how much salt for brackish water?

Drizzt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2006
Central California
I have a dragon goby and I need to set up a brackish water tank for him. I just bought some Instant Ocean Sea Salt. I've looked all over for what the specific gravity should be and how much salt to add, but I have seen some very different information from 1 tbsp/gallon to 1 cup/gallon. Also, how long should it take for the salt to completely dissolve in the water so I can check the specific gravity? Thanks.

Elasmofreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Michigan
generally 1 cup per 5 gallons makes brackish water. depending upon you "cup size" the SG ranges from 1.010-1.015 any of which is acceptable for brackish fish. salt generally dissolves within 15 mins, with plenty of circulation.

pete620

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Ohio
The nice thing about brackish fish is that they can take salinity changes with little or no ill effects, at least not on the same level as saltwater fish.

Morgs202

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2006
Australia
I've found 10grams/ litre works really well. Not sure what that is in imperial, but u should be able to look it up on google

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
The thing about brackish is that in nature it changes hourly. It can be nearly fresh, then the tide changes and it is nearly totally salt. I would just add some and see how the fish is reacting. If in total fresh it is breathing hard add some salt. and the breathing should be more normal. the exact gravity is not really a factor.

Drizzt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2006
Central California
Thanks for the replies. I just felt bad that these guys are hardly ever taken care of correctly and I wanted to do things right. Right now he is in a freshwater tank, do I just acclimate him to the brackish water like I would for a fish I just brought home from the pet store? Now for any tips on feeding?

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Even though the fish can handle huge swings in salinity, the bacteria won't be able to and you will have a massive die off. Gradually raise the salinity until it is at the desired SG, mine is at 1.012 for now. Whenever I add new fish they are drip acclimated, just to be sure. The feeder guppies never get dripped into my tank and of the 200 or so I have purchased, only 1 has died a death not at the hands (or should i say 'fins') of another fish. hehe I just like to play it safe because even though in the wild they can handle the change easily, it is somewhat gradual and doesn't involve being in a bag for a while.

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Drizzt;486038; said:
Thanks for the replies. I just felt bad that these guys are hardly ever taken care of correctly and I wanted to do things right. Right now he is in a freshwater tank, do I just acclimate him to the brackish water like I would for a fish I just brought home from the pet store? Now for any tips on feeding?

Yes, just drip him into a brackish tank for a hour or 2. Keep with sand or bare bottom, they sift thru the sand for food. I feed blood worms, but will take color bits with some patience. When I started a brackish tank from fresh, I just dumped enough salt to bring the SG to 1.006, waited a few hours (to make sure all the salt dissolved) then added fish. I didnt have any problems

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Elasmofreak;485848; said:
generally 1 cup per 5 gallons makes brackish water. depending upon you "cup size" the SG ranges from 1.010-1.015 any of which is acceptable for brackish fish. salt generally dissolves within 15 mins, with plenty of circulation.
That's been roughly consistent with my experience. I use the following ballpark estimates, but always double check w/ actual measurements:

1/2 cup per 5 gallons = 1.005 SG
1 cup per 5 gallons = 1.010 SG
1 1/2 cup per 5 gallons = 1.015 SG
2 cups per 5 gallons = 1.020 SG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store