need help on setting up my tank for peacock bass

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
ok i got a 72 gallon bow front tank..one filter, heater natural rocks/pet store rocks..i need to know how to maintain for peacock bass?? as of how ofter to change water,what to feed them and how ofter and what kind of lighting..i'm also on a budget..thing is lower the cost to put into the tank better..i will be upgrading this tank to a bigger one in a few months..i've got 3 baby peacock bass..all advice and info welcome thank you..

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
bassinmike85;4276679; said:
ok i got a 72 gallon bow front tank..one filter, heater natural rocks/pet store rocks..i need to know how to maintain for peacock bass?? as of how ofter to change water,what to feed them and how ofter and what kind of lighting..i'm also on a budget..thing is lower the cost to put into the tank better..i will be upgrading this tank to a bigger one in a few months..i've got 3 baby peacock bass..all advice and info welcome thank you..
Is it already cycled?As far as Water changes with fry 25% a week with 72 gal and three fry would be fine you don't want to over do it with fry.Heat 89 degrees .Lighting T-5 or i have seen a few LED.lights that are reasonable and really nice better than t-5 in my opinion.Food cheaper and better are dry like hikari and Extreme products for staple and Tilapia fillet chopped finely and lastly shrimp for color any kind!!!!:DGood luck!!

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
with high temp you'll also need lots of airation. so a pump w/ airstone is a must. If they are only eating live try frzn blood worms. After they eat that start crushing pellets into the blood worms and eventually they'll be eatn pellets.

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
HULON;4276893; said:
Is it already cycled?As far as Water changes with fry 25% a week with 72 gal and three fry would be fine you don't want to over do it with fry.Heat 89 degrees .Lighting T-5 or i have seen a few LED.lights that are reasonable and really nice better than t-5 in my opinion.Food cheaper and better are dry like hikari and Extreme products for staple and Tilapia fillet chopped finely and lastly shrimp for color any kind!!!!:DGood luck!!

yeah its cycled..had it runnin for a week before i got the peacocks..i got a heater in there now that only keeps the water temp between 75 to 80..should i get a new heater with more adjustable heat? my bass are from 2 inches mayb more and the biggest one is 4 minches mayb..what should i do as chemical values?? i put tap water in my tank but put a chemical in the water to kill metals etc thats in tap water and they seem to be doing fine..thats my plan as far as food..when is it best to feed them kril frozen bloodworms etc?? sorry about all the questions..i want to kno all i can so i can raise these beautiful fish for along time..i'll start cycling the water on monday..now as far as lighting, do i keep lights on 24/7 or just during the day?

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
gangster;4276923; said:
with high temp you'll also need lots of airation. so a pump w/ airstone is a must. If they are only eating live try frzn blood worms. After they eat that start crushing pellets into the blood worms and eventually they'll be eatn pellets.

yeah i got i believe they are 10-12 inch airstones in the tank..should i add another filter to the tank to keep it extra clean??

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
bassinmike85;4277009; said:
yeah its cycled..had it runnin for a week before i got the peacocks..i got a heater in there now that only keeps the water temp between 75 to 80..should i get a new heater with more adjustable heat? my bass are from 2 inches mayb more and the biggest one is 4 minches mayb..what should i do as chemical values?? i put tap water in my tank but put a chemical in the water to kill metals etc thats in tap water and they seem to be doing fine..thats my plan as far as food..when is it best to feed them kril frozen bloodworms etc?? sorry about all the questions..i want to kno all i can so i can raise these beautiful fish for along time..i'll start cycling the water on monday..now as far as lighting, do i keep lights on 24/7 or just during the day?
I think you need to crank that temp up to 88-90. You wouldn't want those little fellows getting ich. I also question if your filter is cycled, after running only a week. What kind of filter do you have? Did you have it running with fish prior to getting the pbass? Did you do a fishless cycle? If the answer is no to either, I doubt it is cycled. Turn you lights off at night. If you leave them on 24/7, you could stress your fish. They need rest too.

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
hillbilly;4277799; said:
I think you need to crank that temp up to 88-90. You wouldn't want those little fellows getting ich. I also question if your filter is cycled, after running only a week. What kind of filter do you have? Did you have it running with fish prior to getting the pbass? Did you do a fishless cycle? If the answer is no to either, I doubt it is cycled. Turn you lights off at night. If you leave them on 24/7, you could stress your fish. They need rest too.

my filter is the tetra whisper ex..i ran it a week with the filter and heat in it..after the week i put feeder fish inside of it..after a week with feeders in it with no deaths etc..i went and got the peacock bass..i'ma buy a new heater this thursday..any specific one i should get??

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
bassinmike85;4277936; said:
my filter is the tetra whisper ex..i ran it a week with the filter and heat in it..after the week i put feeder fish inside of it..after a week with feeders in it with no deaths etc..i went and got the peacock bass..i'ma buy a new heater this thursday..any specific one i should get??
Without a test kit that checks for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, it's difficult to say if your filter is cycled or not. If on your test kit, you are showing any ammonia or nitrite, then you are not cycled. Showing nitrate only indicates you are cycled. Be careful with ammonia and nitrite and fish. They can burn fish's gills, and even cause death. I'm not familiar with your particular filter, but IMO any filter that uses cartridges suck. The reason is when you change cartridges, you lose what "good" bacteria you have in the cartridge. I would recommend you only rinse the cartridge in tank water, instead of replacing it. I recommend and only use Eheim Jager heaters. Some people will say this brand or that brand has kept my tank at this temp. for 6 months or 2 years, and that's fine. I have Jager heaters that are 20 years old, and still running on discus tanks. That's REAL quality. I would go with a Jager 250 watt. This heater would be very versatile. You could use it with on a larger tank in the future. Unlike other heaters, they can be calibrated. It's very easy to do, just follow the directions. Be sure to do this. It will insure the heater is working correctly.

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
hillbilly;4278046; said:
Without a test kit that checks for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, it's difficult to say if your filter is cycled or not. If on your test kit, you are showing any ammonia or nitrite, then you are not cycled. Showing nitrate only indicates you are cycled. Be careful with ammonia and nitrite and fish. They can burn fish's gills, and even cause death. I'm not familiar with your particular filter, but IMO any filter that uses cartridges suck. The reason is when you change cartridges, you lose what "good" bacteria you have in the cartridge. I would recommend you only rinse the cartridge in tank water, instead of replacing it. I recommend and only use Eheim Jager heaters. Some people will say this brand or that brand has kept my tank at this temp. for 6 months or 2 years, and that's fine. I have Jager heaters that are 20 years old, and still running on discus tanks. That's REAL quality. I would go with a Jager 250 watt. This heater would be very versatile. You could use it with on a larger tank in the future. Unlike other heaters, they can be calibrated. It's very easy to do, just follow the directions. Be sure to do this. It will insure the heater is working correctly.

dude no joke i just went and bought that exact heater you mentioned..as for the test kit i'll buy one first thing thursday morning after i cash my check..what would you suggest for filtration? feel free to tell me what exactly i need/to do..if needed i can post pics of my tank to give you more of an idea what i have..

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
bassinmike85;4278216; said:
dude no joke i just went and bought that exact heater you mentioned..as for the test kit i'll buy one first thing thursday morning after i cash my check..what would you suggest for filtration? feel free to tell me what exactly i need/to do..if needed i can post pics of my tank to give you more of an idea what i have..
You may be OK will filtration for now, as you'll have to upgrade tanks anyway. For a bit of extra, you could get a couple of Hydro-Sponge III filters with an air stone in each, hooked to an air pump. It'll give a lot more bio, after they have cycled for a while of course. Be sure to run them along with your other filter to help seed them. The great thing about these filters is that they are simple, dirt cheap, and do a great job.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store