my Pleco died!!!!!!!!!

nero6370

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Medina, Ohio
I am a new fish owner, having bought 3 juvenile oscars previously in the last 2 months. I had moved my oscars into my (don't hate me) clean, unused spare tub from their original 10 gal. It's only temporary; I have a 75 gal on the way next week. I decided to buy 2 plecos to go in the 75 when I get it; in the meantime I put one in the tub with the oscars and the other in the 10 gal with my feeder goldfish. This evening the pleco in the 10 gal was dead, but he wa fine this morning before leaving for work. My other pleco in the tub is fine. I had the water in both tanks tested before getting the fish, both were fine except the ph was slightly high in the 10 gal. I added a teaspoon of aquarium salt to adjust it. So other than the fish being ill from the lfs (they were in separate tanks in the lfs), I have no clue why it died. By the way, I bought the plecos this past Saturday afternoon. Also, my feeders were fine in the same tank. Any advice would be great. Thanks, Tom

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
ph wont kill fish that often unless its super low or super high.. feeder fish produce large amounts of amonia wich can through off alota readings also they cary many many diseases thats probably why he died

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
ok, couple of important questions.
1. what kinda pleco was it?
2. what exactly was the pH (and what difference does aquarium salt do (doesnt salts make it alkali.. i've never used it so dont know)
3. How big was the pleco?

nero6370

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Medina, Ohio
davo;481477;481477 said:
ok, couple of important questions.
1. what kinda pleco was it?
2. what exactly was the pH (and what difference does aquarium salt do (doesnt salts make it alkali.. i've never used it so dont know)
3. How big was the pleco?
I do not know what kind of pleco it was; but it was dark gray with light gray speckles. It was about 3 1/2" long. As far as the salt goes, it was advised by the lfs. The water was tested at the lfs and I was told a high ph can be lowered with a little aquarium salt.

Kuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
Benton,Ky
sounds like a common pecostomas to me, feeders can cary various diseases, and you said they were goldfish, well they cary a heck of a bioload, i dont think your ph killed your plec, and im not sure if your goldfish are carrying somthing that it could have got to him that quick, did the pleco have anything to eat???

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
hmmm ok. well its not that small a pleco... but the smaller the pleco, the harder they are to raise. some come into LFS with internal parasites, some are so bad nutrition side, they wont recover... number of factors. dunno what species, but just so you know, depending on the species depends on the diet, some are vegetarian, some carnivorous, and some plecos also need bogwood (lignin) to help with their digestive tracts so... plecos come from the amazon so pH should therefore be around the 6.5-7pH ballpark, but they will survive outside of that, it is fluctuating pH's that cause a danger to a fish's health (and of course temp.). maybe the aquarium salt swung the pH, i dont know. anyway sorry bout your pleco, hope the other is doin' fine!

nero6370

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Medina, Ohio
Kuda;481830;481830 said:
sounds like a common pecostomas to me, feeders can cary various diseases, and you said they were goldfish, well they cary a heck of a bioload, i dont think your ph killed your plec, and im not sure if your goldfish are carrying somthing that it could have got to him that quick, did the pleco have anything to eat???
I dont' know about any disease, but it's possible. The tank had algae; some on the rocks and some was on a live plant. It was only 2 days since I brought it home from the lfs, so even if there was nothing at all to eat I don't think it would have died from hunger.

peckio

Feeder Fish
Nov 3, 2005
Singapore
WyldFya;483333; said:
Was the stomach sunken? That would be my guess...
Yup, if the pleco came with a T-shaped sunken stomach, chances are it already has 1 feet in the coffin, coupled with the high bioload in the goldfish tank, the pleco wouldn't have made it...
Had a few pcs of my plecos killed when comming them with goldfish when I started keeping plecos :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store