fiberglass vs pleco

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
i have a 8*3*3 fiberglass tank and want to put a plec in it to keep the alge down
my question is will rasping on the fiberglass do the plec any harm:confused:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
most plecs are pretty poor at eating algae, cept commons, ancistrus sp. and a couple of others. a lot of the plecos have teeth too, so the chance of trying to digest i would say would be high, but i dunno if it would be bad for it. i cant imagine it would be good, but...
id find another way, even one giant royal wouldnt keep a tank that size particularly clean

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
I had the revese problem...my plecos would find a thin spot in the fiberglassing (wood tanks with fiberglass lining) that are not visible to the naked eye and concentrate on that spot until they had gone right thru it and caused a leak. Twice in one tank and three times in another. Escape plan? maybe...:naughty:

somthinsfishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2005
ogden, ut, us
I highly doubt they will digest it. I have a L114 that made it's styrofoam/cement cave larger by chewing out the styro foam. Still alive and well. Only problem is the styrofoam mess it has made.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Mine was a 14in common. Don't know where the remnants went, but I always watched where he stayed from then on. :grinyes:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
well a lot of plecos eat and digest wood, and i know plecos have digested homemade caves made from styrofoam and died (unsuprisingly) so its something i would be at least cautious about

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store