what do the L###'s stand for?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The "L Number" system began when two German magazines began featuring newly discovered Loricariids in their magazines. Since these species were not yet described to science, the magazines began assigning them "L numbers". The German magazine "DATZ" (Die Aquarien und Terrarienzeitschrift) started with the designation L1 for the Loricariid which has now been described as Glyptopterichthys joselimaianus. So now L1 is retired. Another German magazine "Das Aquarium", also began to run a similar feature in its magazine and labeled the fishes as LDA followed by a number. At the time of writing, the DATZ L system is somewhere above L370 and the LDA system is above LDA 70 - neither show signs of slowing. This numbering system has caught on and new species of Corydoras are now being assigned "C Numbers".

Finally, along came the Aqualog series of books and they published a book with all the known L numbers with photos or drawings of each fish. This makes things a lot easier since not all of us, in America or the UK, have access to back issues of German aquarium magazines. There are apparently some problems though because not all of the photos in the Aqualog book match the species in the photos that ran in the original magazines. So sometimes it is necessary to note where you L number is coming from (magazine or book).

Note: As new species are being discovered and different morphs are noted at different ages within a species, some plecs are in the listings more than once. Number changes are occurring quite frequently and will most likely continue for years to come.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
theoretically as soon as a species is described by science and given a proper latin name, the L number of that pleco should be retired. but of course it has stayed just because it is easier to say L001 than glyptopterichthys joselimaianus

green_fox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2006
canada
thank you i only have a 10 gal so i cant keep a pleco that i know of

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
people have bred commonly found ancistrus species in 10gs. i imagine plecos that max out at 3-4" would be ok. whats the dimension of a US 10 gallon

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
ummm....never knew that!

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
There are plenty of species that can be kept in a 10. Clown plecos, many bristlenose, zebras, L260s and many many more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store