ID this Pleco

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I bought him as a Vampire Pleco, but I think I've also seen it as a Galaxy Pleco. Any info anyone?

DSCN1366.JPG

DSCN1368.JPG

DSCN1369.JPG

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
It is a black spotted one :D. Pretty sure it is a vampire, galaxy pelcos have a bit different head.

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
Galaxy pleco and vampire pleco = the same fish by common name. Either way, looks like an L007 to me. Beautiful fish btw!

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Here's some close ups and side shot of the Pleco...

DSCN1373.JPG

DSCN1374.JPG

DSCN1375.JPG

DSCN1377.JPG

DSCN1379.JPG

TheRayMaster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Down where I live, Galaxy Pleco and Vampire pleco are not the same. But they do look very simlar. The Vampire pleco (as I understand it down here) is an adonis pleco. It is more elongated and has fin extentions on its tail fin. This fish commands a pretty high price among plecos, even when small. The Galaxy pleco (as per the ones I have seen) Is a little less elongate and more thick and does not get as large (actually I have never seen one as large as the vampires.). They command a high price as well but not as high as the vampire pleco.
I think that yours is a galaxy pleco. Just cause the tail is not that long and skinny.

Daniel Machado

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2005
Fortal Town - Brazil
Down where I live, Galaxy Pleco and Vampire pleco are not the same. But they do look very simlar. The Vampire pleco (as I understand it down here) is an adonis pleco. It is more elongated and has fin extentions on its tail fin. This fish commands a pretty high price among plecos, even when small. The Galaxy pleco (as per the ones I have seen) Is a little less elongate and more thick and does not get as large (actually I have never seen one as large as the vampires.). They command a high price as well but not as high as the vampire pleco.
I think that yours is a galaxy pleco. Just cause the tail is not that long and skinny.
I've NEVER seen an adonis called a "vampire"... The name "vampire" refers to members of the genus Leporacanthicus, who have tusk-like teeth. But it's not the case here. :grinno:

The pictured pleco IS a vampire pleco, Leporacanthicus galaxias. According to their scientific name, these can be called "galaxy" too, although galaxy usually refers to a Pseudacanthicus species. Well, this one could be called "galaxy vampire" or something so, to avoid this kind of confusion. :D

Best regards.

Daniel.

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
I've NEVER seen an adonis called a "vampire"... The name "vampire" refers to members of the genus Leporacanthicus, who have tusk-like teeth. But it's not the case here. :grinno:

The pictured pleco IS a vampire pleco, Leporacanthicus galaxias. According to their scientific name, these can be called "galaxy" too, although galaxy usually refers to a Pseudacanthicus species. Well, this one could be called "galaxy vampire" or something so, to avoid this kind of confusion. :D

Best regards.

Daniel.
Well put Daniel! To sum it up, common names are often next to dust in the wind in the world of taxonomy. How many times have we all seen hillstream loaches labeled as butterfly plecos?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
yup you have a Leporacanthicus galaxias. there are a lot of L numbers of these guys, and there are even more if you count the ones that they think are the same spp, but havent been scientifically approved as it were. how big is it? just treat it how you'd treat a pleco, and give it a lot of meaty foods like prawn and bloodworm.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Davo :thumbsup: I can always count on you to know Plecos :icon_naruto10:
It's about 5" It's breathing pretty rapidly, so I worry about it. I want to buy some peat to soften the water, but all the stores I've been to are out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store