Eheim 2260 Media

Buc_Nasty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
California
First of all, what is the best arrangement of media and what media should I use for my 2260 on a 125 gallon tank?

Second of all, has anyone noticed that the 2260 instruction manual says to put the media in this order from bottom to top: ehfimech -> efisubstrat -> ehfifix (AKA big mechanical hollow cylinder things -> bioballs -> green floss stuff)?

With this recommended setup, all the crap gets stuck in the ehfisubstrat pro bio media, and the floss is completely clean. Also, they dont say to use any type of really fine polishing pad or anything.

-When I first got the filter it came with leftover carbon from the previous owner and I ran only that and the ehfimech for about a month and my water was super crystal clear. Then I found a good deal on substratpro and fix, followed the manual and put mech then substratpro then fix from bottom up, and my water is not very clear at all.

I'd like to avoid charcoal because it has to be replaced, but I'm wondering if thats the only way to fix my hard tap water that has a lot of iron in it...

What have people found to be the optimum arrangement?

star_fire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2010
a cave
well i have the 2250. i put 5 liters of eheim mech on the bottom and it collects all the debris, no problem. the media i have on top, bio-bale, does a great of keeping my tank params stable. it gets a little dirty, but that's like no big deal since i clean it once a every 3-6 months. i just wash it in the water from a water change, fluff it back up, and put it back into circulation.

i use bags from the supermarket, lime or lemon ones are awesome, to hold the eheim mech for easy cleaning.
so basically the arrangement is:
5 liters eheim mech at bottom, 1 bag of bio-bale, and a small bag of bio-max at the top.

works good for me.

i don't use charcoal since small shards sometimes break off while i am filling the bag w/ new carbon. those shards go through the slits in the bag and could go into the water pump, causing damage. so i don't use carbon.

hope that helps you.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I have 3 Eheim 2260's and while I use different media in them, they are basically set up the same.

Bottom layer= Ehfi Mech (hollow cylinders), about 2 to 3 inches thick. This product traps the larger particles so I do not put it in a media bag.

2nd layer= Ehfi Fix (green Easter grass), about 2 to 3 inches thick. I don't care for the Ehfi Fix so I use a coarse foam, 2" thick, that is 10 PPI (Pores Per Inch) called Poret. I cut it to fit the canister.

3rd layer= Another piece of Poret foam, 2" thick, that is 20 PPI, cut to fit the canister.

4th layer= Approximately a 1" thick layer of Poly-fil brand traditional batting OR Soft n Crafty brand Premium Densified Batting OR filter floss.

5th layer= Ehfi Substrat Pro OR Ehfi Substrat OR Seachem Pond Matrix Or mini bio-balls. I put the bio media into a large media bag to make it easier to remove when doing filter maintenance.

There are so many different ways to set up the 2260 filter. Just remember that the coarse mechanical layer is the First layer in the bottom of the filter. The 2nd/3rd layers should be a medium mechanical layer. The final layer should be your bio media.

The layer thicknesses I suggested are approximate. You DO NOT want to fill the canister so full of media that you have to jam the media down to get the lid on the canister. You could potentially break the small legs on the lattice screens.

I also suggest having the bio media as the last layer in the filter before putting the top lattice screen in place. This will help to keep any filter floss or poly-fill material from getting sucked up into the pump.

You can also use the Search button & look for Eheim 2260. There have been quite a few threads on what type of media to use.

Buc_Nasty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
California
Deeda does that setup get your water super ridiculously crystal clear like some of these pictures I see? I'll settle for nothing less :) but I'm not quite there yet.

I have a 125 gallon tank with basically an eheim 2262 (I manually upgraded the pump to 950gph and put another doubletap on...saved lots of $$$). I've only had it for about a month so I dont have all the media yet. I have the mech, then substratpro, then fix, and I'm thinking of getting some Poret foam since you can reuse it. However its not exactly cheap and I don't want to get it unless you can confirm you got your water absurdly clear with it.

Also I was a little confused.. when you said: "2nd layer= Ehfi Fix (green Easter grass), about 2 to 3 inches thick. I don't care for the Ehfi Fix so I use a coarse foam, 2" thick, that is 10 PPI (Pores Per Inch) called Poret. I cut it to fit the canister."
Does that mean you dont use the fix or do you use fix AND the poret foam?

And one more thing haha...the poly fil or soft n crafty... you literally use pillow stuffing? I've been reading a million posts on a million sites and can't decide between the filter felt, polyfilter pads, eheim filter pads, micron pads, ehfisynth, or just plain pillow stuffing

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Personally I don't run my big eheims as mech filters at all. My 2262 has 4" of ehfimech, and then the rest is ehfi substrat pro. I use HOB filters to do all my mechanical filtration, as it is easier to access and clean.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Buc_Nasty;4349586; said:
Deeda does that setup get your water super ridiculously crystal clear like some of these pictures I see?
I wouldn't say it is ridiculously clear but it is clear enough for me.

I have a 125 gallon tank with basically an eheim 2262 (I manually upgraded the pump to 950gph and put another doubletap on...saved lots of $$$).
I did upgrade my 1st 2260 to a 2262 the same way and am pleased with it.
I'm thinking of getting some Poret foam since you can reuse it. However its not exactly cheap and I don't want to get it unless you can confirm you got your water absurdly clear with it.
I can't confirm that the Poret increased my water clarity but it does collect a large amount of dirt, is easily cut to size and is reusable.

Also I was a little confused.. when you said: "2nd layer= Ehfi Fix (green Easter grass), about 2 to 3 inches thick. I don't care for the Ehfi Fix so I use a coarse foam, 2" thick, that is 10 PPI (Pores Per Inch) called Poret. I cut it to fit the canister."
Does that mean you dont use the fix or do you use fix AND the poret foam?
Only 1 of my 2260's has the Ehfifix in it & I'm not sure which one has it. I don't personally see how the Ehfifix would trap any fine debris at all due to its structure.
And one more thing haha...the poly fil or soft n crafty... you literally use pillow stuffing? I've been reading a million posts on a million sites and can't decide between the filter felt, polyfilter pads, eheim filter pads, micron pads, Ehfisynth, or just plain pillow stuffing
Yes, literally 100% polyester pillow stuffing though you do have to be careful which product you choose. There have been quite a few posts regarding whether the product is safe or not and of course, no manufacturers' will admit their product is safe for aquarium use. I have had good results using the brand Poly-fil Traditional Batting or you can just use the traditional aquarium brand filter floss.

The potential problem with using a lot of filter floss or fiberfill type material in a canister filter is that as the floss becomes saturated with dirt, water flow will decrease and the pump might not be getting sufficient water to run properly & could overheat and/or seize. So I keep an eye on my output spray bars to determine when it may be time to clean the filters.

I don't think I would use the micron pads in the 2260/2262 filters as it would possibly clog to quickly and starve the pump.
Poly-Filter pads are a brand of chemical media that is used to remove medication, phosphate, etc. from the aquarium.
Eheim pads are not made for this model filter and I'm sure the reason that Eheim doesn't recommend them is because of the high flow of these filters.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
BTW, here is a link to a local fishkeeper's suggestion for media in a 2260. He is well respected in my area and has quite a few years under his belt keeping fish. http://www.fmueller.com/home/aquaristic/125g/technology/filtration/

I forgot to ask earlier but is the 2260 the only filter on this tank? Also, what kind & how many fish are you planning on having?

I also saw on another thread that you bought this filter used & it has another brand of pump on it. Any chance of posting the pump model and maybe a pic of the filter?

Buc_Nasty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
California

The pump is a pondmaster model 9.5B utility pump 950gph. Then some pvc tubing to connect and another doubletap on top that I got at Big Al's I think.

All I could get my hands on was my crappy cellphone camera, and theres a lot of reflection right now I have to get some shades but there you have it.
As you can see theres a bunch of algae buildup. I dont have a pleco or my plants yet but I just ordered a ton of plants for about $15 on this site sweetaquatics.com you should check it out. I have two coralife lights but I've turned one off and run the other a lot less because of the algae bloom... I hope it recedes.

Also I don't know if you can see but the tank is separated by a screen...the Kribensis dug some tunnels under a piece of wood and about 20 little guys hatched and have been swimmin around over there. I'm tryin to save them from being eaten then I can sell them back to the fish shop i bought them from.
Yes its the only filter on the tank. The 2262 is rated up to 500 gallon tanks I assume itll be plenty for this 125g thats 72 inches long.

In the tank...
2 blue guarami
2 clown loaches
2 kribensis
2 roseline sharks
3 bosemani rainbow
4 tiger barb

The only fish over about 2.5 inches now are the guaramis at 4.

Getting a plecostomas within the next week or so and I want to get an upside down catfish or two

I'm also actually wondering if I can get an oscar and what that would require but I have to read into that.

Buc_Nasty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
California
Oh and thats interesting about how that fishkeeper uses the poly fill only ...I havent used it but I'd imagine itd get really junky but i guess not. I just wonder if he gets crystal clear water doing that because thats all i really care about haha. And its too late for me with that, I ordered some of those Poret sponge pads and a $5 micron pad that im going to try but be very careful about the clogging you mentioned. Along with the 5L of substratpro (found a super deal got it for $49 as compared to $90 in most places) ive spent a lot on media thatll last a real long time so no use switching to polyfil.

And DMD...the upgraded 2260 is totally awesome you should do it. The extra double tap really makes it easy to clean and the pump is still super quiet but twice the flow as the original. The plastic lid doesnt fit over the pump but who really cares.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store