Something wrong with my tem's tail

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
So today when i looked at my tank i noticed my tem has a circular patch of skin on his tail right above the occelaris that is gone. I can see the individual rays of bonse of the tail and also there is a tiny hole that goes throught the tail in another part of it. What should i do? Ive already added salt and the temp is already at 84. Is it ammonia burn? but none of my other fish have it. Also i did my usual 75% wc today. I can get pics if it will help

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
troutking;4257785; said:
So today when i looked at my tank i noticed my tem has a circular patch of sking on his tail right above the occelaris that is gone. I can see the individual rays of the tale and also there is a tiny hole that goes throught the tail in another part of it. What should i do? Ive already added salt and the temp is already at 84. Is it ammonia burn? but none of my other fish have it. Also i did my usual 75% wc today.
Don't know for sure bro but it sounds bacterial or fungus or a combo of the two maybe from an injury.kick up the temp to 89 and watch him.Before treating with meds.

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
HULON;4257794; said:
Don't know for sure bro but it sounds bacterial or fungus or a combo of the two maybe from an injury.kick up the temp to 89 and watch him.Before treating with meds.
But im thinking if it was either of the two or both wouldnt it begin at the back of the tail and not in like a perfect circle area of it? Could it be heater burn? Thats wat im leaning toward because it happened overnight

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
troutking;4257799; said:
But im thinking if it was either of the two or both wouldnt it begin at the back of the tail and not in like a perfect circle area of it? Could it be heater burn? Thats wat im leaning toward because it happened overnight
one of orino once got a heater burn it was at first lighter next day darker and kinda cracked looking but healed pretty quikly almost a perfect oval.Hopefully that is what it is.Keep a sharp eye out though with you doing a large water change i assume you use prime its got the slime coat booster if it's a burn and not either of the other it should start healing quikley .

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
HULON;4257822; said:
one of orino once got a heater burn it was at first lighter next day darker and kinda cracked looking but healed pretty quikly almost a perfect oval.Hopefully that is what it is.Keep a sharp eye out though with you doing a large water change i assume you use prime its got the slime coat booster if it's a burn and not either of the other it should start healing quikley .
yea a couple of my other fish have had heater burns in an oval shape like u said but the burns have been on their body but none of the burns had been that bad where theyve gone this deep before.....would pics help?

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
troutking;4257837; said:
yea a couple of my other fish have had heater burns in an oval shape like u said but the burns have been on their body but none of the burns had been that bad where theyve gone this deep before.....would pics help?
Sure would .Maybe someone else will regonize the problem strait away.That way you can get him treated quikley.

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
here are some crappy pics from my phone...the tail bone rays that are exposed seem to be broken off from the rest of the ray but still seem to connected at the base. I dont think this is good i dont wanna lose him

Photo0435.jpg

Photo0437.jpg

Photo0434.jpg

Photo0433.jpg

Photo0431.jpg

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
Leaning toward bacterial now .But is it flaking off bro? Did you raise the temp a little also is it icreasing in size shinking or the same as last night .One more thing how about his appetite?Also if you want to go ahead and treat hit lupin up for the right antibiotic it will destroy your cycle so you may want to isolate.Oh and good luck bro i can tell you care for him!!!!:D

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
HULON;4258662; said:
Leaning toward bacterial now .But is it flaking off bro? Did you raise the temp a little also is it icreasing in size shinking or the same as last night .One more thing how about his appetite?
His appetite is great still. Hes still one of the most aggressive smashing the pellets. I dont think its flaking. I did raise the heater up a bit but its still in the process of warming up. I cant really tell if there has been a difference so i say it looks the same.

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
troutking;4258678; said:
His appetite is great still. Hes still one of the most aggressive smashing the pellets. I dont think its flaking. I did raise the heater up a bit but its still in the process of warming up. I cant really tell if there has been a difference so i say it looks the same.
I say wait a little and see but still hit lupin up just in case.With his appetite still good don't want to treat for no reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store