Sunfish in Brackish

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
I am taking an oceanography/marine biology class and today we got an assignment to do reasearch on local brackish/marine fish. Luckily, I got some of the oddballs (puffers, file fish, sea robins, flatfish) and I was looking at the chart and it showed that Bluegills can live in brackish water. Is this true? Could it be possible for me to get a 1-2 inch bluegill for my tank and accilmate him? I live in delaware if this helps, and I think it would be cool if I got atleast one local fish in the tank. Should I quaruntee him first? I was thinking about setting up a small tank to move my gobies and mollies into becaue they won't survive much longer with my fish. Should I put him in there for a little bit and then switch them in like a month? Any input?

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
What's your SG? Bluegills will probably do just fine in anything up to 1.005 SG, IMO.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
1.012 but it showed fresh to middle brackish on the chart and my friend caught some in maryland in a bay while crabbing

dredcon

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2006
Thibodaux, LA
I've collected many lepomis in brackish waters, most commonly redears and red spotted sunfish. The first time I collected sunfish and snapper in the same pull I thought it was crazy. When the salinity gets above about 4ppt they become stressed. I have seen collections that contained blue spotted sunfish and bluegill that came from salinties of above 10ppt. I say go for it.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Thanks dredcon, I think I am going to get one the next time I go fishing. The smallest one I can get of couse. Any other natives that will fit in a 75 gallon mid brackish tank with fish the same size as the sunfish. Do sunfish grow fast? I was thinking a yellow perch, I hear they are nice looking.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
yea, so have I. That is why i wanted to get one. I have raised some in my neighbors pond and they are oscar size now. :headbang2 I was also thinking about getting a Yellow perch.

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
many fish can live in brackish, many even salt water, just that we don't understand it.

fish we don't commonly thinky can live in salt or brackish include.

alligator gars, tilapias (oreochromis sp.), most livebearers, poecilia,xiphopherus, etc.., most salmons and trouts, and many more...the list goes on and on

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
fugupuff;909055; said:
many fish can live in brackish, many even salt water, just that we don't understand it.

fish we don't commonly thinky can live in salt or brackish include.

alligator gars, tilapias (oreochromis sp.), most livebearers, poecilia,xiphopherus, etc.., most salmons and trouts, and many more...the list goes on and on
if its not to much trouble can you wright a list for us newbies to brackish:popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store