Severum Hybrids?

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
Hi, I was in the forum discussing the possibility of a rd/severum hybrid, and it brought up the subject of my fish, which I believed was a Convict x Severum. Nobody believed me, so I'm posting this up here with more pictures to see what you guys think. glenbo says its possibly a con x sajica, though I would think that if this was the case, it would have a less sloped forehead (as sajica males have a nuchal hump) the fish in question is an obvious male. All i know is that it came from a tank with a paired convict and severum. Heres pictures before discussion:

The blue colour is from the lights, he pretty much fades between grey and black. He has a definite bar in the middle, like a sajica, though he also has the severum bar on his back end/tail (it is much more obvious when he's in a better mood, i.e. not being photographed, he tends to fade out when you're making him nervous)- this and his body shape are the main things that make me think he's a severum cross. So what do you guys think? Does anyone else here have a cichlid that's crossed with a severum? I believe this to be possible, though many people on here seem to think that it's not. But my question is, if thats not what he is, then what could he be?

Also, MFKr's from oklahoma, do any of you have or know where to find brothers/sisters of this fish? I got him from leanns' place on kelly in edmond, the guy that brought them in said they were the result of a convict and severum, so thats' all the proof I have. I have never seen a sajica or heard of anyone having them in oklahoma.

So what do you guys think? is a heros/cryptoheros cross possible? what is he?

By the way, heres a picture of a sajica and severum for reference. Black bar in the middle is reminiscent of saj but the body shape is very similar to a severum no?

I will try to get a good picture of the sev bar on his tail if people are interested in figuring this out with me

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
hah lol yeah I thought that added a lot too. I'm not too sure about the possibility that it's a JD x COn cross though, I believe that would produce a more torpedo shaped fish than a convict; my fish is a little more disk-shaped and heavy bodied than a con. From what i've found on the net, a JD/con would look a little more like this

Or it would at least have a dot in the middle at some point like a JD instead of a bar
this guy's pretty much looked like this all his life, only his fins have developed and gotten more showy.

Btw Hoyo, Knives are some of my favorite fish. I am envious of your collection, If i had those here I wouldn't do anything but watch them

glenbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
England
From the pics i can see a definite 'T' but also looks liek some JD pearling, and you said it has bigger teeth than a normal Con, JD's have that whereas Severums do not :)

tiddlywinks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
las vegas
i think its a normal convict with a lil mutation from being breed with its siblings

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store