would a 55g......

rasdbo

420man
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
near purple indo lake
be great for a pleco tank, maybe an undergravel filter with wood and rocks for substrate?

also any info on the pellegrini pleco and the L114 leopard pleco because i have just added them to my collection and would like to know max sizes and diet. also just got a baby royal pleco and if i had the money would pick up a spiney angelicus pleco but it is a $140 for a three inch one.;)

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
a fifty five could be ok... depends on the pleco...some are monsters some are just a couple of inches. i dont know about undergravel filters but a lot of plecos like to have a decent flow through the tank, so should have a powerhead. substrate and wood is good.

The L114 is supposed to get about 10" but i personally have seen one a bit bigger. Mainly a carnivore, although should give some greens. Prawns, bloodworms, chopped mussels etc will work good.

Royals (L27) get to about 16", but it would depend on the panaque spp. others get called royals and dont get that big. They are herbivores basically, need lots of veg- cucumber, potatoes, broccolli- they need the roughage. they also NEED bogwood, but you got that in there. dont use meds with this plec.

angelicus are nice small fish (3" isnt far from full grown-4"ish), but its a pricy one.

o and if the pelligrini is the L095 gets to about 14"

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I mean you can stock that tank up with some plecos but once larger they will need to be moved to new housing. Right now in my 60gallon tank(Main One) I have about 11 plecos ranging in size from 2"to 6" but once they start getting some size on them I am going to move them to a 125 and go from there. Be warned though I have 2 AC110's, Magnum 350 and 250 and change water ever 4 days. Can't stand pleco poop floating around. The 2 AC110's one gets full really fast and needs to be changed once a week(Just Foam) and the other one can last for 3 weeks(BioMedia)both are custom. The 350 Magnum is changed every 3 months and the 250 Magnum gets change ever 1 1/2 months:eek3:

The Plecos in there are as follow

L-27c L-66 L-85 L-91 L-190 L-191
L-200 Hx2 L-204 L-239 L-300

I would personally ditch the undergravel kit, but keep a power head on the tank just to move water around. The reason for getting rid of undergravel kit is the fact that a ways down the road maybe 3 months maybe a year. The undergravel kit will start to backup. The reason is the plecos waste is so heavy that you will be creating a huge sludge pool under the gravel and if not working properly can cause some serious damage.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
actually now i think about it, a lot of waste isnt good for undergravel, and when those get bigger, they are going to produce a lot! if you wanted to keep it, you could add another filter or two but do a lot of gravel vaccum cleaning.

rasdbo

420man
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
near purple indo lake
thanks for the info and if L095 "pelligrini" pleco fins start to turn red then that is the one, sawne at about 10-12" and it blew me away how red the fins had gotten :eek3: , so i can't wait for mine to do the same.

Sescila

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2006
Long Island
There are a number of plecos that you could house in a 55gal. If you are a novice pleco keeper, I would start out with 4 of 5 Bushy nose plecos. There are a few different types, so do you research before you buy. Bushy nose plecos are fairly easy to keep you might even be able to breed them. I would not reccomend an undergravel filter. Go with a quality canister filter like an Eheim. You and your fish will be happier for it.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
yea the cheeks go a colour too, looks awesome. yea there are 55+ species of ancistrus, so if you go down that road its best to buy them all in the same batch, cause theres more of a chance you'll get the same species (so many look the same). only get one male in a 55 in my opinion. but a few females is fine with it, and like said easy to breed with a little cave or 3. your tank will be spotless from algae too with ancistrus species

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store