Albino Ancistrus "Bushy Nose Pleco" ?s

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
hey guys I recently (well today) got one of these. hes Tiny but seems to be doing well in my 75 with my other bushynose.

anyone got any info that I should know bout them?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
um well theres about 55+ ancistrus sp. so....
in general they are quite small, there are many that dont get bigger than 3-4" but there are a few that reach nearer the 9" mark. in general they are probably one of the best algae eating fish spp there is. Ancistrus cirrhosus is the most available tank bred bristlenose and is often sold as the common bristlenose. they are really easy to breed, ones with bristles are males and ones with none or not many are females, just give them a cave to spawn in. feed pretty much anything, vegetables like cucumber, potatoe, fruits like mango and kiwi, meats like bloodworms prawns and accept pellets etc but are mainly veggetarians. also need bogwood really. they like strongish currents and lots of oxygen. the albino they arent really sure which bristlenose sp. they have developed as the "common" albino form. there is also L144 which is sometimes sold as an albino because its apparent lack of colouration, but has not got the red eyes of an albino. basically males (esp. when mature) dont get a long at all with their own sp. but as long as their are enough hiding places/spawning territories, they should be fine (but no guarentees, sometimes a stronger male will actively hunt down the weeker). The common albino and L144 gets between 4-5". heres an adult of planetcatfish with an awesome set of bristles!

030.jpg

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
sorry didnt realise you kept ancistrus before, my bad if it sounds condesending but hopefully bits helped anyway :thumbsup:

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
luv the pic!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store