how can i get my pbass off live food?

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
i got 6 pbass ranging from 1 inch to 3 inches..they ate a massive amount of white clouds today..they been eating frozen blood works but nothing nothing..any advice? and i dont keep my tanked stocked of guppies due to nitrate problems which is under control now..

SnaKeheAdSrAwSomE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2008
wherever god takes me LOL
honestly, just starve them for like a day or something.
mine just ate bloodworms from day one aha.
if you don't mind me asking, what temp are you keeping your pbass at?
I'm kind of new to them. any advice will be appreciated.

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
i'm new too so that makes two of us..my temp 85-89..they bellys full now i'm not going to feed them from now until thursday..

switch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Toronto, ON.
If their accepting bloodworms, just keep feeding them that. You can also crush up some pellets with the bloodworms so that they can become accustomed to the taste of pellets. If they won't accept non-live food, don't worry too much because at their size they need all the food they can get. Hope it helps.

biohazardcustomz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
illinois
switch;4305033; said:
If their accepting bloodworms, just keep feeding them that. You can also crush up some pellets with the bloodworms so that they can become accustomed to the taste of pellets. If they won't accept non-live food, don't worry too much because at their size they need all the food they can get. Hope it helps.

i agree. and i wouldnt starve them till thursday. i would say like a day at most. they are young i presume? baby fish need food and alot more often than full grown fish. i feed my adult fish 2 times a day my babies more like 4. of course they dont eat as much but they need the food to grow. introduce things like frozen food. shrimp, krill, bloodworms, etc. petsmart has it. thats an easy way to get them off live food because it tastes way better. then they will start going after flake and pellets and such.

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
switch;4305033; said:
I agree. If they won't accept anything else, get some size on them in the way switch suggests. Once they get bigger, use this method:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33661

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
thx everyone for your input..i am going to buy frozen krill,frozen shrimp tomorrow morning..is there any certain pellets i should buy?

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
biohazardcustomz;4305050; said:
i agree. and i wouldnt starve them till thursday. i would say like a day at most. they are young i presume? baby fish need food and alot more often than full grown fish. i feed my adult fish 2 times a day my babies more like 4. of course they dont eat as much but they need the food to grow. introduce things like frozen food. shrimp, krill, bloodworms, etc. petsmart has it. thats an easy way to get them off live food because it tastes way better. then they will start going after flake and pellets and such.
I agree. It's not good practice to starve young fish at that size. Small fish like yours need to consume their body weight in food every day to grow properly. This is the most critical time in their lives. If they don't have clean water, and the proper amount of food, they may never grow to reach their full potential. This is the likely explanation of people who ask,"my fish are 2 years old, and have not grown past 12", why? So, my advice is to give your little ones as much as they will eat every day until they get some size on them, then you can worry about getting them off live food. Of course, you can always offer other foods along they way, just don't starve them. Remember, no one ever said this hobby was cheap.

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
so i can keep feeding them guppies until they are little bit bigger?? i feed them guppies in the morning at 9am frozen blood worms at 1pm and guppies at 830pm..cuz i turn the lights on between 8-9am and turn them off between 9-930pm..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store