PDA

View Full Version : Moving Very Large Aquariums

Consigliere
10-21-2010, 4:49 PM
Does anyone have any experience moving very large tanks? I have a 250 that weighs about 600lbs that I need moved from my garage to my basement. The kicker is a 90" turn in the stairs down to my basement. I've asked one moving company to give a quote and they wouldn't take the work because of the risk but they didn't seem particularly bright so I think someone who has done this or has experience with very big items may be able to help me out. Anyone know of companies in Eastern Ontario that will move stuff like this? I'm located in Kingston.

I may end up having to do it myself with 4 people. Anyone have any advice on doing it yourself? What kind of gear you would need? Any helpful tips?

creepyoldguy
10-21-2010, 4:57 PM
4 guys should be plenty. As far as gear, beer is really the only thing me or my friends ever needed to move large tanks.

Venom SS
10-21-2010, 5:02 PM
a 4 wheel dolly can be a huge help. Maybe 2 if the tank is over 6ft. Weve moved a couple that big, and bigger. 4-6 people is good. If you use 4, they need to be strong dudes. The dolly will save your backs. With those you only have to lift the tank to take it off the stand, and then lift again to put it back on. Eliminates having to carry it which is where disasters occur.

nelsonx22
10-21-2010, 5:02 PM
damn too bad u aint here cuz i'll be more than happy to help u wit that tank

Dark Jester
10-21-2010, 5:10 PM
Can the tank actually make the turn? Probably fine for a 6' tank, but an 8' tank might have trouble with turns in tight spaces.

Might want to build a 2x4 frame with the same outer dimensions as the tank and practice with that to make sure it will clear everything. Will suck twice as bad if you get it halfway down there and then have to bring it back up cause it wouldn't fit. :)

azian_kicker
10-21-2010, 5:10 PM
Mod is planning to move the tank from the garage to his basement.. That won't be very easy to go down the stairs and in the future if you want to move the tank out of that basement, it is even harder.

Jayzao
10-21-2010, 5:14 PM
A good dolly and 4 of those suction cup gripper handles will do the trick.
But measure first to be prepared

Dahammer
10-21-2010, 5:15 PM
I can see where getting a tank that size down a narrow stairwell with a 90 degree turn in it could be problematic. Are you certain it will fit around the 90 degree turn? Probably up on it's side it would, unless it's unusually tall or something. Anyway, I'd rent a commercial grade moving dolly. You can usually rent them from moving companies in the area or DIY moving suppliers like UHaul. I don't see much other way, unless your starwell is extremely wide, I don't think you can fit enough people in the stairwell with the tank to tote it down, but if it's on a dolly they can probably manage it.

Clay
10-21-2010, 5:30 PM
So, I've moved many a tank and a lot of them 8' or more. basically, you want to start it down the stairs, put it on it's end, shimmy it around the corner and then continue down the stairs.

Moving down is always easier than moving up. :)

Get a few friends, but count on one of them being out of place. Also remember that you'll do most of the lifting.

cichlid2006
10-21-2010, 6:38 PM
The pro's use those suction cups, that glaziers use, for large tanks.

Consigliere
10-21-2010, 6:48 PM
Thanks for all the tips.

Quick question on the "shimmy around the corners". With the tank on end, did you pull the bottom out to continue down the stairs or tip the top down?

DMD123
10-21-2010, 7:00 PM
4 guys should be plenty. As far as gear, beer is really the only thing me or my friends ever needed to move large tanks.

It really works!

But remember move tank first, then beer. Otherwise the tank never gets moved!

Crispy
10-21-2010, 10:39 PM
if you really want to pay someone to move it, try piano movers or pool table movers. they'll have good experience with something so large and heavy. A dolly and suction cups if you're doing it.

I'm in southwest ontario, if you were close, I'd help you for beer. :D

DaveB
10-21-2010, 10:47 PM
What type of surface is the landing?

If it's a hard surface, get a bath mat or hall rug that is soft on one side and has that rubbery anti slip texture on the other. Set it upside down on the landing and land the tank vertically on it. Then, VERY GENTLY pull the rug to get the tank sliding slowly over the edge until you have enough exposed to put the suction cups back on it.

Two people each end, one per suction handle. The longer armed people should be on the lower end and the ones with stronger backs up top. Don't be afraid to keep it very close to the stairs and set it down on them every step. If the stairs are crappy and you have some 2x4s you can lay down as tracks, you can slide the tank right down the tracks to the landing, re-orient as noted above, and do the same thing again.

Redtailedcat
10-22-2010, 3:41 AM
best be dude is a case of beer and a few buddys 4-6 but remmber drink the beer after the tank is in the basement or it will never get moved lol best of luck bro if you where closer i would help

GEO QUEEN
10-22-2010, 4:34 AM
and if the tank is pretty much just a normal looking 250, then the tank is not anywhere near 600lbs. try 300 to 350.

Clay
10-22-2010, 7:03 AM
Thanks for all the tips.

Quick question on the "shimmy around the corners". With the tank on end, did you pull the bottom out to continue down the stairs or tip the top down?
Once it's on end, it'll stay that way. Most stairs won't accommodate (and it's highly unsafe) tipping it over from there.

PostalPenguin
10-22-2010, 11:11 AM
If you are looking to hire someone you could try calling local glass companies. They may not have experience with tanks but will have experience moving glass and have the suction cups to move it.

importracer
10-22-2010, 7:31 PM
Does anyone have any experience moving very large tanks? I have a 250 that weighs about 600lbs that I need moved from my garage to my basement. The kicker is a 90" turn in the stairs down to my basement. I've asked one moving company to give a quote and they wouldn't take the work because of the risk but they didn't seem particularly bright so I think someone who has done this or has experience with very big items may be able to help me out. Anyone know of companies in Eastern Ontario that will move stuff like this? I'm located in Kingston.

I may end up having to do it myself with 4 people. Anyone have any advice on doing it yourself? What kind of gear you would need? Any helpful tips?

As far as large aquarium goes when it comes to placing them in a comfortable spot.....Comfortrable meaning--->"comfortable operation" of moving in, setup, and easy water change accessability, well the garage is the only holy place.........The garage holds the largest door, the water hose line is easily accessed, no worries of drips or spills in the mind, and there is always a little extra room for another tank(somehow)..........:naughty:

DaveB
10-22-2010, 8:01 PM
and if the tank is pretty much just a normal looking 250, then the tank is not anywhere near 600lbs. try 300 to 350.

Obviously it's not, or he wouldn't have mentioned it.

My old school Glasscages 300 weighed nearly 800 pounds empty. It was re-re-reinforced with a ton of extra 1/2" glass. Which came in handy when the stupid movers cracked the bottom pane...

K626
10-25-2010, 7:59 AM
One question, you said you were moving to a basement? Could you take it out the front door and move it downhill or something in your front yard? It would be easier than going down stairs with a 90 degree turn. You may have to walk farther with it, but it would be less problematic if you have a walk out basement. Just a thought. :)

Pharaoh
10-25-2010, 8:48 AM
I'm with some of the others. 4-6 people and just stand it up on end to make the 90* turn.

I have moved multiple tanks down into my basement. I have a 90* turn just to get the tank down the stairs. I use a furniture pad when I set them on end, then you can just drag it where you need it. Then, tip it backward and guide the tank back down the stairs. It's a pain, but it can be done.

valderi123
10-25-2010, 9:35 PM
^^^^ agreed thats exactly how I got my 240 in the basement. But not knowing the particulares the frame building idea is genius.

rookiee
09-24-2013, 11:40 AM
how did you make out with the move, i am also in kingston , looking to move a 200 gal tank from garage to basement.

Adamrhh
09-24-2013, 12:34 PM
No company will move a fish tank 98 percent of the time as it's just too risky I. E the persons tank starts to leak, would he blame the company since it didn't leak prior? Also on the get a piano company or pool table mover, they're not going to have suction cups. In my opinion 4 or so strong people and one spotter is good enough. What I like to do is build the tank with cardboard and try to get it to fit when it weighs 1 pound then do it with the tank later after you've figured how you need to turn it etc

Sent from mobile app.