Convict in pond

zenyoungkoh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2010
so cal and singapore
My friend has a private pond thats about a quarter acre big. The pond is about 2-3 feet deep. He wants to stock the pond for fishing but doesnt want the usual bass etc. He wants to stock the pond with cichlid n other oddball. The pond is in so cal at thousand oaks. I was wondering can convict survive the outdoor pond??? And what other cichlid will also have a chance surviving winter???

BrtnBoy449

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
Michigan
Im not sure how cold the coldest temps would be in socal but most cichlids can tolerate water temperatures into the low 70's and even into the 60's. If the water temps do stay in that range then most cichlids except for some of the more delicate ones would be fine in there. Oscars, red devils, possible peacock bass, and as you mentioned convicts should all be fine in there

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
I'm not sure how cold winter gets in your friend's area... but if the water temp will dip under the mid/low 70's, i wouldnt reccomend any tropical cichlids, or tropical aquarium fish in general for that matter.
IF, however, the temp will stay in the 70s, there are quite a few options.
Green terrors, red devils, oscars, pbass, texas, and midas could all probably be kept in the pond if it had a stable ecosystem and proper spawning grounds.
Convicts would be able to live there too, but wouldn't be good fishing stock because of their small size.

as far as other oddballs go, I'm hesitant to suggest anything because I'm not sure how the ecosystem would work out. One thing to be sure of is whats in the pond already. ther needs to be a healthy population of small fish and plants to provide food for your friends stock.

haywood

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2005
nj
There was a program on TV that showed that Piranhas were surviving in cold water until it reached around 59*. At temps below 70* they became very lethargic. Not the same fish but similar habitats.

Gruff Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Fl
www.alexteralbury.com
A few of my friends here in Florida keep their convicts and other cichlids in ponds. Most years they do perfectly well and in some of the colder winters they suffer some losses. But for the most part they do fine and actually breed.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
I think your best bet would be Texas cichlids (cyanos) because their natural range expands through South Texas. They'll have the best chance at surviving the cold temps.

BrtnBoy449

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
Michigan
haywood;4410373; said:
There was a program on TV that showed that Piranhas were surviving in cold water until it reached around 59*. At temps below 70* they became very lethargic. Not the same fish but similar habitats.
i thought of that same show when i first read this thread haha

zenyoungkoh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2010
so cal and singapore
Plec123;4410089; said:
IF, however, the temp will stay in the 70s, there are quite a few options.
Green terrors, red devils, oscars, pbass, texas, and midas could all probably be kept in the pond if it had a stable ecosystem and proper spawning grounds.
Convicts would be able to live there too, but wouldn't be good fishing stock because of their small size.

as far as other oddballs go, I'm hesitant to suggest anything because I'm not sure how the ecosystem would work out. One thing to be sure of is whats in the pond already. ther needs to be a healthy population of small fish and plants to provide food for your friends stock.
I'll tell him about that. temperature during winter nights drop to mid 60s. Pond temperature about 65 on surface not sure about bottom. The pond has some unidentified small fish about the size of full grown mollies, plants and other assorted stuffs. I have a convict. n i dont mind breeding it, n plant the pond with convicts while keeping some for myself as bait fish for bass fishing n stuffs.

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
Citrinellus;4410444; said:
I think your best bet would be Texas cichlids (cyanos) because their natural range expands through South Texas. They'll have the best chance at surviving the cold temps.

x2, I think that is a good choice . . . has your friend checked to make sure he can legally stock the pond with fish of his choice?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store