Experience with para plecos (L075)?

Ender720

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2006
CA -LA
I've had mine for about 2 1/2 months and he's great. got him at 5" and he's about 6" now. What's funny is that he was kept in a tank with 10 other plecos at my LFS however i'm just keeping him with a royal now as well as 7 diff variation gouramis and all of a sudden lately i've noticed him getting more and more territorial. He's biting on the royal (thank god) or any of the other fish, its just when the royal tries to eat he lunges at the royal from across the tank and scares him. My question is will it eventually start attacking it? and is there anything i can do to make it less territorial? and can i add more plecs to the tank?

Thanks

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
duno how big is the tank? have more retreats and places to hide. hope you got bogwood in there. how bigs the royal? plecos will always have little scraps over territory when they meet etc, its up to you to judge how bad it is really. does he eat the food the royal was? i will say make sure your royal is getting food though, because they are a species that will be bullied away from food by more agressive plecs.

TheRayMaster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have had my L75 for about 6 months now. Started out at about 3 inches and is now about 6 or so I believe. He is in a 100 gallon with other plecs his size (including a Royal that is a little larger than he is) and some discus. Never really had problems with aggression with him. He is a lot more bold than the other plecs. He will come out and swim with the fish (playing or looking for food I guess) and he loves zuchinni. Other than that, he is a great fish to have. How big is the tank you have yours in?

Ender720

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2006
CA -LA
I have a 40 gal tank with caves, bogwood, decorations and fake plants. Ideally if i did add another pleco i'd put in more caves. To davo, I agree he gets bullied around a lot, but he does get his share of food since i've tried to give him his own territory on the other side of the tank and direct the zuchinni towards him. The royal is about 4.5" and doing better now that i arranged the bogwood to suit his area. RayMaster that's awesome that ur Para swims with the other fish mine just does his own thing and doesn't really care for the others (other than the Royal). Do you have pics? and what other plecs do u keep it with?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
theyre aggression/territorial comes out more and more as they get older. if its not getting beat up, as long as it can compete/is getting food, everything should be ok.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store