Temensis, Azuls and Piquiti

Anton

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2004
Manila, Philippines
Hi guys!

Just wanted to clarify something. Azuls are blue temensis right? Are Piquitis a color vatiety of a Temensis too or are they an entirely different species? If they're both Temensis, what's the difference between an Azul and a Piquiti.

Thanks for clarifying things for me.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
They are their own species. Cichla Temensis and Cichla Piquiti (aka Cichla Azul) are different sub species of Cichla. Temensis have 3 black vertical bars, Azuls (Piquiti) have 5 black vertical bars, don't get as large as true temensis, and have the bluish gold coloration not found on temensis.

Reactions: Prince98

Anton

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2004
Manila, Philippines
Now I get it. Cichla Piquiti and Azul are one and the same. Is there a real difference between the two collection points?

Thanks for the clarification.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There are at least two different collection points for the Azul.Sao Francisco being one where the zuls are said to have a very intense blue coloring.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
amazonfishman;4328902; said:
Rio Araguaia is another collection point for Cichla Piquiti as well as Tocantins
That's the other name that I could'nt remember.I was'nt sure if they were found in Tocantins.

apriliarider15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Utah
Those are just rivers not actually collection point. Fish from different areas in each river can look quite different from each other.

Anton

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2004
Manila, Philippines
I'm learning a lot and fast from you guys! Thanks!

If someone posts a picture of an azul, can you guys determine if it's from Sao Francisco, Tocantins or Araguaia?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store