Potatoes for Plecos?

TheRayMaster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have been feeding my plecos (royal, sabaji, green phantom, king tiger, and pit bull) lots of different things. Algae discs, sinking shrimp pellets, whole shrimp, and zuchinni. I remember seeing that some other pleco keepers also feed their plecos slices of potato. I wanted to try this out too, but I was wondering if I should do anything like boil it first or whatever. For the zuchinni and cucumbers I just slice them and rubber band them to rocks. Can I just do this with the taters too?

deangelo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2006
Pilipinas/ Los Angeles
You'd probably want to cook or boil out the potato first cause raw potatoes have alkaline which I think would not be very good for the fish..just my 2 cents..:character0063:

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
Im going to be tryin yams soon, so far my plecos have eaten cucumbers(preferable seedless), shrimp pellets, cichlid flake, shrimp, even tilapia fillet (when my tsn or Endi is being lazy).

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Reg potatos and yams (sweet potatos) are great for plecs, good for conditioning too.

Just on a side note, I see you listed alot of meaty foods, that's fine for your other plecs, but not for your royal.

Thies guys need wood, and a little vegitable matter only, with a small meaty treat once a month at most. If he gets more meat then that, his life span will be significantly reduced (he'll die of bloat in a few years.) This is why many pleco keepers do a panaque only tank, they really arnt suitable for most community tanks.

Here's a link, pay attention to what Shane says, he's a well respected expert on plecos and catfish from www.planetcatfish.com

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
potatoes are great, just soak them for a bit and wash em thoroughly, the starch in them isnt good for water quality. no need to boil them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store