How long does it take a UV sterilizer to clear an algae bloom?

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
I was just wondering if anyone know how long does it take for a uv sterilizer to clear an algae bloom.

Now, keep in mind that I have a vad algae bloom. Water is green and you can't really see from one side of the tank to the other unless you are looking against a light source. I have a 180 gallon tank and a Via Aqua 15W UV.

How long do you think it would take to clear it? I've had the UV set up for about 4 days and I would say the clarity effect is still negligible.

Dragon Hunter

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
lalaland
should of been cleared by now or at least minimized. is it a new bulb? sure its floating algae? what kind or pump are u using with the UV?

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
Is there a light informing you of the bulbs validity? Could be the bulb. Are you keeping the lights off ? Check the pre-filter at the intake of the UV. Make sure there is good output at the discharge end of the UV. Other than that, I have no clue. Hopefully someone else may have a clue.

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
I have the UV connected to the output of my FX5. The green light shows that the bulb is on but if its working, I don't know. My lights are on although I minimized it from 10 to 6 hours.

Dragon Hunter

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
lalaland
arkmann;4344517; said:
I have the UV connected to the output of my FX5. The green light shows that the bulb is on but if its working, I don't know. My lights are on although I minimized it from 10 to 6 hours.
i would say your FX5's flow is too strong. u need to get a small powerhead to run the UV.

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
What flow rate should be less enough? Should a Quiteone 4000HH be enough or its still too much flow? I guess I can't have the UV running 24/7 then...

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
Does anyone run one off of an XP3? I wanted to get a UV sterilizer for my 125 and run it off my XP3. (sorry for the thread hijack.)

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
No problem. We got similar questions.

PostalPenguin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2010
Denver CO
I would aim for no more than 300gph through that UV sterilizer. If you want to control ich and other parasites you will need no more than 150gph. Also it will help to put some fine filter floss before the UV since the clearer the water the more damage the UV light can do to the undesired organisms.

You can do this with a separate pump or by diverting just a portion of the FX5 output into the UV.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store