pellets for you cichlas

revival

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
In a dream
For those of you that have your cichlas on pellets, what kind of pellets are you giving them???

Currently the only thing my cichlas (2.5"- 3.5") will eat is Omega one FD bloodworms. Ive experimented and tried:

Cichlid Gold - ignored
Massivore - ignored
Krill (frozen) - ignored
FD Krill (omega one) - tried but spit it back out
Tubifex Worms (omega one) - laughed at it
FD Shrimp (omega one) - tried but spit it back out
FD Brine shirmp (omega one) - ignored
Bloodworms (frozen) - used to eat it but now spit it back out
Brine shrimp (frozen) - ignored

I would like to give them the FD blood worms as more of a treat and try and get them on some pellets so im just wondering for those of you that have your cichlas on pellets what kind are you giving them?

Thanks in advance

thaos95

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
wisconsin
mine are taking hikari food sticks

sazhar

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2009
Yorkville, IL
Mine eat Cichlid gold and Cichlid staple alternating each day.

To get cichla switched over to pellets from bloodworms, I utilize their natural instincts to get them to eat the pellets. The first thing I did was get some Tinfoil Barbs (or any other Dither fish) that would compete with my cichla for food. Then I only put a few bloodworms in at a time when I fed them. This caused my cichla to compete with the tinfoil barbs for the little food that was available. After a week they would come to the top of the water and hit the blood worms as soon as they would touch the water. Once they were feedind this way I started throwing in some small pellets along with the bloodworms. Then I gradually phase out the bloodworms and just fed them the pellets. The entire process took me a month.

revival

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
In a dream
thaos95;4340280; said:
mine are taking hikari food sticks
i actually forgot to add this to the list...they ignored it

sazhar;4341148; said:
Mine eat Cichlid gold and Cichlid staple alternating each day.

To get cichla switched over to pellets from bloodworms, I utilize their natural instincts to get them to eat the pellets. The first thing I did was get some Tinfoil Barbs (or any other Dither fish) that would compete with my cichla for food. Then I only put a few bloodworms in at a time when I fed them. This caused my cichla to compete with the tinfoil barbs for the little food that was available. After a week they would come to the top of the water and hit the blood worms as soon as they would touch the water. Once they were feedind this way I started throwing in some small pellets along with the bloodworms. Then I gradually phase out the bloodworms and just fed them the pellets. The entire process took me a month.
I have 2 tetras in there that eat anything i throw in there. I like the idea of adding less food in there to compete.

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
Throw small pellets in with the FD Bloodworms and they will slowly start to take them.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
^^^^x2

I used to crush pellets into the frozen blood worms and fed my orino's by spoon. They would come up; and hammer the spoon. I just kept adding more crushed pellets to the mix. And eventually they were eating pellets. ONe pellet that worked good for me was good ol messy tetra jumbo stix.

revival

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
In a dream
Mixed in some crushed hikari stick with the FD blood worms...then sprinkled pinches at a time at it worked for the most part. They hit every bloodworm and got in some pellets too, but not all. But its progress and happy about it. Appreciate the advice guys.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Starve them a few days then put Hikari stix pellets in front of the powerhead so that the current and push the pellets. This will stimulate the cichla to chase after it.

stevenrox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
I AM LEGEND!
gangster;4343584; said:
^^^^x2

I used to crush pellets into the frozen blood worms and fed my orino's by spoon. They would come up; and hammer the spoon. I just kept adding more crushed pellets to the mix. And eventually they were eating pellets. ONe pellet that worked good for me was good ol messy tetra jumbo stix.
hehe sounds familiar!!!!:ROFL:

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
Starve the little bastards, just kidding ha ha. My Ocell went six weeks without eating, before he converted to FD Krill.......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store