Agro Royal?

TheRayMaster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I had a 5 inch royal plec in my dicus tank (100 gal) with some other plecs. (a 6 in green phantom, a 6 in king tiger, a 4 in sabaji, and a 2 in pitbull) He was totally docile and was never aggressive towards any of the others even if he was one of the larger ones. I recently moved him (and it was a b!itch to catch him) to my new 200 gallon and now he is all mean. He fronts the geophagus surinamensis and the synodontis and now the inca snails. Never really does damage but it is the most aggro I have ever seen him. Should I not get anymore stuff that hangs out at the bottom? I was hoping to get more synos or maybe another plec, but not if he might kill them.
What do you guys think?:confused:

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
How about switching around some of the synos & other bottom dwellers? i.e., put some of the plecos original bottom dwelling tankmates in the 200 and move some of the ones currently in the 200g into the 100g with the discus.

Another thought that comes to mind is to aquascape the 200g more like your plecos original 100g home. Maybe your pleco is ticked off because you took away his favorite rock or driftwood piece.

I'm actually surprised the pleco is going after your geos and left the discus alone.:nilly:

TheRayMaster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Yeah I guess he was just cool with the discus cause he had grown up with them. Plus he was prolly busy chasing around the other plecs instead. Yeah he is the only plec in there right now and he has all the wood to himself. Nothing really even lives in any of it in the 200. Maybe he is just staking his claim

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
My royal has never chased anything. Barely moves if at all even when fish get really close. I recently attended a seminar on loaches where the speaker said in passing: " fish are often like people. Some are rotten and some aren't".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store