PDA

View Full Version : controlling smell in turtle tanks

djb
07-31-2010, 9:34 AM
alright my sister has 4 red ear sliding turtles and she cleans the water everyother day an the filter just about every day she has an ac filter and the smell gets really bad and she dosnt want to get ride of them because she bought them from a flee market an they all were realy sick an she ended up saveing there lives so she kind of atatched to them so whats the best way for getting ride of the smell

krzr3000
07-31-2010, 11:56 AM
How big are they/what size tank? Sounds like it might not be big enough if water changes that often aren't fixing the smell. water fouling too fast

HerpHunter77
07-31-2010, 1:02 PM
my tanks alway smell even though i have a fluval 204 filter. :/ ?

snakeguy101
07-31-2010, 1:54 PM
With turtles it is best to get a filter that is rated twice the size of the tank per turtle in the tank. For example, if there is one turtle in a 55 gallon tank, get a filter rated around 110 gallons, if you add another turtle in there, get a filter rated for around 220 gallons, etc... This is my rule of thumb and it is a little excessive but trust me it will keep the smell non existent.

HerpHunter77
07-31-2010, 1:58 PM
With turtles it is best to get a filter that is rated twice the size of the tank per turtle in the tank. For example, if there is one turtle in a 55 gallon tank, get a filter rated around 110 gallons, if you add another turtle in there, get a filter rated for around 220 gallons, etc... This is my rule of thumb and it is a little excessive but trust me it will keep the smell non existent.
my filter is BIG. it was used for a pond before i used it for my turtle tank

GhostShrimpMan
07-31-2010, 1:58 PM

:iagree:

Citrinellus
07-31-2010, 2:01 PM

Whats the gallon per hour rating?

knifegill
07-31-2010, 2:03 PM
If you cycle the turtle tank, the smell ought to go away. Get a test kit and check the water parameters. There should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes, and nitrAtes will vary wildly in a turtle tank.

One HOB will not be enough. I had one painted terrapin in a 210 gallon with minimal filtration and there just wasn't enough media surface area to handle the waste level of him. This was back when I was a n00b, so I ended up giving the turtle away in frustration. These days, I would simply add more filters, try to build a sump, etc. Turtles make so much ammonia that fish calculations will fail you. Think of one turtle as 50 gallons worth of pollution on average.

krzr3000
07-31-2010, 7:51 PM

But aren't you the one with 10 turtles in the tank? Or was that someone else...?

rrcoolj
07-31-2010, 8:50 PM
Either way I believe the tank will smell to some extent. Turtles are messy creatures. When I had mine no matter how clear the water was it always had a little smell.

barracuda123
07-31-2010, 8:53 PM
But aren't you the one with 10 turtles in the tank? Or was that someone else...?

21 turtles, look in the signature :ROFL:

coreyweinkoetz
08-01-2010, 2:37 AM
my tanks alway smell even though i have a fluval 204 filter. :/ ?
this is to small try an FX5 and fill the three trays with carbon that should take care of your 21 turtles and try feeding them somthing different

CTU2fan
08-01-2010, 4:48 PM
Really depends on the size of the tank, filter, and turtles...until we know that we're all guessing. Considering these are RES in the end she will need probably something like a 300G at least, with multiple large filters (I would guess 2 fx5 and a large sump would work).

Other than that...what's the smell? If you smell ammonia the tank isn't cycled, otherwise carbon in the filter can help. But if she's needing to clean it daily the tank and filter are likely too small. For reference I have a YBS and common map turt in a 75G with a Fluval 404, no smell (other than just the watery smell like what you get from a normal aquarium), and I never have to do a complete cleaning, just weekly w/c's like with my fish and clean the mechanical media monthly.

krzr3000
08-01-2010, 5:36 PM
I have an eastern painted in a 50g tub with a fluval 4plus. Its not overfiltered but I do 100% water change weekly. If I let it go more than a week it starts to smell.

mbeatrice
08-01-2010, 9:30 PM
yea she only has a 40 gallon breeder for them i know its small but she dosnt want to just give them away to just any1 we tried the bass pro shop they had to many and wouldnt take them i was thinking of telling her top get a canister filter an just load it up wit carbin and have a power filter to thelp take out the skind an other garbage thanx for the help guys

turtlesrock
08-04-2010, 2:47 PM
she needs a bigger tank. get a pond tub. at least 200 gallons. build a diy sump for it and have at least a 10x turnover. this project should cost around 400-500 bucks.

epond83
08-04-2010, 6:14 PM
I have a 8" RES and agree with every one here. They are messy so: Bigger tank for sure, bigger filter (make sure the tank is cycled).

Chrisplosion
08-04-2010, 6:19 PM
If you cycle the tank like you would a fish tank, it really helps with the smell. So does moving water. If you clean 100% at once though it makes it pointless.