125 gallon with PBASS

lpenn31

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2010
New Jersey
Yes, i did make a thread awhile ago asking if i can have Pbass in a 125 gallon tank. I had mixed comments. if i do have poss 2 peacocks what other fish will fit

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
Not for life. You have to understand that a 125 is not wide enough to comfortably house adult fish that are longer than the tank is wide. Also, adding other fish with your cichla is only going to increase your bio load on the already smallish tank. This means bigger and more frequent water changes to keep dissolved organics and nitrates under control. Water quality is very important to keep stress levels down, and diseases like HITH in check. From what I have read on the forums, it is my opinion that a large percentage of people who keep cichla don't do enough, nor large enough water changes to keep their water in pristine condition. Clean water at all times is way more important in Amazonian type tanks than most people seem to realize. They don't seem to realize this fact because cichla are fairly hardy, and don't die easily from dirty water. If you threw some water quality sensitive fish like wild discus in their tanks however, they would have all kinds of problems right away, and discover just how bad their water quality really was. It's the unseen contaminants that you don't test for that can stress your fish the most, and stress leads to other problems. It's a snowball effect, and the cause of a lot of unexplained deaths in fish.

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
If the two bass you have are Mono's, Orinos or Azul or any other breed, they don't grow that fast and will be fine for a while, but if there Tem's, they seem to grow daily, thats only my opinion, and i'm legally allowed to have one, at least for now....Good luck.

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
i'm gettin a 100 gallon with 4 pbass rangin 8-12 inches..everyones diffrent though..someone i know paired up tems n they breeded in a 100 gallon tank recently..they eggs hatched etc..but to me 100 gallons is fine..thats just my in put..

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
bassinmike85;4314497; said:
i'm gettin a 100 gallon with 4 pbass rangin 8-12 inches..everyones diffrent though..someone i know paired up tems n they breeded in a 100 gallon tank recently..they eggs hatched etc..but to me 100 gallons is fine..thats just my in put..
You're kidding, right?

jimmie1974

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2008
New Jersey
125 is fine for awhile, I have mine in a 125 as well. LIke it was said, if your pbass get around 12" and theres more then two, you may want to consider upgrading to a 180 which is 2' wide. In most cases, owners dont keep there pbass at that size because they either get tiresome of there fish and want newer types, like myself. But you'll be fine for awhile, at least 1 1/2 yrs, possibly more. But if you plan on keeping them for the life of them, you will definetly need to upgrade. Hope this helps.

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
lpenn31;4314362; said:
Yes, i did make a thread awhile ago asking if i can have Pbass in a 125 gallon tank. I had mixed comments. if i do have poss 2 peacocks what other fish will fit
A 125 would work for quite awhile for either orinos or kelberis but tems wouldnt work....a 125 IMHO can house an orino or two for a very long time.....u could maybe put some silver dollars, bichirs, datnoids, etc.....but ur tank would definitely require a w/d sump and a canister for some added mehanical filtration...but if u could get a 180 that would be even better

Makoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2009
SoCal
I also too had the same question when I purchased 6 Ocells. I have had them in a 100 gallon tank for over a year now and I have not had a problem at all with them. They range fro 8" to 12". Seems like when the big one hit 12" he just stop growing. I heard many stories that these fish are tankbusters. I am not saying that they aren't but with my personal situation I have not had one problem. Keeping them in a 100g or 125g tank you will defiantly not be able to see them grow to their full capabilities and I agree with the above about filtration. I have 2 330 Penguin's running and a Fluval 404.

Check em out
[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0yAxfP297IM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0yAxfP297IM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
Makoa;4314725; said:
I also too had the same question when I purchased 6 Ocells. I have had them in a 100 gallon tank for over a year now and I have not had a problem at all with them. They range fro 8" to 12". Seems like when the big one hit 12" he just stop growing. I heard many stories that these fish are tankbusters. I am not saying that they aren't but with my personal situation I have not had one problem. Keeping them in a 100g or 125g tank you will defiantly not be able to see them grow to their full capabilities and I agree with the above about filtration. I have 2 330 Penguin's running and a Fluval 404.

Check em out
[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0yAxfP297IM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0yAxfP297IM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]
Don't you wonder why your fish seem to have stopped growing? It comes down to water quality. It really doesn't matter what kind, or how many filters you are running, that can never make up for the fact that you only have 100 gals. of water in your tank. Large fish will foul such a small volume of water fairly quickly, less than a day, even though a hobby test kit will show that your water is "perfect". Unless you are doing daily, or every other day water changes, which almost no one does, you don't have optimum water conditions in that small of a tank. It's just simple science. Larger tanks hold larger volumes of water, which dilute pollutants, and keep your water cleaner longer. Many people assume their fish are fine because they are alive and eating, and their cheap $25 test kits tell them their water is fine. In fact, their fish may be under stress that inhibits growth, reduces color, and shortens the fish's lifespan. A lot of people never learn this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store