My Bass Just Aren't Growing

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
I'm at a loss. I've tried keeping them stocked with goldfish and tried getting them on other food and they're still small. I've had them for almost 2 years and they're still less than 6 inches (2 kelberi and 1 azul). They kelberi will eat shrimp, but the azul just spits it out. Is my best bet to starve them and get them acceptive massivore or what? I also have and ocel that won't eat anything but live, but I'm not as concerned. My orinos grew a lot faster than these guys. I should probably do more water changes, but I generally do 50% every week. They're in a 75 with a 10" black arowana. I'm wondering if I should get them off live completely first or throw them in with the orinos and then do it. The smaller orino eats pellets, but the larger one will only eat shrimp.

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
pwmin;4304206; said:
I'm at a loss. I've tried keeping them stocked with goldfish and tried getting them on other food and they're still small. I've had them for almost 2 years and they're still less than 6 inches (2 kelberi and 1 azul). They kelberi will eat shrimp, but the azul just spits it out. Is my best bet to starve them and get them acceptive massivore or what? I also have and ocel that won't eat anything but live, but I'm not as concerned. My orinos grew a lot faster than these guys. I should probably do more water changes, but I generally do 50% every week. They're in a 75 with a 10" black arowana. I'm wondering if I should get them off live completely first or throw them in with the orinos and then do it. The smaller orino eats pellets, but the larger one will only eat shrimp.
Just a thought but do you feed your feeders Hikari gold?and then gut fill the feeders right before feeding time with Massivore:naughty:Then after they have put a few inches on switch to prepared...Also thinking about it with them being in a 75 probly slows growth also...

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
HULON;4304320; said:
Just a thought but do you feed your feeders Hikari gold?and then gut fill the feeders right before feeding time with Massivore:naughty:Then after they have put a few inches on switch to prepared...Also thinking about it with them being in a 75 probly slows growth also...
no gut-loading. i think since they're off of live somewhat I should go with that. i'll have to try the pellet-stuffing shrimp trick w/ some cut-up massivore. i would love to put the black aro in the 300, but it doesn't get much food w/ the p-bass in there

]V[onster Fish;4304543; said:
how many fish in 75gals?
5 total.

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
Do they eat freeze dried krill?Over 60% protien:D

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
HULON;4304666; said:
Do they eat freeze dried krill?Over 60% protien:D
not sure that i've really tried it. the orinos don't care for it. i have some, so i'll try it, but i thought it was more good for color and not sustinence
Angler;4304676; said:
Have you thought about the possibility of IPs?
IPs?

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
pwmin;4304828; said:
not sure that i've really tried it. the orinos don't care for it. i have some, so i'll try it, but i thought it was more good for color and not sustinence
IPs?
I was thinking with tilapia filet that kind of protien would have to boost growth could be wrong..It is great for color also tho...

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
woot woot! the zullie actually swallowed the shrimp pieces this time and ate at least one whole shrimp. As soon as I have time to watch the tanks more, I'm going to try and put all the bass and the black aro in the 300 and get the other cichlids out so it'll only be bala sharks, p-bass, aro and flagtail. The orinos eat a lot more than the others, but I'm sure they'll catch up, I just need to feed them more at a time and make sure the smaller ones are getting enough. I'm tired of feeding the little ones feeders, anyway. The orinos could use a good bit of growing, too. Hopefully they'll all catch on and eat pellets like the smaller orino and the pinima. I just hope the pinima doesn't grow too fast with the extra food. Alright, I think I'm finished with my novel...

HULON;4304864; said:
I was thinking with tilapia filet that kind of protien would have to boost growth could be wrong..It is great for color also tho...
I'll try it. I used to feed it quite a bit, but haven't been lately.

Angler;4304892; said:
Internal parasites
I'm positive that's not the problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store