HITH in Cichla Temensis...A common thing?

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
I have noticed that a lot of photos I see of Temensis (particularly adults) seem to have HITH.

A friend of mine has 2 adult specimens and are showing slight signs of HITH. I know for a fact that his water is pristine and they only get the best of foods, so this got me thinking.

Are they more prone to HITH than other cichla or cichlids in general? It just seems as though most of the large specimens I see seem to have a slight case of it.

Maybe you guys that see a lot more cichla than I do can chime in here? I would hate to think that mine could get it so easily...

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Im not sure. Ive had alot of smaller ones that never got it. But ive seen some with it. I would say 75% without and 25% with. Also seen alot of monos with it aswell.

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
ya this is just opinion not fact but i think the temensis and pinima seem to be more prone to hith .Some guys even have 1000 gal and above and the big tems still seem to have a touch of it.Seems a constant battle with those big brutes.

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
Steve_89;4269052; said:
I have noticed that a lot of photos I see of Temensis (particularly adults) seem to have HITH.

A friend of mine has 2 adult specimens and are showing slight signs of HITH. I know for a fact that his water is pristine and they only get the best of foods, so this got me thinking.

Are they more prone to HITH than other cichla or cichlids in general? It just seems as though most of the large specimens I see seem to have a slight case of it.

Maybe you guys that see a lot more cichla than I do can chime in here? I would hate to think that mine could get it so easily...
I am no expert, but I have seen a lot cichla come and go at our local science center. Displays change every few months, and fish are often traded with other centers. A lot cichla come in with HITH also, despite being well cared for. I think HITH in this species has a lot to do with stress, being crowded in display tanks with a lot of other fish. It seems to me that this would be unnatural for the fish, and thus, stressful. If the water is kept clean, and in proper parameters, good food is given, the only other factor would be unatural stress. That's my theory anyway. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store