Moving Very Large Aquariums

Consigliere

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
Ontario
Does anyone have any experience moving very large tanks? I have a 250 that weighs about 600lbs that I need moved from my garage to my basement. The kicker is a 90" turn in the stairs down to my basement. I've asked one moving company to give a quote and they wouldn't take the work because of the risk but they didn't seem particularly bright so I think someone who has done this or has experience with very big items may be able to help me out. Anyone know of companies in Eastern Ontario that will move stuff like this? I'm located in Kingston.

I may end up having to do it myself with 4 people. Anyone have any advice on doing it yourself? What kind of gear you would need? Any helpful tips?

Venom SS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Texas
a 4 wheel dolly can be a huge help. Maybe 2 if the tank is over 6ft. Weve moved a couple that big, and bigger. 4-6 people is good. If you use 4, they need to be strong dudes. The dolly will save your backs. With those you only have to lift the tank to take it off the stand, and then lift again to put it back on. Eliminates having to carry it which is where disasters occur.

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
Can the tank actually make the turn? Probably fine for a 6' tank, but an 8' tank might have trouble with turns in tight spaces.

Might want to build a 2x4 frame with the same outer dimensions as the tank and practice with that to make sure it will clear everything. Will suck twice as bad if you get it halfway down there and then have to bring it back up cause it wouldn't fit. :)

azian_kicker

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
Water
Mod is planning to move the tank from the garage to his basement.. That won't be very easy to go down the stairs and in the future if you want to move the tank out of that basement, it is even harder.

Jayzao

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2010
Lost Wages
A good dolly and 4 of those suction cup gripper handles will do the trick.
But measure first to be prepared

Dahammer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2010
Mississippi
I can see where getting a tank that size down a narrow stairwell with a 90 degree turn in it could be problematic. Are you certain it will fit around the 90 degree turn? Probably up on it's side it would, unless it's unusually tall or something. Anyway, I'd rent a commercial grade moving dolly. You can usually rent them from moving companies in the area or DIY moving suppliers like UHaul. I don't see much other way, unless your starwell is extremely wide, I don't think you can fit enough people in the stairwell with the tank to tote it down, but if it's on a dolly they can probably manage it.

Clay

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2005
Chantilly, Va
So, I've moved many a tank and a lot of them 8' or more. basically, you want to start it down the stairs, put it on it's end, shimmy it around the corner and then continue down the stairs.

Moving down is always easier than moving up. :)

Get a few friends, but count on one of them being out of place. Also remember that you'll do most of the lifting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store