New to cichla

Vapor315

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2010
Syracuse, NY
I'm new to the whole peacock bass scene but not to fish keeping, I was wondering the growth rates of the different species along with their personalities. I would like to get them small and grow them out, they will be housed in my empty 125 with bichirs and a silver or two( this is a growout tank so I don't not need to be flamed for the tank size they will be moved more adequate housing when they beef up.)

Thanks,
Ryan

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
Vapor315;4360727; said:
I'm new to the whole peacock bass scene but not to fish keeping, I was wondering the growth rates of the different species along with their personalities. I would like to get them small and grow them out, they will be housed in my empty 125 with bichirs and a silver or two( this is a growout tank so I don't not need to be flamed for the tank size they will be moved more adequate housing when they beef up.)

Thanks,
Ryan
Well i don't Own Mono -Ocell -Tem's because they have a faster growth rate.Temensis seemingly growing the largest .With some kept in very large aquariums reaching over three feet.I purpasely bought Orino and Kelberi being slower growers but they still grow quikely My Orino were bought at 1.5 inch late last november also the Kelberi at 3 inch bought at the same time most out of the 6 are pushing 12 inches with a few slower growers around 8 to 9 inch .So in 8 months they have grown an average of 1 inch per month. Also the Orino most say they max in size about 24 inch but i am sure there will be smaller and much larger given room to grow...Hope this helps....:D:headbang2

switch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Toronto, ON.
With a Monoculus or Ocellaris, you can expect an inch of growth per month until 12"-13"" where they might slow down a little. Orinos and Kelberis are the slow growers of the Cichla family but there are some instances where they have grown as fast as a Mono or Ocell. It really depends on the individual fish and the diet given to said fish. Temensis are the fastest growing member of the Cichla, followed by other species like Piquiti, Pinima, and other elongated species like it. Temensis and Temensis-like species grow the largest of the Cichla family. Aggression and personality will depend on the individual fish.

From personal experience, My Monoculus is very passive and calm. Whereas My Azul/Piquiti will often start a commotion with other members in the tank. I've heard Orinocensis are most aggressive member of the Cichla family but this will also depend on the individual fish itself. For instance, I had a 13" Orino who was very calm and would only fight if provoked and another case where my current 6" Orino would flare and chase away anything smaller or close to his size. I've never kept Kelberi or Temensis so I can't say for sure how aggressive they will be but they should act just any other Cichlid. Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps you!

Vapor315

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Thank you for the much needed info when I took a break from the hobby a few years ago the azuls just became available does anyone know the relative price of them now, and quite possible where I could get some I'm in Jax, Fl thank you.

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
Right now there are quite a few on the market ..You just missed out another member was just selling in florida.Right now you should be able to get one between $180 and 350 depending on size color and collection point...

Vapor315

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Anybody selling any pbass in northern Fl, anything but occel. I can go catch those if I wanted. Also anyone know of a good fish store in Jax area I've only found salt places.

Mattie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
Taiwan
Hi there I'm pretty new to fish keeping and new to Cichlas as well, I bought some farm bred Kelberis [I live in Taiwan] around 4 inches long, they were like swimming mouths, I don't think the LFS ever fed them - anyways they just never stopped eating, I have never known any animal grow so quick, flesh out and get colour, they've grown a cpuple of inches in a month but are slowing down now, and I get the impression this is pretty normal. I worry about parasites from all the goldfish they've eaten and though they will mess with pellets a bit these fish are piscovores and I believe tha's waht they should be fed. I also have 2 small Piquitos and 2 unidentified fingerlings that could be pretty much anything at the size they are - 2 inches. The vendor told me they were Intermedia but I don't believe him for a moment. It is interesting out here because fish hydridisation [the home of the 'red parrot' is big business and one shop is selling a Monoculus/Kelberi cross, I bought one out of interest to see how he turns out. If I was starting again I would have waited longer and got some wild caught Kelberi, about 300 USD a fish out here! but I reckon any well cared for fish looks beautiful so I'm enjoying what I've got for the time being.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Vapor315;4364326; said:
Anybody selling any pbass in northern Fl, anything but occel. I can go catch those if I wanted. Also anyone know of a good fish store in Jax area I've only found salt places.
Look up John....snookn21. He is a vendor here and he is located in Ft. myers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store