Most coveted/desired Peacock Bass?

Watersprite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Raleigh, NC
www.myspace.com
I have been looking for some juvenile Peacock Bass to raise. I never realized there where so many species and color variations. I would appreciate some advice as to which species are the most attractive (at an adult size). I was thinking Cichla orinocensis was the most attractive but I am not sure about that. I would hate to buy 15 + of one species and then realize that I would rather have another. Thanks guys

cpr_mike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Columbus
I would say orino but I would not buy 15 of them in just one tank. Mix them up. They all look good. What I like to do is have decent fish around a show stopper. Buy 5 mono 5 ocell and 5 orino if you are looking at doing that. You will get to choose the best of the best and sell the rest. I hope you have a big enough tank for multiple 15 inch fish.

Watersprite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Raleigh, NC
www.myspace.com
They would be going into a 65 grow-out tank until they have acclimated and are ready to transfer to the 300 gallon. It would be an upgrade as they go type thing. I wanted to buy several so I can pick the best specimens. I would like to keep 8-10.

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
the most desired species would probably be xingu fogo intermedia etc. But u can rarely get these. The most desired pbasses that u can get more easily get are probably azuls and kelberis right now. Orinos too but they are getting really common now. They are nice still when they are full grown. U can order some from snookn21 or get some from anubias design he's bringing in some from germany which loook really nice

Reactions: dr exum

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
I would say Orinos,some kelberi,some monos,pinimas,tems, and azuls. These are all bass you can get and have some of the best colors and patterns. Plus you can put them all together....For awhile.

ado124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Alexandria, VA
This really depends on personal preference. each species has the potential of making your jaw drop. I've seen mono's i'd take over kelberi, ocells over azuls, kelberi/orinos over xingu/fogo, etc.

In general i think it goes: ocells, monos, tems, orinos, pinima, kelberi, azuls, xingu, intermedia (from most common to rarest) this is excluding any "special" variants within the species and is just my personal opinion.

Reactions: dr exum

fishysocks2012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
San Antonio
10 peacock bass in a 300 is way overstocked. i would say two is your max, but even that is pushing it.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
it's all personal preference. lots of folks get caught up in the "rare" factor even if the cichla looks like a brown bullhead catfish from a local river :ROFL:but wait and see, all these "common" cichla will be hard to find in a few years. look at ocellaris. it's very hard to find a good looking "true" ocellaris these days, even though they were the most common bass a few years ago.

i personally think no cichla is more beautiful than a true wild ocellaris or orino, followed by mono. tems and azuls are blah to me. kelberi are nice but too many end up being duds and look like crap. xingus are blah. intermedias are gorgeous but good luck finding any. people have orgasms over Fogo but i dont think theyll ever look as good in captivity as they do in the wild.

i would still love to see a Vazzoleri in a tank, those are :drool:

superleggera123

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2009
Toronto
agree with jose
people get caught in the rare factor
i have an orino and azul
and IMO
nothing beats a full grown azul or orino..
i love kelberi. but im noticing more and more of them look like monos with spangles instead of heavily gold encrusted kelberis i used to see.
xingu are cool but if it was up to me
id have a tank with only azuls, orinos, intermedias

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store