Peacock bass advise

Cakilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Illinois
I have really thinking about getting some peacock bass but I am unsure of what species I want, I have done tons of reading and lots of searches on google I found out quite a bit but still not sure what species would be best to start off with, I really like the coloring of Orino's but not sure if it would be a good beginer Peacock?

I want to get a group of fry and grow them out ( another reason why I am leaning towards orino's, fairly cheap, great coloration, and don't get as big so I would have room for a group of 4 or so )

If I do get them they will be small 1.5 inches and most likely wouldn't be pellet trained so about what size should I attempt to train them to eat pellets?

I know how silly this sounds but I would like to hear from people who have kept Orino's , would you recomend them? what kind of temperment do they have ... would they go out of there way to start a scuffle?

what is the best kind of lighting to use to bring out their bright greens ?
what tank mates would you suggest?

Please do not say to use google, cause I am, but I would also like to hear personal experiences from people who kept/ keeps them, I know there are quite a few people who I would call experts when it comes to cichla and I value what they have to say.:popcorn:

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Orinos are definitely a good beginner bass cuz they are cheap now and they have a nice green color when they are older. And they grow relatively slower compared to monos. occels etc. Temperment wise orinos are pretty nasty at times. Especially my 2 RMs and my RN. But it really isnt that bad just a little flaring here and there. I would still definitely recommend them still. Some poeple recommend to start pellet training when they are bigger but ive always started early once ive got them. If they are skinny though just feed them guppies or blackworms or bloodworms until they are little beefier then try to starve them on pellets. But dont all out starve them or else theyll die. Some pbass are easily switch over to pellets but some are all out stubborn. I recommend feeding them nonlive when u first get them if they will take it so switching to pellets later will be much easier.

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
I recommend orinos for a start. I have kept a ton of them so far and they look awesome when they are large! I always start off with training mine on blood worms when they are tiny and then move to pellets when they are around 3 inches. For lighting I use a 10,000k bulb and a 6,700k bulb. They are only aggressive at times, mainly over food. For tank mates I have severums same size or larger, other SA cichlids, arowanas, and bigger catfish.

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
My current stock....

5 " Peru Mono
7 " RM Orino
4" Mono
2-10" Tems
1-7" Tem
1-5" Tem

I love my Orino, but they grow to So Damm Slow.....If he does'nt start growing soon, he's going to become a feeder for my Tem's

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
I'd say Rino's and yes they have attitude you can bet but that is part of their personality witch is part of the attraction at least to me.This is my second round with fry and I found it really amusing that at one inch they were already flaring and chasing each other!!!!They are like a gang of school punks running around starting trouble and when caught take off running:ROFL::ROFL::headbang2

Cakilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Illinois
Thanks for the info everyone, I really appreciate it, I think I am going to give orinos a try, How "hardy" are they at an inch and a half long ? do they have to have any special care other then plenty of food and clean water ?

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
I also say orino's giving that they are slow growers, kinda in high demand (easier to sell if pbass is not your thing or get tired of) rather easy to convert to other foods. But, REALLY sensitive to PH changes, massive water changes, shock, and really delicate/scares easy. (all when young, under 6''). Hardy fish....I would say yes. Besides all the cons I said about them (owners error I guess), all in all really hardy fish. Tankmate...check out my old threads, and pretty much every bodys thread in the Cichla media lounge threads.

Care for them, rather easy. For me, I like to have grow out tanks. If you get a pack of 10 @ 2'', I would put them in a 40gal with a fluval 405 with 30% water changes a week. Temp set at 82-86 degrees with moderate air stones. Dithers (for me) are used to increase feeding habits and help the orino's to eat other foods. I like to use gold fish, just because they eat from the top and sift the sand pretty good to.

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
I've been growing my Peru Monos out slightly different, having come from a discus background. 9 fingerling fish, in a bare bottomed 55, for ease of cleaning, with floating plastic plants and branchy driftwood. 2- well cycled sponge filters with airstones, and temps 88-90 degrees. Feedings are small live guppies that have been fed Hikari Gold, and live black worms, 3-4 times a day. Bottom is vacuumed daily, and 50% water change every other day with clean water of the same temp. and PH. The main thing I guess is always have clean, warm water, and good food. Mine are growing like crazy. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store