Reed Fish

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
Hi All,

I would like to keep Reed Fish, but my research is very conflicting.
Some people say they are species only, and shouldn't be kept with other fish. As they will either eat them. Or will be out competed for food. Others say not a problem in a community tank.

So my questions are:

What is the minimum size tank?
Should they always be kept in pairs or more?
Are they safe with other fish? Say Corry/ Tetra size and larger?

Food:
Do they only eat live food? Or can they be weaned on to carnivore pellets?

Special water requirements?

Sorry for all the questions. But I would rather have my facts correct before going ahead and getting them.

Thanks
Yoda1

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
I saw people kept them, but I've never kept one, judging from their size, a couple of them should be fine in a 50g, but bigger is always better. Any tankmates small enough to fit in their mouth would be eaten, but they can be trained to eat pellets. Reedfish/ropefish is not my favorite, bichirs looks better.

taisho75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2010
Small Island in SE Asia
Yoda1;4671985; said:
What is the minimum size tank?
Should they always be kept in pairs or more?
Are they safe with other fish? Say Corry/ Tetra size and larger?

Food:
Do they only eat live food? Or can they be weaned on to carnivore pellets?

Special water requirements?
I hope I can be of help as I am keeping 2 reed fish myself.

They are housed in a 2ft x1ft x 2.5ft tank, and has not try any smaller tank.

They can comm with other fishes that are bigger than their mouth and readily take live food and carnivore pellets. I dun see any special water requirements for them, but it need to be clean.

Maybe there are other who can share their experience with you. :)

theexoticbichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2010
West Chester, PA
I have a reed fish(ropefish) and they are easy to care for and maintain.

They should be okay with your fish , but it depends what your housing them with.

They have tough scales and therefore can be housed in a semi aggresive tank.(just don't put them with cichlids)

You would be fine feeding them carnivore pellets, but most of them are on the stubborn side so live foods like ghost shrimp are preferred. !WARNING! they will grow big enough to eat any fish smaller than 2in( thats why I feed mine feeder rosy reds).

I would be careful when housing them with community fish.

I would recomend a senegal bichir because of your fish( but once again don't house them with small fish)

Hope I helped:)

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
Hi,

Thanks for the info.
Am I correct in saying Reed Fish are less predatory then Bicher?

Thanks
Squidward

angryinsect

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
British Columbia Canada
definitley less aggressive than a bichir, but will eat anything small enough to fit in their mouth. that being said, i have 4 from 8-12'' that have been living peacefully with 5 white clouds for the last 3 months

pi-eyed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I've kept reedfish with cichlids before. They were in my 55g grow out tank. I had them pellet trained and they were getting along fine with tankmates. Then one day I found one stuck to the uplift tube. A couple days later the other one died suddenly. Both died for no apparent reason. The water parameters were fine. I had them for like 6 months before their demise. Needless to say I've had no luck with reedfish.

Good luck,
Chris

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
As long as the other fishes couldn't fit into it's mouth and isn't aggressive, yes they can co-exist

bigchief

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
glenoma, washington
i keep 6 in a 150 with 3 sens, 5 corys,6 glass catfish , and about 20 whiteclouds had them for about 7 or 8 months not problems, no casulitys..all in all a some what easy fish too keep ,,enjoy them emensely

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store