Will They Coexist

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Will a Vampire Pleco get along with a Sailfin Pleco? Since it's not a big algae eating Pleco, I'd like to get one that'll actually eat algae. They would be in a 75g.

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
sure, i have a vamp and a sail in one tank. the vamp is quite territorial but thats no problem if you have anough hiding spots for them both. but if you want a good algea eating plec i would go for a royal or other panaque or maybe a bn.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Well...the tank is pretty bare. I have black sand subtrate, a piece of driftwood, 2 river rocks on each side of the driftwood, and a elbow PVC pipe (which the Clown Knife occupies). I hate the way the PVC pipe looks with the rest of the decor, but it makes the CK comfy. I guess I'd like to keep the decor minimal. Would it still be okay to put another Pleco in there?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
sounds pretty similar (if not identicle) to the pleco tank i just set up. if you want you could put the piping behind the bogwood (depends how big i guess to how well you can hide it). The only thing id think about is whether or not the pleco would see the pipe as a cave for itself, and just hope that a more territorial plec wont mind (which if theres enough hiding places shouldnt be a problem). gibby and a vampire would do fine, but yea i think stiffmeister is pretty spot on if you would rather something other than a gibby. although gibbys can definately handle there own so maybe you made a good choice anyway :thumbsup:

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
I think the key is giving enough spots for them to all hide or retreat into, sounds like a good mix, plecos rule! Especially vampires!

tb_077

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2004
Chicagoland area
StiffMeister;473704; said:
sure, i have a vamp and a sail in one tank. the vamp is quite territorial but thats no problem if you have anough hiding spots for them both. but if you want a good algea eating plec i would go for a royal or other panaque or maybe a bn.

I agree with stiffy.

If you're looking for something to eat algae, p/u an ancistrus or even a few ottos.

cactus

Feeder Fish
Aug 20, 2006
England
tb_077;487485; said:
I agree with stiffy.

If you're looking for something to eat algae, p/u an ancistrus or even a few ottos.

wouldn't a knife eat ottos? would have thought it was a bit risky.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store