Mono questions

MiDi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2006
Portland,Or
hey everyone i am about to pick up some 6" tall mono sabe from one of the wholesalers i buy from because of my work. how big to they get? i have a couple of mono arg and they are the size of my hand.

thanks

iglowce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2006
Anaheim
www.myspace.com
i have 2 mono's... but mine are the mono argentine.. i would recommend get a pair at the same time of the same size because they will chase each other if one is introduced earlier. mine are fine. they are chasing but no harm. although i noticed they will nip on other slow swimmers in the tank... but not too much. overall they are great addition. but dont put it wt angels, discus or fancy goldfish. hope that helps

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I have a dozen Monodactylus sebae. These fish are fresh/slight brack when young and go to near full marine as adults with spawning occurring in full marine. These fish can reach 8" in length and 15" in height.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
Oddball;499222; said:
I have a dozen Monodactylus sebae. These fish are fresh/slight brack when young and go to near full marine as adults with spawning occurring in full marine. These fish can reach 8" in length and 15" in height.
how far down the road do they require full marine? i plan to get a pair because my friend has one in fresh for over a year and its still in full fresh. i dont wanna get them if they require full marine in the future. or can they survive fresh for life since its captive?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
In fresh, adults are duller in color, more prone to disease, grow to a smaller size, and live shorter lives. I'm not going to offer a timeline on the transition since I already offered the info: "near full marine as adults". You'll have to take ownership of your own maintenance decisions.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Shoot! Forgot to mention...Monos are in the "Fantastic 5" group. Meaning either keep 1 or 5+ together. Pairs and trios will nip constantly at each other (as adults). With 5 or more shoaling behavior takes over and there's less aggression.
Keeping just one means plenty of cover is needed as individuals are more skittish when not in a group.

landmineyouth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
North Miami
www.djrobriggs.com
I have 3 seabae's and 2 argentus mono's all housed together. They chase each other a bit (the largest seabae at least keeps everyone in line) but besides that no real problems. All in full-fresh and have been for almost a year, but soon I am adding salt and gradually bringing it to a brackish level to ensure better health as odd-ball said...

I'd go full salt for them, but they also live with an archer who cant tolerate that.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Oddball;499260; said:
Shoot! Forgot to mention...Monos are in the "Fantastic 5" group. Meaning either keep 1 or 5+ together. Pairs and trios will nip constantly at each other (as adults). With 5 or more shoaling behavior takes over and there's less aggression.
Keeping just one means plenty of cover is needed as individuals are more skittish when not in a group.
i only have one, but i think my scat and him decided they are going to shoal together. I guess they are like adopted brothers or something lol. Also, I haven't had any nipping from the mono but he is with the scat who is a little bit "special" and they swim together and keep each other company. It took about a week and a half for my scat to leave his hiding spot from behind my filter but now they are ALWAYS together. It's cool how they swim side by side in the tank.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
If you want to get a nice sheen on your scat, offer it frozen peas, sliced kiwi, and the occassional cabbage leaf/celery top/carrot top. The more fresh veggie matter in a scat's diet, the brighter it gets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store