PDA

View Full Version : How to STOP FROGS COMING IN TO MY POND

Mayuka
12-22-2010, 3:41 AM
i have a major problem with TADS AND Frogs in my pond.
and i lost lot of my fish because of this :( :irked: :irked::cry:
if any one have idea to avoid them coming to my pond..

please help me with this, i lost ma half of monsters with poison i guess.
:)

baby bass
12-22-2010, 3:43 AM
i would sorta like that more food for my bass HAHA

Mayuka
12-22-2010, 3:48 AM
it's not going to help
if with sme frogs..

Spiritofthesoul
12-22-2010, 4:11 AM
a low electric fence?

GolemGolem
12-22-2010, 4:20 AM
Pretty tough, I have frogs in my back yard all during spring, and the only thing that helps are snakes, and drought. Maybe, if possible a tight cover for your pond, and then net out and kill any tadpoles/frogs. At least you don't have racoons?

Cookie*
12-22-2010, 7:08 AM
How big is the pond? What fish are stocked in it? My first thoughts are- I would screen it over if you are able to. Some kind of screen material that doesn't allow anything under 1/4"-1/2" through. Get some stock that will eat off what is in the pond already.

drlower
12-22-2010, 7:16 AM
I am curios as to type of fish in pond and what type of numbers are we talkin on the frogs.

Oscarum monstruoso
12-22-2010, 9:38 AM
How do the frogs hurt the fish?

I would give the frogs a better alternative nearby. Build a small muddy pond and make it frog friendly, in time they will all migrate there.

viewofthebay
12-22-2010, 10:25 AM
If you have a pond that can house larger kois, they will limit the frogs in your pond. The larger kois are always hungry and will eat most of the tadpole and froglets. Frogs in your pond are usually seasonal. They like to bred in fish pond because it is a safe haven compared to the creek or moving water. If you have larger kois, that will create an environment that is not favorable for a frog breeding ground. Good Luck.

Spiritofthesoul
12-22-2010, 1:19 PM

Im assuming those frogs are poisonous since OP states he lost his fishes

kevinfleming21
12-22-2010, 1:21 PM
get a snake haha

Pazzoman
12-22-2010, 4:58 PM
....frogs eat fish....which is probably why thier hurting the fish or at least harassing them. If these are little leopard frogs they can't really take on any fish over 4in.....if where talken about bull frogs......then the fish have to be huge.

xthao3
12-22-2010, 5:41 PM
throw a p.bass in there

Pazzoman
12-22-2010, 5:51 PM
Lol problem solved ^

Oscarum monstruoso
12-22-2010, 5:59 PM
How about a fake owl? It will keep a lot of vermin out.

Mayuka
12-22-2010, 11:41 PM
well
koi , cat fish , giant gurami
(BUT i ONLY HAVE CATFISH THEIR, other poisend i gues. all dead.)
am thinking if i cant solve this thng planing to take PIRANHA OR SANKE HEAD (Revenge on frogs :D)

pinajaime
12-23-2010, 11:25 AM
put granulate salt around the pond, frogs hate salt do this and problem solve, i work constructing pond and acuariums and the number 1 problem are frog and birds, do the salt thing and thank me later.

ar0wan
12-23-2010, 11:42 AM
get a snake haha

+1

/shakes tiny fist

ballinouttacntrol
12-23-2010, 11:49 AM
may i recommend frog basebaaalllllllllllll!

AheMvX4RxRA

ar0wan
12-23-2010, 11:49 AM
wholly crap that was like episode #1
good call ballin

*golf clap*

ballinouttacntrol
12-23-2010, 12:10 PM
*daps*

they don't even have the final voices in yet

makoshoemaker
12-23-2010, 12:13 PM
bb gun? and just wait for em

HungDang
12-23-2010, 12:55 PM
use chives they can prevent frog and snake from coming in your home ! frog hate that smell, plant that thing around your pond may help ! and you could use it in cocking !

HexHammer
12-26-2010, 7:27 AM
I would build a fence around the pond and net up the frogs and tads, and set up some antibird feature since birds can transport small frog eggs on their feets.

koienterprise
12-26-2010, 2:20 PM
use chives they can prevent frog and snake from coming in your home ! frog hate that smell, plant that thing around your pond may help ! and you could use it in cocking !

Great tip HungDang! Have you tried this....first I heard of it. May have do a test with this in spring.

HungDang
12-26-2010, 7:22 PM
Great tip HungDang! Have you tried this....first I heard of it. May have do a test with this in spring.
actually its a plant that in the same family with chives with stronger smell but I can't find the English name of it! During the vietnam war, people in Vietnam use it to prevent toads, frogs, snakes, ... from coming to the bomb shelter.

the name they called it in Vietnamese is " cy nn " if you google it you can see some pictures and maybe know what kind of plant is that !

HungDang
12-26-2010, 7:27 PM
also garlic can have the similar effect !

HungDang
12-26-2010, 7:39 PM
you can use chives for this problem, it may work but I'm not really sure !

gazelle
12-26-2010, 7:43 PM
snakehead

or try the salt thing

HungDang
12-26-2010, 7:48 PM
snakehead

or try the salt thing
snakehead won't work since there are poison frogs. Salt can destroy the ground and you can't plant any flower around, and you will need a lot of salt !

Mayuka
12-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Thnks alot
am working with this salt thing.
and up to now it's effective, but the prob is frogs they come to pond in when it\'s raining .
so now am trying to find this plant ur teling. that will help me.
then salt + that smel :D

cudamaster13
12-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Im assuming those frogs are poisonous since OP states he lost his fishes

toads only way to stop is by putting screen over or some sort of fence

HungDang
12-28-2010, 12:08 AM
OK, I found that plant! it is a kind of chive, you can buy seeds at Home Depot or Lowers, here the link of Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Seeds-Flowers-Herbs-Fruits-Vegetables/Burpee/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbo8jZ5yoeaZar/R-100389828/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Or: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgg/R-202228611/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
the other products, I don't know because I recognized this plant by the flower !

studd muffin
12-28-2010, 12:37 AM

I would give the frogs a better alternative nearby. Build a small muddy pond and make it frog friendly, in time they will all migrate there.

:headbang2

redtailcatfreak
01-18-2011, 10:21 PM
u could try getting some guppies. i live in florida and we have wild guppies that i catch but the ones from a pet store will work too. they keep all the mosqitoes and frogs out of the pond. they eat all the eggs and tadpoles. they used this technique in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina. they put them in peoples pools that were abandoned to keep control of these pest populations.

HungDang
01-19-2011, 11:12 PM
u could try getting some guppies. i live in florida and we have wild guppies that i catch but the ones from a pet store will work too. they keep all the mosqitoes and frogs out of the pond. they eat all the eggs and tadpoles. they used this technique in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina. they put them in peoples pools that were abandoned to keep control of these pest populations.
seem like these frogs coming to the pond not just for laying eggs, they come to eat fish too ! so guppies won't be very effective !

The_Nuge
02-07-2011, 7:20 AM
water movement will usually keep them from using the pond to breed. I got toads when my pump was down for a while. after i fixed the pump the toads and the tad poles were gone!

WckedMidas
02-07-2011, 9:55 AM
toads are poisonous to fish in case u didnt no. Billfrogs and such arent. Im guessing your geting a toad invasion during there breeding season.
sry no idea for controling them just guesing there toads

Piranha101
02-07-2011, 10:22 AM
try some type of fencing or wall around it

Muske
02-17-2011, 12:26 PM
fence or wall:screwy:
Might as well make it an above ground pond.

How about a net and manually remove them.

I'm with the Nuge, more flow. I have frogs and toads visit, but not spawn. I also have a friend who doesnt like to run his pond all the time and he has mad tadpoles in the spring.

peters817
02-28-2011, 7:07 PM
I too am trying to get ready for spring, last year I had toads come and make home in and around my small ponds, well my fish died, all of them. I found out that the eggs are toxic to the fish, plus something that the toad excretes is deadly to fish. I caught them time after time, moved them to a pond at a park, I had to empty the pond and wash off the plants to rid of eggs, So I would really like to find a way of keeping these bug eating wonderful creatures out of my pond , but leave in my garden! Any suggestions?

5_fish_in_a_pond
03-13-2011, 8:48 PM
Sounds like a toad invasion to me. Frogs are normally the sign of a healthy pond. My suggestion would be to pick up a cheep "pond filter" from home depot to get water moving in the pond, it tends to discourage toads as I have found out. Another thing that I would suggest is to have your dog or a neighbor's dog walk about your pond about once a week, the smell alone should discourage toads and raccoons too!

Buckmaster
04-01-2011, 5:07 AM
my bass would love those guys ;)

andyroo
04-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Mayuka,
This is actually a very important question for anybody where toads are toxic, like Florida or the southern US or Australia or here as we also have Bufo marinus introduced and it has toxic life-stages.

I'm importing $2000 US worth of fish for a private (pond) re-fit and if toadpoles (rampant/chronic) are going to be problematic I'll need to re-think my stocking choices.

Does anybody in Florida or South/Central America have an outdoor pond with this issue? Are fish from areas with these sorts of toads naturally going to be less susceptible to toxins or know not to eat the eggs/toadpoles/adults?

Mayuka, what types of fish do you have (still)- what has survived, what has died?

You fellas with the Cichla food suggestions- try it and keep us posted!

Thanks,
A

The_Nuge
04-24-2011, 11:40 PM
I had toads in mine last year before i put the pump in the skimmer.. eggs all over too. as soon as i hooked up the pump and got the water moving the toads moved out!

this year i have my two large mouth bass that out grew my tank standing guard..lol
as i always do i had to rebuild an aquascape pump for my pond since there only good for a season. i get the return pumps from my friend whos an installer. this time i rebuilt a 4500 GPH pump for my 350 gal pond! we might have rapids in the stream this year! whoooa!

amazonfishman
04-28-2011, 4:20 PM
Pics of the frog/toad or their tadpoles would help people ID them for sure. If they are just common frogs or leopard frogs though there should be several fish species large enough to eat them. Have you checked all your other water parameters to be sure it isn't something else that caused the fish die off, like nitrite/dissolved o2 too low, ammonia?

troppond
05-02-2011, 6:05 PM
get a bass or catfish or even alligator gar, if the koi are big enough they can live with a gator gar and the toads would never, ever come back ;)