Scats - Anyone Keep Them?

GettingSassy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2006
Tucson, AZ
You know, it's nearly impossible to find information on these things, and there are so many conflicting reports, it's a pain to sort things out. So I'll go right to the heavy hitters.

Anyone keeping scats? I'd enjoy ruby ones, or silver ones, or even the green ones, just in terms of markings and coloration. How big do they generally get? I've seen reports of 6" to 12". How big a tank do they need? (In other words, how much do I have to con the husband into spending, and how much room in the living room am I clearing? :D ) I keep reading that they're both aggressive and peaceful. This is not helpful. You tend to be one or the other...

I know they eventually need nearly full seawater, and that you can't really breed them. And that they eat all plants to the roots. But how are they really? Are they active? Boring?

Thanks!

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I have kept scat for years
The reds look great as juvie, but lose there nice coloration at 4 inches
The Greens also lose there color at 4+ inches, then turn a dull grey
The silvers stay the same thruout,
I have grown them to 6-8 inches, then they would die, I feel the lack of salt was the reason
Very active fish,
No chance for keeping plants, none!
Not sexable
No breeding
Prone to getting sick, must keep very clean water
Should use sea salt(I have used kosher salt with little problems?)
Great fish, very underrated
Let me know if there is anything else I can help with
Alex

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Must have pollutant-clean water but, turbid. Scats prefer green water and increasing saline levels as they mature. Eventually becoming heavy brackish/low marine salt levels. I was able to achieve the greenwater without a constantly clogging filter by utilizing a pond filter with coarse bio-materials.
Any plantings you attempt will become the next meal on their menu.
They're not schooling fish as adults but they will loosely shoal. Aggression is curbed by keeping either 1 or many. Trying to maintain 2 or 3 will result in battering from the dominant leader. This is one of the "fabulous 5" species where the number to maintain is 5 or above.
They possess rasping teeth for making short work of hair and other macro algaes. Captive feedings can include raw cabbage, turnip greens, brussel sprouts, frozen peas, and just about any fruit. The occassional meaty food will do them good and may include; bloodworms, brineshrimp, mysis shrimp, etc. Prepared foods such as algae wafers, veggie sticks, rabbit pellets, and frozen marine herbivorous diets are also readily taken.
Because of their large adult size, shoaling numbers, and water parameter requirements, scats should be housed in as large a tank as possible. I had a dozen foot-long silvers in a 300gal and it looked overcrowded and needed frequent water changes due to their amount of waste (like active placos) and messy eating habits (tearing and rasping).

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
BTW, there is a species of scat (Scatophagus tetracanthus - striped scat) that doesn't inhabit marine environments. They hail from the Pangani River in Tanzania. These fish can be maintained under the same conditions as rift lake cichlids (high pH).
Their downside is that they have a frustratingly rare availability. And, when a precious few do become available, they usually carry a very high price tag.

Scatophagus tetracanthus.jpg

GettingSassy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Thanks for the information! Sounds like they'll take a sizey tank.

It's too bad those striped scats are so rare. They're gorgeous! Maybe I can find some. I have a penchant for striped fish.

Thank you again for the info!

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
landmineyouth;499274; said:
I have a green, love em. Theres an entire few-page article on scats in this months AFM. Check that out.
is that the issue after the bannerfish issue? i don't have a subscription, i have to wait til the distributor says we can put them on the shelves

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store