ID this pleco please

Valyrian

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Queens, NY
My sister called me from a LFS telling me that they had gold nugget plecos for $6 to which I promptly replied, "BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Well she brought it home and it was obvious that it wasnt a gold pleco but I still thought it was nice pleco for $6.

I later went to the LFS and they had the same pleco labeled gold nugget gibbiceps but I'm still not sure. Here are pics.

You can tell from the neon how small it is right now

Damn neon!!!

That neon was hovering in front of the camera the whole time I was trying to take pics of the pleco lol

Valyrian

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Queens, NY
Actually, I'm still not sure if it's a normal gibbiceps. It's hard to tell from the pics but the markings on the tail and dorsal fins form distinct lines, unlike pictures I have seen of gibbiceps. Does this change with age?

koliveira

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
Atascadero CA
www.undertheamazon.com
I don't think that changes with age. I have seen a l lot of L083 with solid lines on the dorsal but only the top two lines on the fin and the same goes for the cuadal fin last two lines were solid.

Can you post a few more pics. One from above and one with his dorsal fin raised if possible? Could be something else..

abpositive

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2006
Tempe, AZ
I just bought a little cutie jsut like that labeled a "butterfly" plec.
Pretty sure it's a Gibby (sailfin).
I'm keeping mine even though it's gonna be a monster!:headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store