question

jarcher1390

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Cumbria
hi all, tommorrow im going to c about the plec at some1 house and they said its out grown its tank the tanks 3 ft i here and the plec is 1.5ft ( i dunno what kind of plec as the owner does not know) ma question is will ma other plec which is a sailfin plec about 7" will it be ok. I dont think ma tank size will matter as ive got a 180gal uk

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
if its one and a half foot, it could well be another sailfin, or just a common-but hey you may bag yourself a bargain like an adonis or Pseudacanthicus sp. or somethin...
but anyway i wont lie, if its a gibby like your other, there is a high chance that your 7" is going to get bullied by a 18" (thats a fully grown one). unless you have adaquate hiding places and a decent sized tank, id be wary about doing it, but its hard to give advice on what to do. you should check it out though, just cause it might be something cool... you never know

big plecos are territorial plecos with age, but thats not to say it isnt possible to keep a few together, because a lot of people do it (some on here)

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
just another small word of advice: big plecs are strong.... very strong. they are well capable of destroying everything in your tank. I started with some pieces of wood and tubes etc in my tank and now i only have one big piece of wood in there as her home. My 14" plec was moving everything and she can lift up the current 8 kg piece of wood. just be prepared for a big one like that.

jarcher1390

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Cumbria
well i went and had a look at it 2day and it looks very similar to a sailfin plec but ma dad was wrong it was just under a foot in lenght and it was alrite for another year

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
ive kept 11"ers with 7 and 6"ers an d they faired ok, but had a lot of different sized hidey holes

tb_077

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2004
Chicagoland area
Fights will happen when you keep similar species together, one plec will establish dominance and the other will retreat.

Just make sure everybody's getting plenty to eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store