quick question about peacock bass tank..

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
as you kno i have a 72 gallon bow front..i want to redo the whole inside of my tank..want to add all black gravel and plants..but my question is, when i take the peacock bass out and put them in a holding tank should i put in new water or fill the holding tank with the water from the tank thier in originally??

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
How big are the bass?

I would use all water from the original tank, especially if they are still small.

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
You seem to be worrying about the wrong things. You are wasting your time and money redoing a temporary grow out tank. Those fish will need a bigger tank by the time winter rolls around at the most. I would be using my time and money putting together a proper tank for them. You should have one put together, cycled, and ready to go by the time you need it. It will take you 4 to 6 weeks just to cycle your filters properly. Don't make the mistake of putting your fish in a tank at the last minute, and try to cycle it as an afterthought. Your fish will suffer, and it could even kill them.

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
hillbilly;4307629; said:
You seem to be worrying about the wrong things. You are wasting your time and money redoing a temporary grow out tank. Those fish will need a bigger tank by the time winter rolls around at the most. I would be using my time and money putting together a proper tank for them. You should have one put together, cycled, and ready to go by the time you need it. It will take you 4 to 6 weeks just to cycle your filters properly. Don't make the mistake of putting your fish in a tank at the last minute, and try to cycle it as an afterthought. Your fish will suffer, and it could even kill them.
If he uses his established filters from his current tank there is no need to cycle

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
Bennlfer;4307858; said:
If he uses his established filters from his current tank there is no need to cycle
No way a hob filter from a 72 gal. tank can handle the load of a tank 2 to 3 times larger. Sure, you can use it to help seed the new filters, but don't count on not having to cycle the larger tank. You would still likely get an ammonia spike. I don't no about you, but personally, I don't want ammonia in my tanks that have fish in them.

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
hillbilly;4309725; said:
No way a hob filter from a 72 gal. tank can handle the load of a tank 2 to 3 times larger. Sure, you can use it to help seed the new filters, but don't count on not having to cycle the larger tank. You would still likely get an ammonia spike. I don't no about you, but personally, I don't want ammonia in my tanks that have fish in them.
Thats true if he did go with a much bigger tank (which he would need for full grown pbass) then it would not be enough.. Thanks for your correction.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store