Single Cichla

D. Hedington

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2009
QLD, austaralia
is it possible to house a single fish, do they need others of their own kind to stay healthy and content.
And What size tank are we talking for a single, or even a single cichla and a few smaller cichlids?
(I dont plan on buying a pb anytime soon until I've done enough research, so no need to get upset all.)

cheers

jimmie1974

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2008
New Jersey
I've seen two monos breed in a 125. If you keep it for the life of it, you will need something at least 2 ft. wide down the road, but for now a 90 gallon til they start putting on some size. Once 7-8" plus, upgrade. They do better in groups, very fun to watch, but yeah, you can keep one. I've raised them for about 12 years now, and always seem to want to add more different species. Snookn21 has some nice ones on aquabid and Jeff Rapps at tangledupincichlids gets the best, no offense John. Go to youtube, theres plenty of videos on there if you type in the scientific names, monoculas, orinocensis, ocellaris, azul, temensis, pinima, etc. Good luck and best of luck in your choice.

jimmie1974

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2008
New Jersey
yes, a 180 is fine for one or two up to 16-18" being that a 180 is 2' wide. Their may be exporters in Hawaii if you do a google search

Casper2000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
New York City
I wouldn't go for azuls, tems, or pinima in a 2ft wide though. Orinos and kelbs probably. Best to go with 30" if not 36" width

jimmie1974

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2008
New Jersey
the only reason why I say that size, is because most of us get tiresome and want to add new fish. You'll get rid of the fish before it reaches that size is what I'm saying, most of us do. So add what you want

D. Hedington

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2009
QLD, austaralia
Im guessing Cichla are fairly agro, not being a great comm fish, tho I've seen them kept in huge 240+G tanks.
opinions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store