of africans.

Large Black Moor ate my ottocat.

Striped Pike ate a large BN pleco. It killed him.

Had a pond in my backyard in New York with 24 large koi in it. We had a very very rough winter with a lot of snow. Snow covered the heaters. No gas exchange so we lost 22 of them as well as 3 catfish and several turtles. Only survivors were a large goldfish and an ugly koi. As well as 2 red eared sliders. I broke the ice open and being that I worked pet retail I knew that smell as soon as it hit me. Some of those fish were almost 10 years old. Devastating.

A few stories from my retail life.

I was cleaning betta bowls one day. Wasnt paying attention and there was a fish still in one of them. I ran him under hot water. I flipped out and ran and threw him in one of the tanks. Not paying attention (again) I threw him in the tank with a RTC. Yeah.. he ate him.

Same RTC, (larger now) ate a $25 panda parrot.

Large green terror, came in. Beautiful fish. My manager was very dead set on feeding the larger fish goldfish every day. Well it took its toll on that green terror. He developed HitH, a fungus, his eye started to pop out, as well as having an extremely large bite mark in his side. He lived for a few weeks than died. Kinda sad..

Medicated a tank of large Geos. They all died.

Large FL gar made the leap of faith. Died.

Yeah quite a bit honestly.

ichthusfish
01-31-2014, 5:17 AM
I orderd a 300buck dorado silver catfish..well I got it aclimated and put it in to the tank and went to wash my hands and when I was back my rtc had hlaf of his body in his mouth...guess he couldnt swallow couse of the tail...I tried to rescue him but didnt let go. So when I woke up the next morning the rtc was chocked to death so thats two of my favs dead.
I also orderd a paddlefish which was quite difficult here in korea but he had no eyes and had this wierd fungus thing all over him and his snout was all bloody messed up but the water perms were fine. So thats another death of a decent fish

Sent from my SHV-E300K using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

reptileguy112
02-01-2014, 11:17 PM
I had a huge 9 inch comet goldfish I thought could live temporarily with a 2 inch flowerhorn........ the flowerhorn chewed him up and got one of his eyes, I put him in another tank and he was recovering real well and then got very sick and slowly died through about 3 days.I was thinking I should maybe put him out of his misery but I thought he might make it.:(

reptileguy112
02-06-2014, 2:15 PM
AHHHHH!

TylerT
03-05-2014, 1:53 AM
Kitten rtc ate my arowana. About got rid of the cat fish but I'm just gonna get a biger arowana lol

Ninjabadger
04-10-2014, 4:15 AM
Way back in the days of the smaller tank I had an Oscar, lonely guy thought I'd get him a friend. Popped down to the local shop and spotted a rather belligerent red devil cichlid. Figured he looked a similar size and would make the perfect chum for my little Oscar. (before the days when I did actual research on the fish I introduced to the tank) Lasted about a week before I came home and found the new guy munching on the poor Oscar. Wasn't much left of him in the end fins, head, bit of a spine.

ericmagnus
04-10-2014, 5:05 AM
I bought two 7 inch dojo loaches and put them in my upperjaw bichir tank. They were larger than the smallest bichirs in there which was a short bodied delhezi and a 5 inch mokelembembe. A few days off everyone seemed like pals. Then one day i just found the dojo loach being swallowed by the delhezi.....who was short bodied......and only 4 inches....i didnt expect that since even my 12 inch palmas palmas was ignoring everyone and acting all high and mighty in the tank

GyradosOwner
04-10-2014, 10:13 AM
So, I had several tanks at the time- one of which is a breeding tank, one containing rather large chiclids and one containing a sizeable gar and small red tail catfish. I impulse bought some fish and got home remembering that I would need to relocate my chiclid (he would tear the fish to shreds). I decided to set up a temporary holding tank for him- realizing how I did not think anything through, but until it was prepared I assumed he was large enough to last the two minutes in the gar + cat tank. Honestly I was more worried about my gar getting his eyes pecked out more than anything. At this point I will reiterate that I should have thought it through and just got a bucket for him, but I was in a rush. As I was setting up the tank, my friend dropped the chiclid in followed by an immediate "OH MY...." which was due to the gar biting into him on entry. The fish survived because the catfish tried to eat it out of the gar's mouth and he escaped in the struggle. The fish somehow was pretty strong but before I could get him out he was swallowed by the catfish. Pretty dull ending, right? NO! The chiclid swam out of the catfishes mouth. I swear. At this point I was debating between mercy and euthanasia due to how insane this situation was. Well the chiclid immediately was bitten again by the gar and still survived. Unfortunately, this left him with no stamina and he slowly awaited death in the corner before the catfish ate him. The worse part? That chiclid was one of my earliest fish. All because of hubris and impatience.

KarthikC
04-12-2014, 2:00 PM
Everyone said the loaches are fast, really fast. So I had yoyos and one schistura loach with my Channa (snakehead). They were all fine and the channa didn't seem to bother them. Once I saw this loach schistura wriggling in the channas mouth. Damn he had crushed him and swallowed him even though the loach is twice as fast as channa. I hate giving live feed to fish and was feeling terribly bad for the loach.

Lesson learnt: never trust a snakehead.
Cheers,

Karthik

BuffaloPolypteridae
04-12-2014, 2:04 PM
My stalsbergi has had a habit of ripping eyes off geos

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99
04-12-2014, 8:38 PM
I didn't know at the time but my very friendly personable angelfish (was my favorite :() had a gram positive fungal infection. My mollies were biting him so I out him in a large net at the top of the tank for a few days hoping he'd recover. In three days he was blind, bleeding from his back half, and had slime coat seething off him so I euthanized him with the ice method and buried him under my pool deck.

joel
04-12-2014, 8:59 PM
This is a fluval fx5 input. Half the strainer got knocked off one night1004870

hereticlosmorte
04-13-2014, 8:24 PM
the foam guard fell off of my filter intake and sucked up a bunch of discus fry and ground them up in the impeller. -_-

hereticlosmorte
04-13-2014, 8:38 PM
2nd story, my city uses chloramine instead of chlorine in our water supply, and doses it in 1:1 ratios. somehow, it ended up with a 4:1 ratio of ammonia to chlorine, wiped out my community tank (angels, clown loaches, small fronts, rams, etc) and wreaked havoc in my ray tank, causing my male retic (avatar pic) with claspers unrolling to swell up 3 times the size and suffocate/internal organ failure. lost hundreds of dollars of fish, and years of dedication in getting a breeding retic ray pair.
my female ray stopped eating after the death of her mate and allowed herself to literally starve to death.

mike_sema
07-18-2014, 11:33 PM
I use eggcreat on some of my stock tanks, found a 11inch P.palmas palmas had tried to smash through the eggcreat, well he managed to split his face in 3 section and got stuck out of the water overnight... real lesson is to always have access to a camera lol

Fish Fingers
07-19-2014, 11:17 PM
I have a couple of gruesome deaths I wont forget, one, a Clown Trigger, bit a large hole in the side, just above the gut area, of a Mimic Tang and you could see right through the poor thing. It survived for a few days and even resumed eating but the food came straight out of the wound. The second was when I was feeding a 3ft Snowflake Moray a piece of squid and a big Silver Scat approx. 8" stupidly got between the frenzied eel and it's lunch. The usually non fish eating Moray pinned the hapless scat by it's head and proceeded to smash it to jelly against the rocks turning the water pink and then swallowed the lot.

ss720
07-21-2014, 2:43 PM
This is sort of related, but not a fish.

I work at a petstore, and a woman brought a seagull in a bag last Friday, she said it flew into her window and it had clearly broken it's wing and was suffering.

She wanted me to to kill it to spare it the pain, at first I was reluctant and told her to take it to the vet, but they were too far away and she didn't have a car..... So I bashed the head in with a hammer, I didn't know how to do it correctly, your supposed to hit the back head, but I hit it flat on the side.

It was awful, hopefully it didn't feel a thing, I wrapped the head in a towel first so I didn't have to see the damage.

bloodlucky
08-04-2014, 12:44 AM
This is sort of related, but not a fish.

I work at a petstore, and a woman brought a seagull in a bag last Friday, she said it flew into her window and it had clearly broken it's wing and was suffering.

She wanted me to to kill it to spare it the pain, at first I was reluctant and told her to take it to the vet, but they were too far away and she didn't have a car..... So I bashed the head in with a hammer, I didn't know how to do it correctly, your supposed to hit the back head, but I hit it flat on the side.

It was awful, hopefully it didn't feel a thing, I wrapped the head in a towel first so I didn't have to see the damage.

Ugh

K626
11-02-2014, 9:43 PM
Had a clown knife I had to re home. I got him at 2 inches and he was about 18 inches when I decided he needed a new home. Took him to the all fish emporium because they had a huge (had to be 1200 gallon) display he would be good in. The put him in the holding tank in back to acclimate and forgot about him, dumped him in as they were turning off the lights and leaving. I went in the next day, to find him in a 20 gallon selling tank. His tail was ripped off about 2 inches up, nose ripped off, and beat bloody. I cried, bawling in the store. Lost my calm demeanor, and proceeded to make a scene that drew attention from everyone. About 30 people came and saw what happened, and the manager ended up firing the employee that was so careless. He was torn to shreds. I've never seen a fish torn up like that before or since.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ichthusfish
11-03-2014, 2:44 AM
So....is it the c.k in your profile pic?

K626
11-03-2014, 10:45 AM
No. This is the one I kept. The other was a silver, and was beating on him.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App