PDA

View Full Version : Reed Fish

Yoda1
12-02-2010, 7:30 AM
Hi All,

I would like to keep Reed Fish, but my research is very conflicting.
Some people say they are species only, and shouldn't be kept with other fish. As they will either eat them. Or will be out competed for food. Others say not a problem in a community tank.

So my questions are:

What is the minimum size tank?
Should they always be kept in pairs or more?
Are they safe with other fish? Say Corry/ Tetra size and larger?

Food:
Do they only eat live food? Or can they be weaned on to carnivore pellets?

Special water requirements?

Sorry for all the questions. But I would rather have my facts correct before going ahead and getting them.

Thanks
Yoda1

GarNiac
12-02-2010, 9:27 AM
I saw people kept them, but I've never kept one, judging from their size, a couple of them should be fine in a 50g, but bigger is always better. Any tankmates small enough to fit in their mouth would be eaten, but they can be trained to eat pellets. Reedfish/ropefish is not my favorite, bichirs looks better.

taisho75
12-02-2010, 9:49 AM
What is the minimum size tank?
Should they always be kept in pairs or more?
Are they safe with other fish? Say Corry/ Tetra size and larger?

Food:
Do they only eat live food? Or can they be weaned on to carnivore pellets?

Special water requirements?

I hope I can be of help as I am keeping 2 reed fish myself.

They are housed in a 2ft x1ft x 2.5ft tank, and has not try any smaller tank.

They can comm with other fishes that are bigger than their mouth and readily take live food and carnivore pellets. I dun see any special water requirements for them, but it need to be clean.

Maybe there are other who can share their experience with you. :)

theexoticbichir
12-02-2010, 4:48 PM
I have a reed fish(ropefish) and they are easy to care for and maintain.

They should be okay with your fish , but it depends what your housing them with.

They have tough scales and therefore can be housed in a semi aggresive tank.(just don't put them with cichlids)

You would be fine feeding them carnivore pellets, but most of them are on the stubborn side so live foods like ghost shrimp are preferred. !WARNING! they will grow big enough to eat any fish smaller than 2in( thats why I feed mine feeder rosy reds).

I would be careful when housing them with community fish.

I would recomend a senegal bichir because of your fish( but once again don't house them with small fish)

Hope I helped:)

Yoda1
12-04-2010, 9:54 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the info.
Am I correct in saying Reed Fish are less predatory then Bicher?

Thanks
Squidward

angryinsect
12-05-2010, 6:21 PM
definitley less aggressive than a bichir, but will eat anything small enough to fit in their mouth. that being said, i have 4 from 8-12'' that have been living peacefully with 5 white clouds for the last 3 months

Yoda1
12-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Are they easy to convert from frozen foods to predator pellets?

pi-eyed
12-07-2010, 12:26 PM
I've kept reedfish with cichlids before. They were in my 55g grow out tank. I had them pellet trained and they were getting along fine with tankmates. Then one day I found one stuck to the uplift tube. A couple days later the other one died suddenly. Both died for no apparent reason. The water parameters were fine. I had them for like 6 months before their demise. Needless to say I've had no luck with reedfish.

Good luck,
Chris

Spiritofthesoul
12-07-2010, 1:07 PM
As long as the other fishes couldn't fit into it's mouth and isn't aggressive, yes they can co-exist

bigchief
01-02-2011, 11:59 PM
i keep 6 in a 150 with 3 sens, 5 corys,6 glass catfish , and about 20 whiteclouds had them for about 7 or 8 months not problems, no casulitys..all in all a some what easy fish too keep ,,enjoy them emensely

mikec707
01-03-2011, 12:10 AM
I have had one for 3 years now super cool fish. Easy to keep. I keep many odd ball fish an have never had a problem with the reed or one tring to eat him.They like to hide but will also swim at the front of the tank. Great fish I have him in a 55gal an he is about perfect size for that tank. He also likes to school my Bichirs

Yoda1
01-16-2011, 4:23 PM
Hi All,
Well I finally got 2 Reed Fish yesterday. One about 30 cm and another about 2/3 of that size.

The smaller one is constantly swimming around. In between the plants, along the bottom of the tank etc.
The bigger one though is hiding most of the time. Every now and then he makess a mad dash to the surface of the water, and then quicky dashes back to its hiding place. Its swimming seems very clumsy.

Is this sort of behaviour normal?

Thanks
Yoda1

OddBallKeeper
01-16-2011, 4:29 PM
I had 1 in a 55 and he was fine i fed him hame worms pellets bloodworms everything he was in with Oscars,Geophagus Brasiliensis,Synodontis and a load more Great Fish
R.I.P Piy My Best Eel Evar :'(

RedDwarf
01-16-2011, 5:36 PM
The reed/rope fish I have keep seem to display the same type of behavior, the smaller ones are almost always swimming around the tank and the larger ones seem much lazier unless they are looking for food. I think the funny swimming is because as they get larger there is more bulk for them to move through the water so they sort of wobble as they swim. Just makes them more fun to watch.

JamesF
01-16-2011, 8:45 PM
They're one of the few fish I can think of that can appear simultaneously graceful and clumsy in their swimming. O wouldn't be concerned unless it appears to have balance issues. The dash to the surface and back down is normal breathing behaviour for both ropes and bichirs.
I've never experienced any problems with ropes eating anything offered. Frozen, live, pellets, they take it all. Ghost shrimp are great fun to feed.
My three are currently in with bichirs, synodontis cats, and two species of cichlids (nanochromis parilus and buffaloheads). The smallest is just over an inch, and there are no issues.

Yoda1
01-17-2011, 4:46 PM
RedDwarf & JamesF,

Thanks for the info. I have never had these fish before so I was a bit concerned. I thought that maybe the larger one had been hurt while being caught.

Thanks
yoda1

bigchief
01-17-2011, 4:55 PM
out of my six its the bigger ones that are more active and swimming all the time and the smaller ones seem too bee more timid and hide most the time

lix.ma14
01-23-2011, 8:08 PM
A 30 gallon would be good enough. You can house several of them. The max length ofthe rope/reed fish is usully mislabel as 30 INCHES when REAL the max length of them is 30 CENTAMETRES/12 INCHES. Remember this people.

Yoda1
01-27-2011, 3:23 AM
When I got my Reeds a few weeks ago, the lfs told me they were feeding them Tetra Prima. I have some Angels in the same tank that I feed Prima to, but the Reeds won't touch it.
I then tried some freeze dried river shrimp - won't touch it
Beef Heart (that I feed to the Angels) - won't touch it
Frozen cockles - won't touch it.
Sinking catfish pellets - won't touch it.

The only thing they go mad for is frozen blood worm.
Is it ok if the Reeds only eat the frozen blood worm? Is there something else I should try and introduce into their diet?

JamesF
01-27-2011, 7:33 AM
Frozen mysis shrimp, and frozen white shrimp (from the grocery store) should both be taken readily. My male rope won't really eat anything but the white shrimp. Everything else is chewed for a bit then spit out.

EmrePekdeniz
01-27-2011, 9:22 AM
This thread needs pictures.

azzam_azree
01-27-2011, 9:56 AM
i have 2 reed fish.. it okay with my bichir, i like this fish because it shape like dragon.... huhuhuhu... but polterus is my favorite predator fish..... huhu

JamesF
01-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Here's a shot of one of my females.

I missed a cool shot the other day. All three of them were poking out of the same hole under a piece of driftwood with about half of their bodies out sticking almost straight up. It looked like a three headed dragon coming out of a cave. :)

EmrePekdeniz
01-27-2011, 11:57 AM
What a cool fish! I'm collecting eels so I'd definitely want to get one. Never seen one for sale around here, though.

Yoda1
01-31-2011, 3:11 AM
JamesF,
Very nice.
Interesting rocks in the tank

JamesF
01-31-2011, 7:16 AM
Thanks Yoda.
The rock is drill core from mineral exploration. It makes for a nice roman ruin look.

Younglin
01-31-2011, 7:32 AM
They are not eels. Also the best diet for them is fish fillets ( tilapia is best) and small shrimp. Feeding them pellets is not a good idea because they swallow their food whole. They will crush it into shape to swallow but they don't really chew. Pellets can be dangerous because they are hard and can cause dangerous constipation. They will seem fine and then just die randomly. I have done lots of research on these guys and they are one of my favorite fish. They are quite fun to watch. I have had an incident where the larger rope attacked the smaller one and given that they are male and female, this may have been courting behavior. Caution should be taken as they get larger. They will become less and less friendly. My rope ate a 2 inch convict. Beware of small tank mates.

Yoda1
02-01-2011, 3:15 AM
They are not eels. Also the best diet for them is fish fillets ( tilapia is best) and small shrimp. Feeding them pellets is not a good idea because they swallow their food whole. They will crush it into shape to swallow but they don't really chew. Pellets can be dangerous because they are hard and can cause dangerous constipation. They will seem fine and then just die randomly. I have done lots of research on these guys and they are one of my favorite fish. They are quite fun to watch. I have had an incident where the larger rope attacked the smaller one and given that they are male and female, this may have been courting behavior. Caution should be taken as they get larger. They will become less and less friendly. My rope ate a 2 inch convict. Beware of small tank mates.

Mine are totally not interested in the dry food (Tetra Prima) that I feed the other fish (Angels) in the tank. They love blood worm though. Don't seem interested in the other things (cockles, freeze dreid river shrimp) that i have tried to feed them.

I have a group of 4.
1 what I imagine is a fully grown and the 3 smaller ones.
The fully grown one hardly ever comes out of his hiding place. Sometimes a quick rise to the surface for air. And to come out and eat. But that's it.
The 3 smaller ones are a lot more active and come out of their hiding places quite a bit.

Ambervikings91
02-09-2011, 4:03 AM
these are very cool fish, i had one a while back, very fun! try them out

KailaJune
02-12-2011, 4:03 AM
I would suggest blood worms as well. Also, they are nocturnal so you might look for activity at night. Mine is approximately 10 inches & quite active, especially when it is dark/dim.

j.blue02
02-14-2011, 4:04 PM
Good luck.
I've had bad luck with keeping them alive, unlike other bichirs

Roryf
02-20-2011, 2:15 PM
I have had reedfish before.

It posed no threat whatsoever to my fish, although i did loose it for around a month, I did server water changes checked my gravel and even the filter system then one day it woke me up by jumping out of the tank! (they can jump quite high and powerful, so make sure you keep something heavy on top of your tank otherwise you will wake up to a dead ropefish on your carpet (not nice)

If i remember correctly I kept him/her with smallish fish but i dont reccomend tetras as the ropefish will most likely have a field day!

Roryf
02-20-2011, 2:17 PM
Food:
Do they only eat live food? Or can they be weaned on to carnivore pellets? if i remember correctly i fed my reedfish bloodworm.

Special water requirements? they are quite hard fish so it shouldn't matter too much

Yoda1
02-22-2011, 6:24 AM
Food:
Do they only eat live food? Or can they be weaned on to carnivore pellets? if i remember correctly i fed my reedfish bloodworm.

Special water requirements? they are quite hard fish so it shouldn't matter too much

Mine are very happy eating frozen bloodworm and frozen tubifex worms.
They also come out when I feed beefheart to the Angels they are with. But the bits seem to small for them.

The LFS I got my Reed fish from claim that they were eatomg Tetra Prima, but they have never eaten it in my tank.

Mine are in straight tap water - PH 7.5 and seem healthy enough.

Yoda1
02-22-2011, 1:07 PM
Just as I was claiming that my Reeds never eat pellets.....

This evening when I was feeding Prima to my other fish, the 2 smallest ones came out and started picking at the food that had fallen to the floor of the tank.